New True Ugrade Offer

marquess

What is the deal behind this offer, does anyone know, I seen something in the Data Base of todays Bangkok Post. Looking at the website it is all in Thai despite pressing the button for English. There is some mention in the news paper advert, that they will be giving everyone "An extra 256kps, will be automatically given for free through April 30, 2007, starting on 6th Feb. To all existing and new customers" with the exception of those on the Junior Package. Is this going to be a permanent upgrade? Because from what I can see that they are advertising on this new SUPER hi speed Internt, existing customers will be paying more than new ones. For example 750 a month is supposed to get new customers 1.5Mbps, whilst I for example am paying that for 512/256. Any answers of clarifications to the above would be most welcome indeed! :o

Edited by Totster
Removed formatting

I personally wouldn't believe anything True internet say.

On my box when I got internet installed, was written 'True Hi-speed' internet.

It should have said ' True - sometimes average, sometimes low, sometimes <deleted> all speed internet- but hey, we're all as bad as each other so <deleted> you'

http://www.primenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=113111

Dicusses the deep packet inspection that True are using to allocate bandwidth on the new Hi-speed "unlimited" packages...

I'm guessing that, as a phone company, True are unlikely to let SIP work (which is why Vonage can have issues here, whereas Skype, which is encrypted, seems to always work wonderfully). Also, the unlimited part of the package is obviously crap, if they're packet-shaping everything.

The press release from the company supplying the packet shaping software (the link above) has my favourite phrase. The one where customer satisfaction exceeds 80%. In other words, only 20% of customers will be dissatisfied with the service (and I'm guessing that 20% will basically include everyone that has ever used the internet in countries with proper ISPs).

Edited by bkk_mike

I would be quite happy if True does something about customers who use the internet like they own it. I'm talking about bittorrent users who will do everything to saturate their connection to the fullest, all day, every day, and then do abosolutely nothing with the content that they download. High-speed, low cost broadband wasn't designed for this kind of stupid behavior. Just keep stats on each user's int'l downloads, and kick anyone who downloads, say 100GB/day. Lose one customer, gain the respect and gratitude of 100 customers.

I haven't received any speed boost yet, but it says they'll be increasing speed for various households gradually from now until the 20th of Feb, so I might get a speed boost later. Although I'm still getting 2.5mbit theoretical line speed as before, the effective international speed has increased tremendously since monday. I used to get speed test (from speakeasy) results of around 100kbits, now I'm getting around 2 mbits, and it's reflected in my downloads which have sped up quite a bit. P2P, sadly, still sucks.

The notice page on True's website says it's because of the national communications board's policy to force an increase in the nation's international bandwidth (which means:go to hel_l CAT Telecom). They however say that if this policy is not enforced (or canned), True reserves the right to cancel the upgrade. You also have to be either a True Move or UBC (True Visions) customer to be eligable for the updgrade.