Uk Visa Fees

Visa fees to increase from 1 April 2007

Home Office and Foreign and Commonwealth Office Ministers are publishing the response to a public consultation on a new system of charging those who come to the UK to visit, study, live or work.

To view the article in full, visit the page below:

Click here to view the article

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pa...d=1171458613348

Kind regards,

UKvisas Webmaster

It's the same-day service.

I would urge anyone whose spouse has to apply for indefinite leave from 1 April to urgently research their family tree with a view to discovering whether they are entitled to citizenship of another EEA country, and to then use that passport for the purposes of obtaining their spouse's permission to stay which would then be free of charge. Additionally, anyone not entitled to a passport of another EEA country should seriously consider going to another EEA country with their spouse just long enough to register with the authorities there, and to then use that status for the purposes of returning to the UK. Again, this would be free of charge.

Scouse.

Reading the publicity spiel it is interesting to note that the government is maintaining their usual standard in spinning black into white.

Apparently, these absurd hikes are to ensure Bliar's Britain remains competitive in attracting new migrants to its 'vibrant ' economy.

The reality of course is the opposite in that they are simply shafting a captive market and settlement cases therefore bear the greatest burden. At these rates applicants may well think twice before 'going it alone ' and will instruct suitable representation.

I quote from the UKVisas document listed above:

Para 1.Flexible pricing has been underpinned by public consultation in UK on the principles for charging,

UKvisas aims to improve the UK's competitiveness as a destination for travel, trade, migration and investment through programmes which prevent immigration abuse, deliver value for money and earn public confidence. Essentially, we have an increase in costs arising from a substantial change programme: to improve the control, to improve further customer service, to position us for a restructuring which will deliver substantial efficiency increases, and to integrate more effectively with the end-to end border control and migration system.

1. What PUBLIC CONSULTATION? Anybody on this board ever heard about this. I suppose like last time it is to 'keep up with comparable charges in other countries' ie Oz!

2. Para 2. Can anyone tell me what on earth this means?..'a substantial change programme' what is that?..'improve the control' 'a restructuring which will etc...'end-to-end'.I thought the so called Crystal Mark was supposed to have put an end to this kind of Civil Service gobbledygook.

Mind you to be able to live In Perpetuity in the UK for £950 has got to be a good deal hasn't it? "England "Thread Notwithstanding...Just gotta find the boy..or girl

Edited by srisatch

I would urge anyone whose spouse has to apply for indefinite leave from 1 April to urgently research their family tree with a view to discovering whether they are entitled to citizenship of another EEA country, and to then use that passport for the purposes of obtaining their spouse's permission to stay which would then be free of charge.

Cheers Scouse. I was twoing and frowing (sp) as to wether or not i would take up my Irish citizenship and trying to get the Mrs through the citizenship test.

But now my mind is well and truly made up. Get my Irish passport (about 50 quidish) and get the family permit gratis. Saving about £700 in ILR fees and whatever for the Citizenship test. Although i will want Mrs Boj to carry on with her English lessons.

All this putting up visa prices to rip-off levels only strengthens a resolve i have had for ages anyway , which is to live so many decades past my retirement age (a long way off unfortunately!) that i will draw from the Government so much money in weekly pensions and handouts that i will no longer be the net contributor to the ecomony i have been up to now , but will get back not only all i have paid in , but tens (hundreds?)of thousands of pounds i have not. I will also do all i can to keep my Thai partner alve so he may also sponge as much as possible off this country as soon as he can. That WILL give me enourmous satisfaction , and the desire to do so will act like an engine which in turn will keep me alive even longer. ( i can hear Scouse groaning now ..i'm here for ever guys :o )

I already get immense pleasure from the fact that both my parents are not only alive , but well alive .. and getting all the usual pensioner handouts every week way beyond what they have put in.

So they can put up their visa fees as much as they like , i for one intend getting every penny back and so much more.

I will also do all i can to keep my Thai partner alve so he may also sponge as much as possible off this country as soon as he can. That WILL give me enourmous satisfaction , and the desire to do so will act like an engine which in turn will keep me alive even longer.

:o:D ha haa! like it!

Mark

For info.

Anyone who might be interested in gaining an Irish passport, can download the application here:- http://www.foreignaffairs.gov.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253

If you think you might be eligible for Irish citizenship, you can check here:- http://www.foreignaffairs.gov.ie/home/index.aspx?id=267#ent

Top o'the mornin to ya, t'be sure, t'be sure :o

He skips away to the tune of "Oh Danny boy" knowing he has saved alot of hassle and about £750 :D

Edit// P.S. For the issue of a Standard passport, valid for ten years the fee is €75 (euro's)

Edited by mrbojangles

Sorry to rain on your parade, MrBJ, but I think as she entered the UK with a settlement visa as the spouse/fiance of a British citizen she cannot now change her status to the spouse of an EEA citizen in order to get an EEA family permit.

Can anyone confirm?

The charges for FLR, ILR etc. were a rip off when they were first introduced. Universities in particular were very vocal in their opposition to them as they made the UK less attractive to foreign students.

The Conservatives, through the then Shadow Immigration Minister Humfrey Malins, were very vocal in their opposition to these charges. Should they win the next election will they abolish them? Don't hold your breath!

This government since it first came to power seems to have introduced a whole raft of legislation which has provided large amounts of work for human rights lawyers. The Prime Ministers wife is a prominent human rights lawyer. Coincidence?

out of interest - if a thai already had ILR status here but was now planning on bringing her daughter from thailand to UK - would the daughter need to also take the new Life in UK test after 2 years... or do children have different rules?

would the daughter need to also take the new Life in UK test after 2 years... or do children have different rules?
Those over 65 or under 18 do not have to sit the 'Life in Uk' test to get ILR or Citizenship.

Always thought that rather unfair. Either everyone should take the test or no-one should. Its all a nonsense anyway, but why should those under 18 be exempt? equally why should people aged 65 or over be?

Always thought that rather unfair. Either everyone should take the test or no-one should. Its all a nonsense anyway, but why should those under 18 be exempt? equally why should people aged 65 or over be?
I suspect if everybody had to take it there would be those who thought it unfair that a 2 year old had to sit the test..... difficult to please everybody eh!

Sorry to rain on your parade, MrBJ, but I think as she entered the UK with a settlement visa as the spouse/fiance of a British citizen she cannot now change her status to the spouse of an EEA citizen in order to get an EEA family permit.

Can anyone confirm?

The charges for FLR, ILR etc. were a rip off when they were first introduced. Universities in particular were very vocal in their opposition to them as they made the UK less attractive to foreign students.

The Conservatives, through the then Shadow Immigration Minister Humfrey Malins, were very vocal in their opposition to these charges. Should they win the next election will they abolish them? Don't hold your breath!

This government since it first came to power seems to have introduced a whole raft of legislation which has provided large amounts of work for human rights lawyers. The Prime Ministers wife is a prominent human rights lawyer. Coincidence?

I'm hoping your wrong GU22 and i believe you are but we'll wait for conformation from the man :D

Ain't that the truth :o

You can't switch to gain an advantage in status, e.g. someone who is the spouse of an EEA/Brit dual national who entered the UK on a family permit, then can't present their spouse as being British for the purposes of gaining ILR after 2 years instead of 5. If someone wanted to do this, they would have to leave the UK and reapply for a settlement visa under the provisions of the immigration rules.

However, in MrBoJ's case he is not seeking to gain any advantage in his wife's status. Indeed, if anything, she will be disadvantaged as she will not gain ILR for another 5 years. Also, if Mr. Boj wishes to enforce his birthright and proudly proclaim himself to be Irish (I hear he intends to change his name by deed poll, too, to Finbar O'Flaherty) then there's nowt stopping him.

Scouse.

Well i wonder if good old gordon brown has something to do with the visa increases,as he is running out tax ideas back here,or is for the cost of the building work at the embassy!

But hey maybe by increasing the visa fees we may all get a better visa service where eco's take time to read the applications through fully.(sorry still hacked off).

I think the government is very pro cheap labour coming to the UK - and following the (WTO?) meeting in Switzerland recently some further barriers have been removed - so by increasing charges now this will be a tidy earner for yesr to come as immigrants come to the UK to work - already last year in the IT area foreign workers are up 27% from the year before, predominantly from india. The main organisations behind this are are large consultancies, who will not really be that concerned about a price rise. Ironically many of the overseas workers end up on government projects that just attempt to strengthen the big brotherness of this country. However, IMHO, many of these project will not deliver on their required benefits - but lots and lots of tax money gets thrown at them.

It seems the UK gov will not make moves like some other countries to a minimal service, but low tax environment - probably because of the ramifications and liabilities - it is such a fundamental change - but the current model is ultimately doomed as demographics change and the workforce primarily consist of low cost overseas labour who do not plan to be in the UK forever, sending their wealth back to their homeland. Unless of course the UK becomes so cheap that they decide to relocate permantly here. Very difficult to predict - to be honest thinking about this - what i have written above is just one possible outcome. A good recession - stock market, housing crash - significant loss of work and jobs - and big inflation - could be just the catalyst for some reasoned, appropriate change.

Getting another passport or citizenship from a low tax country is very useful - then consider expatriating from the UK if you have high net worth - alternatively get what you can from the Government while you can - it is just a tax refund really !

Unfortuneatly those who wish to bring their partners back to the UK get caught up in this. Its hardly like you married a thai girl to get her to do a job cheaper than some recent UK graduate from the Twickenham-on-thames (new) University. Pushing down the salaries of the local workers - I just wish I got a pay rise in line with the increase in Council Tax or better still the last round of rises in Gas and Electricity - or how about rises in Visa prices - now that would be a nice salary rise link !

But if you have a small company and wish to get overseas workers is it easier now than before ?

Edited by Khun Bob

Can anyone confirm?

I am not willing to defend anything but did this govt not get ride of the "Primary Purpose Rule"?

I beleive they did - but it was just a convenient way for them to say no if they wated to - and it was know that wife's from certain countires would have alot harder time to pass the rule than other countries - try getting a bangladeshi wife back to the UK 12 years ago !

But the JCWI Immigration Advisor Handbook was an excellent source of information to help fulfill the Primary Purpose Rule...

Can anyone confirm?

I am not willing to defend anything but did this govt not get ride of the "Primary Purpose Rule"?

I think the government is very pro cheap labour coming to the UK - and following the (WTO?) meeting in Switzerland recently some further barriers have been removed - so by increasing charges now this will be a tidy earner for yesr to come as immigrants come to the UK to work - already last year in the IT area foreign workers are up 27% from the year before, predominantly from india. The main organisations behind this are are large consultancies, who will not really be that concerned about a price rise. Ironically many of the overseas workers end up on government projects that just attempt to strengthen the big brotherness of this country. However, IMHO, many of these project will not deliver on their required benefits - but lots and lots of tax money gets thrown at them.

Bob,

I think you'll find that the British government wants to have their cake and eat it too. One one hand migration is an excellent way to keep a lid on wages...and hence, inflation. On balance, low inflation is good for everyone, though I totally understand if you turned around and told me it doesn't feel like low inflation to you (especially in the SE and with housing prices)!

On the other hand, from my perspective, they have not only jacked up HSMP fees over the past couple of years (for applying GBP120, then getting the acual visa at the embassy -GBP100 odd, and then getting the FLR - twice in my case - GBP 335) the requirements for keeping the HSMP visa have also gone up. Essentially now, you need to be earning in excess of GBP 35-40K to be able to stay in the UK as a non-EU independent migrant otherwise the b@stards won't extend your visa. The only other option is to get a work permit, but unless you have tramped around the UK trying to get a white collar job with no work authorisation, you'll soon find that Work Permits ain't that easy to come by.

I beleive they did - but it was just a convenient way for them to say no if they wated to - and it was know that wife's from certain countires would have alot harder time to pass the rule than other countries - try getting a bangladeshi wife back to the UK 12 years ago !

But the JCWI Immigration Advisor Handbook was an excellent source of information to help fulfill the Primary Purpose Rule...

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks for the confirmation - I remember the first time I went to Thailand Isat next to a guy whose wife was refused under the "Primary Pupose Rule" and from what he told me it was so unfair.

My best friend who is a high flyer in the FCO also got shit with his wife's application - yes its the Home Office for Immigration but myself and his sister say its theconly time he lost his temper