The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

It is getting close to that time of the year when the blustering wind and mind numbing cold of a Melbourne Winter starts and the locals wonder if there is any chance of getting a Victorian team into the Grand Final for 2007?

As a good South Australian lad I sincerely hope so because if there is one thing I love more than anything else is beating the Victorians at their own game so hoist your colours and sing your team song, 'cos Footy Seasons here. The first matches are on the weekend starting Friday 30 March.

Last year I used to go to the True Blue but sadly that venue appears to have closed indefinitely. Austhaied has advised in a different forum that the Down Under Bar and Restaurant will be showing the AFL of the big screen. I will do a reccie of the place and find out the schedule for when the matches will be played but am assuming that it will be from the ABC retrans over WeTV.

For all the Americans and assorted Europeans inlcuding the Poms - you are most welcome to join us in the celebration of this The Greatest Game Of All"

For now - lets get a show of hands (Avatars) of what's your team

Matt "GO THE MIGHTY CROWS" Crow Boy

Edited by Crow Boy
Poll Added

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brisba

It is getting close to that time of the year when the blustering wind and mind numbing cold of a Melbourne Winter starts and the locals wonder if there is any chance of getting a Victorian team into the Grand Final for 2007?

As a good South Australian lad I sincerely hope so because if there is one thing I love more than anything else is beating the Victorians at their own game so hoist your colours and sing your team song, 'cos Footy Seasons here. The first matches are on the weekend starting Friday 30 March.

Last year I used to go to the True Blue but sadly that venue appears to have closed indefinitely. Austhaied has advised in a different forum that the Down Under Bar and Restaurant will be showing the AFL of the big screen. I will do a reccie of the place and find out the schedule for when the matches will be played but am assuming that it will be from the ABC retrans over WeTV.

For all the Americans and assorted Europeans inlcuding the Poms - you are most welcome to join us in the celebration of this The Greatest Game Of All"

Brisbane Lions Rule :D:o Nignoy

Brisba

Nignoy are you:

1) an expat Fitzoy supporter who went up to Brisbane

2) an expat Victorian who then adopted the Lions, or

3) a genuine bananabender who took up the code?

Brisba

Nignoy are you:

1) an expat Fitzoy supporter who went up to Brisbane

2) an expat Victorian who then adopted the Lions, or

3) a genuine bananabender who took up the code?

Sorry!! neither of the 3 above, was Deported From Wigan in 1996 to Brisbane, The Lions and the Bronco,s were an obvious choice, once I learned the language :D:D Nignoy

REAL football is played with a round ball on an oblong field

NOT

an oblong ball on a round field

:D

And we all know why the Aussies use a round field don't we?

....... coz it gives the maximum playing ares for the length of shackle chain tied to a stake in the middle of the pitch :o:D

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

NOT

....... coz it gives the maximum playing ares for the length of shackle chain tied to a stake in the middle of the pitch :o:D

post-31110-1174131092_thumb.jpg

NOT

actually we call them "OVAL'S" and strangely enough they are :D

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Chiang Mai, so I'm moving it to Sport

p1p when I started this thread it was for Australians who like Australian football in Chiang Mai. The purpose was to get together like minded Aussies and to meet in a Chiang Mai pub to watch the game. I specifically named it Chaing Mai Ausssie Rules not Thailand or greater Asian Aussie Rules. I am thinking about closing this thread and requesting a new one which will be Chiang Mai specific. Many people, including myself do not look outside our local forum so the likelyhood is that visiting or resident Australians will not know to look in the general pool.

I have just spent 20 minutes trying to find this thread and think that at the very least you could have shown me the courtesy of sending me a PM to discuss it beforehand.

I am happy to discuss this with you via PM but my request is that you move the thread back to the CM forum. If at a later time it becomes Thailand wide with other expat Aussies from different regions then I would be happy to consider it better placed in the general forum but for now I don't think it appropriate.

regards

Matt

And heres one of the most famous "Ovals" in Australia, The MCG.

They should remember it from the number of times the Australian Cricket team beats them there - mind you the Poms spend so little time batting there it makes sense they don't recognise it.

Crowboy go here.. http://www.convictcreations.com/football/adelaidecrows.htm And for others who want to see a real team go here.. http://www.convictcreations.com/football/essendon.htm ..

South Australia's new team seemed to make a concerted effort to piss-off Port Adelaide supporters. Their guernsey featuring the state's colours, as well as the colours of every SANFL team - with the exception of Port. They appealed to everyone who liked football, hated Victorians and most importantly, hated Port Adelaide. Obviously such people were numerous as the club had no difficulty in selling out its home ground with membership tickets.

Sums it up in the one paragraph - especially the line "hates Victorians" - Hard to admit that my brother married a Victorian (from Terang) has two sons who support Victorian teams, one is a Geelong Cat and the other "oh the shame of it" Essendon Bombers. All of them support Victoria in the state of origin - my dad has disowned them and only refers to them whenever they lose :o

Good links though

You are a man of many talents

Crowboy go here.. http://www.convictcreations.com/football/adelaidecrows.htm And for others who want to see a real team go here.. http://www.convictcreations.com/football/essendon.htm ..

South Australia's new team seemed to make a concerted effort to piss-off Port Adelaide supporters. Their guernsey featuring the state's colours, as well as the colours of every SANFL team - with the exception of Port. They appealed to everyone who liked football, hated Victorians and most importantly, hated Port Adelaide. Obviously such people were numerous as the club had no difficulty in selling out its home ground with membership tickets.

Sums it up in the one paragraph - especially the line "hates Victorians" - Hard to admit that my brother married a Victorian (from Terang) has two sons who support Victorian teams, one is a Geelong Cat and the other "oh the shame of it" Essendon Bombers. All of them support Victoria in the state of origin - my dad has disowned them and only refers to them whenever they lose :D

Good links though

Thank God they aint collingwood supporters :o

Sums it up in the one paragraph - especially the line "hates Victorians" - Hard to admit that my brother married a Victorian (from Terang) has two sons who support Victorian teams, one is a Geelong Cat and the other "oh the shame of it" Essendon Bombers. All of them support Victoria in the state of origin - my dad has disowned them and only refers to them whenever they lose :D

Good links though

Thank God they aint collingwood supporters :o

Ok last admission that you will ever get from me - my older brother born and bred fifth generation South Australian is a Colingwood supporter. You will notice that I completely left him out of my previous eMail - my sister in law is Victorian and HATES football. Can't wait until the Grand Final to arrive so that she doesn't have to sit through another game for about 6 months.

Lid still on at Carlton

Wednesday, 21 March 2007 @ 1:15 PM

sportal.com.au

There is a good mood at the Carlton Football Club since winning the 2007 NAB Cup on the weekend, but coach Denis Pagan is wary of the pitfalls his side encountered when it took out the night premiership two years ago.

"We probably got in front of ourselves, we didn't know how to handle it, we got a few injuries and confidence drained as a result of that," Pagan said after a training session on Wednesday morning at MC Labour Park.

"We just didn't handle it well, we hope we do it a lot better this time."

The Blues have a lot to look forward to this season after many of their younger players produced encouraging performances during the pre-season Grand Final.

"Marc Murphy was outstanding, along with a lot of other midfielders, and Bryce (Gibbs is) still learning the tricks of the trade," Pagan said.

"The benefits of playing in a game like that were enormous for those young men who ran out with the Blues on Saturday night."

Gibbs, the 2006 number one draft pick, can expect to debut as soon as the season starts.

"We'll play him in round one if he gets through training, we've still got a few training sessions to go," the coach of 328 games revealed.

The round one match against Richmond looks set to be crucial in the development of another inexperienced player, Setanta O'hAilpin, with the Irishman almost certain to line up against star Tigers forward Matthew Richardson.

"We will, we'll play Setanta, we'll go with him all the way through," Pagan said.

"He's just come on in leaps and bounds and we're gonna stick with him and, okay, if he makes a few blues, we'll ride them and go with him."

Meanwhile, the two-time premiership coach has sympathised with Eagles star Ben Cousins following West Coast's indefinite suspension of the 2005 Brownlow Medalist, and he wishes for a positive outcome.

"I just hope that Ben can straighten (out) whatever issues he's got, no one knows what they are," the two-time premiership coach said.

"You can't help but feel for him, I think he needs all the support in the world at the moment."

The Blues have experienced various off-field dramas themselves in recent times, but Pagan is thankful that the controversy surrounding his club has seemingly come to an end.

"There's a real focus on all those sort of things (negative off-field stories) and sometimes they get blown out of all proportion," said Pagan.

"I think we probably learnt a big lesson from that, the playing group, and they've been pretty strong on themselves since that and I hope they can keep it up."

This is the schedule for round 1 of the Footy. I am going up to the Downunder bar and check out when and what games he is showing on the TV and will report back with the details:

Round 1

Friday, 30th March

Melbourne vs. St. Kilda, MCG (Night), 7:40pm

Saturday, 31st March

Kangaroos vs. Collingwood, MCG (Day), 2:10pm

Fremantle vs. Port Adelaide, Subiaco (Day), 4:10pm

Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn, Gabba (Night), 7:10pm

Sydney vs. W Coast, Telstra Stadium (Night), 7:10pm

Sunday, 1st April

Adelaide vs. Essendon, AAMI Stadium (Sun Early), 1:10pm

West. Bulldogs vs. Geelong, Telstra Dome (Day), 2:10pm

Carlton vs. Richmond, MCG (Sun Twilight), 5:10pm

NOTE: These are AEST NOT local Thai time

WE-TV (Australia Network) schedule. Thai times.

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Melbourne v St. Kilda Friday 30 Mar at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Kangaroos v Collingwood Saturday 31 Mar at 11:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Sydney v West Coast Eagles Saturday 31 Mar at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Adelaide v Essendon Sunday 1 Apr at 10:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Carlton v Richmond Sunday 1 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Brisbane v St. Kilda Thursday 5 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Richmond v Sydney Saturday 7 Apr at 11:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Geelong v Carlton Saturday 7 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Pt. Adelaide v Kangaroos Sunday 8 Apr at 10:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Sunday 8 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Hawthorne v Melbourne Monday 9 Apr at 11:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Collingwood v Richmond Friday 13 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Carlton v Essendon Saturday 14 Apr at 11:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Fremantle v West Coast Eagles Saturday 14 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Sydney v Brisbane Sunday 15 Apr at 10:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Kangaroos v Hawthorne Sunday 15 Apr at 22:00

WE-TV (Australia Network) schedule. Thai times.

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Melbourne v St. Kilda Friday 30 Mar at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Kangaroos v Collingwood Saturday 31 Mar at 11:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Sydney v West Coast Eagles Saturday 31 Mar at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 1: Carlton v Richmond Sunday 1 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Brisbane v St. Kilda Thursday 5 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Richmond v Sydney Saturday 7 Apr at 11:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Geelong v Carlton Saturday 7 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Pt. Adelaide v Kangaroos Sunday 8 Apr at 10:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Sunday 8 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Hawthorne v Melbourne Monday 9 Apr at 11:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Collingwood v Richmond Friday 13 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Carlton v Essendon Saturday 14 Apr at 11:30

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Fremantle v West Coast Eagles Saturday 14 Apr at 22:00

AFL Premiership Season - Rd 3: Kangaroos v Hawthorne Sunday 15 Apr at 22:00

Well that's the next three weeks worth of Sundays sorted. Bugger about the second round because I have to start work at 07:30am the next day - may have to miss it and watch the kanga's beat the power (AFL Premiership Season - Rd 2: Pt. Adelaide v Kangaroos Sunday 8 Apr at 10:30 ) Mind you it is early in the season so the PP may not choke during the game just to give their supporters some short term hope.

AT mate - I will buy a couple of VBs on the Sunday for the Adelaide v Essendon game and hope to see you back soon.

And heres one of the most famous "Ovals" in Australia, The MCG.

They should remember it from the number of times the Australian Cricket team beats them there - mind you the Poms spend so little time batting there it makes sense they don't recognise it.

Here's a nice oval for all you bread thieves to play your little girlie game on:

bigloaf.jpg

:o

The mighty Sceadugenga snuffs the battle with delight.

Raised a Russell Ebert drop kick from the sacred turf of Alberton Oval he spits down upon all weasely chardonnay drinking cows supporters. This season the great Port Adelaide side will rise to their rightful position in the finals then let all Victorians and the homeless South Australian side who stole the ground we paid for beware.

See how we humbled the mighty Brisbane returning pride to our state and then the cows choked at the business end of the season for the last two years.

McLeod's daughters!!!!...... tremble at the approach of this years showdowns!!!

The mighty Sceadugenga snuffs the battle with delight.

Raised a Russell Ebert drop kick from the sacred turf of Alberton Oval he spits down upon all weasely chardonnay drinking cows supporters. This season the great Port Adelaide side will rise to their rightful position in the finals then let all Victorians and the homeless South Australian side who stole the ground we paid for beware.

See how we humbled the mighty Brisbane returning pride to our state and then the cows choked at the business end of the season for the last two years.

McLeod's daughters!!!!...... tremble at the approach of this years showdowns!!!

I didn't know Rex (thank you mother for the rabbits) Hunt was living in Chiang Rai.. :o Go Dons.