The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

Sigh, back to the drawing board.

Geelong 5.4 13.9 14.15 16.20 (116)

Port Adelaide 1.3 2.4 4.10 8.12 (60)

GOALS

Geelong: M Rooke 3, J Bartel 2, S Johnson 2, C Mooney 2, D Wojcinski 2, G Ablett, N Ablett, C Ling, M Stokes, T Varcoe.

Port Adelaide: D Rodan 2, P Burgoyne, S Burgoyne, D Cassisi, B Ebert, N Krakouer, W Tredrea.

BEST:

Geelong: J Bartel, J Corey, B Ottens, G Ablett, D Wojcinski, D Milburn, K Tenace, C Ling.

Port Adelaide: C Cornes, D Rodan, K Cornes.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagles badly need Judd to beat charge

Personnel and form concerns mean the Brownlow Medal is the least of West Coast's worries when Chris Judd fronts the AFL tribunal.

As expected, the Eagles announced their captain would contest his eye-gouging charge, with the star midfielder to appear via a video link from Perth.

Judd, the 2004 Brownlow Medallist, is the favourite for this year's award and betting on the medal is suspended pending the result of the hearing.

Judd's one-game suspension in 2005 for striking meant he faced a one-game suspension whether he contested the charge or not, so the Eagles had nothing to lose by going to the tribunal.

West Coast have lost two of their last three matches and will host the red-hot Kangaroos on Saturday with a depleted midfield.

They badly need Judd available, given Daniel Kerr will be in the second week of his two-game suspension and Andrew Embley is out with a knee injury.

By contrast, the Kangaroos are on a six-game winning streak.

Kerr was also an early-season Brownlow fancy before he pleaded guilty last week to a front-on contact charge.

Earlier, Eagles assistant coach Peter Sumich defended Judd for the incident involving Hawthorn defender Campbell Brown, which happened in the third quarter of Saturday's Launceston match.

"He was just trying to push a player off him who was pretty well on top of him, that's basically it," Sumich said.

Brown has also said he did not think there was anything in the incident and team-mate Shane Crawford defended Judd.

"I don't think there's much in it, Chris Judd is a very fair player, always has been," Crawford said.

But the match review panel handed Judd the misconduct charge, rating the incident negligent and categorising it a level-one offence.

Getting a bit hard with Judd, Kerr, Cousins and Embly out!

I see Campbell Brown, (son of former WA hardman Mal Brown) the gougee, claims he was not gouged. Makes a change in a league where clubs now encourage players to testify against, and even dob in, opposition players.

CARLTON 5.2 5.4 11.11 12.14 (86)

ADELAIDE 2.5 8.10 12.12 15.15 (105)

GOALS

Carlton: Waite 4, Koutoufides 2, Fevola 2, Fisher 2, Scotland, Whitnall.

Adelaide: Welsh 4, Jericho 3, Porplyzia 3, Reilly 2, Perrie, Bock, Shirley.

BEST

Carlton: Carrazzo, Koutoufides, Waite, Simpson, Murphy, Walker, Houlihan, Scotland.

Adelaide: Goodwin, Shirley, Mattner, Hudson, Reilly, Knights, Thompson, Welsh.

INJURIES

Carlton: Nil.

Adelaide: Griffin (ankle).

Reports: Carlton: M Lappin reported by umpire Head for attempting to trip J Torney in the third quarter.

Umpires: Donlon, McBurney, Head

Adelaide won the game but it needs to have a very close look and do something about their goal kicking. A score of 15:15 is not acceptable in this ere of football. Allow half of those behinds for full tllt running at goals that miss but Adelaide has to find a reliable Full Forward who can consistently kick set shot goals from the 50m arc. Carlton has an even worse problem with missing 2 set shots at 15m. Simon Goodwin (acting captain) had great day and their midfield attack shows how dominant their game plan is. I did get a shock in the opening term with Carlton looking like they were on a mission but they fizzled out against strong midfield pressure.

We take on Melbourne next week who will be coming back after their heartbreaking loss to the Kangaroos.

I see Campbell Brown, (son of former WA hardman Mal Brown) the gougee, claims he was not gouged. Makes a change in a league where clubs now encourage players to testify against, and even dob in, opposition players.

Brown left the claims he wasn't gouged a little late.

His actions at the time, pulling hidious faces, rubbing his eye and complaining to the ump, is what made the incident look so bad. Interestingly, an umpire was standing over the crush, watching intently at the time, and didn't do a report.

To me, the hand did make contact to the eye, but Judd was at the bottom of a pack of three opposition players and possible being choked, or worse. (might form part of his defence anyway)

See what happens today.

Judd cleared of eye-gouging charge

West Coast star Chris Judd has been cleared of a charge of eye-gouging at the AFL Tribunal.

The decision means Judd is free to play in Saturday's match against the Kangaroos at Subiaco and remains eligible to win the Brownlow Medal, for which he is the favourite.

Judd had been charged with eye-gouging Hawthorn's Campbell Brown during Saturday's match at Launceston.

But Judd, Brown and officiating umpire Brett Rosebury all gave evidence that no eye-gouging had taken place.

©AAP 2007

tis all good.....Brown said after the game he was milking it....so it wasnt a late call and good on him for standing up and saying so....Juddanaut has always been a fair player...the previous charge against him was also weak and lesser players wouldnt have been charged with that.

BTW OC....did you notice my wedding tie was in the Eagles formal tie colour.....hehehe....I didnt notice that till tonite...The bride chose the gold dress because it is the Kings colour and I wanted to match that....the fact it matches the Eagles ties was a mere coincidence

Melbourne vs. Adelaide

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Melbourne 2.3 10.5 12.10 13.11 (89)

Adelaide 3.1 4.5 5.8 10.12 (72)

Just in case you forget to post CB.

Never saw the game, the stats speak for themselves. Adelaide over confident, flooding their backlines not working, Demons chipping away. Worn out at 3/4 time but 7 goal margin enough to get them home. Avoid Crows forums this week, the umpires are gonna get called all sorts of bad words.

Melbourne vs. Adelaide

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Never saw the game, the stats speak for themselves. Adelaide over confident, flooding their backlines not working, Demons chipping away. Worn out at 3/4 time but 7 goal margin enough to get them home. Avoid Crows forums this week, the umpires are gonna get called all sorts of bad words.

A great game to watch for a Demon supporter like me, 8 goals to 1 in the second quarter really took the wind out of the Crows sails,the Crows did not have one clear winner on the day,the only consolation was that the Roo played the game out and pulled up ok, in fact he was their one shining light.

Melbourne vs. Adelaide

1st 2nd 3rd Final

A great game to watch for a Demon supporter like me, 8 goals to 1 in the second quarter really took the wind out of the Crows sails,the Crows did not have one clear winner on the day,the only consolation was that the Roo played the game out and pulled up ok, in fact he was their one shining light.

Been a long time between drinks for you guys Oz, may be now the drought's broken the D's will play with some confidence. Like to see you knock off the 'Pies next week.

After a stellar tipping season I got 3 out of 8 this week, bad weekend all round. Still the Crows lost, I heard a rumour that CrowBoy had to be restrained from throwing himself in the Ping Saturday night and has reinvented himself as a Rugby supporter.

Finally found some AFL, was just about to see if the mighty hawks won this weekend no need to look any further. Most annoying thing have not seen a game as yet and we are finally winning, typical.

So reading right the Down under bar is the place for the football now? and where about is it

Go the Hawks!!!!

Melbourne vs. Adelaide

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Been a long time between drinks for you guys Oz, may be now the drought's broken the D's will play with some confidence. Like to see you knock off the 'Pies next week.

After a stellar tipping season I got 3 out of 8 this week, bad weekend all round. Still the Crows lost, I heard a rumour that CrowBoy had to be restrained from throwing himself in the Ping Saturday night and has reinvented himself as a Rugby supporter.

Haha not at all. I used to live (call that living?) in Sydney and by necessity I got interested in Rugby Union - don't follow league at all. Also in Samuii our bar showed all the Union and League games to avoid doing the same as everyother bar in Thailand that show soccer all the bleedin' time.

I didn't get to see a game over the weekend. The downunder bar has closed and I was waylaid (in the nicest possible way) at other places, none of which showed the footy. I didn't realise the scores until my tipping results came in this morning and I am still on a consistent 5 game streak.

From the scoring sheet it is obvious that the Crows are not playing a winning style of football. I can't comment on their mid field game having not seen the game but their kicking for goal has been very poor for almost the whole season and this is showing in the final results. Melbourne had a great quarter and were able to hold onto it in the third. Good rally in the final for the Crows but not enough to win the game.

Congrats to the Demons and as much as I like my team to win I am also a realist. They have to get a forward line that can consistently kick goals from within the 50m arc or they will never win the premiership.

Not a good weekend for the Adelaide teams but some interesting results all round

Full scores are

Winning Team Score Losing Team Score

Collingwood 15.13 (103) def. Fremantle 13.16 (94)

Melbourne 13.11 (89) def. Adelaide 10.12 (72)

West Coast Eagles 18.13 (121) def. Kangaroos 7.13 (55)

Richmond 10.13 (73) drw. Brisbane Lions 10.13 (73)

Essendon 11.8 (74) def. Sydney Swans 11.7 (73)

Hawthorn 17.7 (109) def. Port Adelaide 10.15 (75)

Carlton 21.12 (138) def. Western Bulldogs 19.14 (128)

Geelong 19.11 (125) def. St Kilda 9.11 (65)

CB

Finally found some AFL, was just about to see if the mighty hawks won this weekend no need to look any further. Most annoying thing have not seen a game as yet and we are finally winning, typical.

So reading right the Down under bar is the place for the football now? and where about is it

Go the Hawks!!!!

g'day Dudley23

The downunder has sadly been sold. There are a couple of places around town showing the footy. These are:

Tuskers - Chas will put it on in the bar if there is anyone interested

The Pub - Graham will do the same and is a good option because he has several rooms available in case the rest of the pub want to watch the soccer.

send me a message if you need directions.

CB

One of the consolations of having your own Sat system at home ,5 games to watch every weekend.although watching the D,s get regular hidings was starting to wear thin.

We have had up to 13 of our starting line-up on the sidelines most of the year but got some back this weekend plus a couple of first gamers who stood out,but were without our centre half forward and centre half back so the boys did a good job.

Brad Green,Cameron Bruce,Wheately,Davies etc had great games while the Crow stars were really tagged out of it by the likes of Godfrey ,Mc Donald and Co.

Cant wait to see Eddie cry if we can get over the Magpies next Monday.

One of the consolations of having your own Sat system at home ,5 games to watch every weekend.although watching the D,s get regular hidings was starting to wear thin.

We have had up to 13 of our starting line-up on the sidelines most of the year but got some back this weekend plus a couple of first gamers who stood out,but were without our centre half forward and centre half back so the boys did a good job.

Brad Green,Cameron Bruce,Wheately,Davies etc had great games while the Crow stars were really tagged out of it by the likes of Godfrey ,Mc Donald and Co.

Cant wait to see Eddie cry if we can get over the Magpies next Monday.

It could be worse, poor Gus (owner of the DownUnder bar in CM) used to sit up there putting on the footy for all the punters. He's a one eyed Richmond supporter. He was starting to show the strain with the Tigers being whipped back to back then on the one night it looked good for them against the Crows I was watching the game at AussieThaid's place so he was left on his own.

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

YES

The mighty sceadugenga brilliantly picks the Bombers to win, 1/1

Essendon vs. West Coast

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Essendon 1.0 6.2 12.4 14.4 (88)

West Coast 5.5 10.8 13.9 13.9 (87)

Edited by sceadugenga

Superb comeback by the Bombers. It was like watching a Grand Final. Probably the best game of the year.

Essendon superstar James Hird's farewell tour bus rolled into Telstra Dome, flicked into overdrive, and crushed AFL leaders West Coast under their wheels in a one-point thriller tonight.

Hird was inspirational for the Bombers when it mattered, gathering 32 possessions and leading his side's fightback from a five-goal halftime deficit to beat the premiers 15.5 (95) to 14.10 (94).

Forward Scott Lucas kicked five goals for Essendon and it was a David Hille behind with two minutes remaining that eventually proved the decider in a tense, tough match.

But it was Hird, in what is expected to be his last season, who sparked his side back into a match it looked out of when trailing by 36 points midway through the second term.

It was the Bombers' second successive win by a point after they beat Sydney last weekend, and their fourth straight victory.

West Coast led by 30 points at halftime and looked like cruising to victory after a brilliant start for which the Bombers appeared to have no answers.

Hird, onballer Jason Winderlich, Lucas and skipper Matthew Lloyd lifted the Bombers in the third, with Lloyd and Lucas kicking two each in the quarter to bring their side back to within a goal late in the term.

Essendon opened the fourth with the opening three goals - Lucas' fourth giving the Bombers the lead for the first time in the match at the six-minute mark of the final term.

A Chris Judd goal and a Rowan Jones behind brought the sides level, sparking a desperate final few minutes from both sides.

Finally Hille booted a behind from a set shot to break a 94-all deadlock, before the Bombers managed to hang on as the Eagles could not find a way past.

As well as Lucas' five goals, Lloyd finished with three, while Hird, Winderlich and Damien Peverill were outstanding in the midfield.

Brent Staker led the way for the Eagles with three goals.

West Coast could lose their spot atop the ladder by the end of the round after sliding to an 8-3 win-loss record, while the Bombers have surged to 7-4.

ESSENDON 1.0 6.2 12.4 15.5 (95)

WEST COAST 5.5 10.8 13.9 14.10 (94)

GOALS - Essendon: S Lucas, 5 M Lloyd 3, S Camporeale 2, J Laycock 2, A Davey, A Monfries, J Winderlich. West Coast: B Staker 3, Q Lynch 2, M Brown, A Hunter, S Hurn, C Judd, M LeCras, M Morton, M Priddis, M Rosa, M Seaby.

BEST - Essendon: J Hird, J Winderlich, D Peverill, S Lucas, D Fletcher, H Slattery. West Coast: M Rosa, M Priddis, T Stenglein, C Judd, D Cox, B Jones.

Umpires: M Vozzo, H Kennedy, K Nicholls.

Official Crowd: 48,913 at Telstra Dome.

"Superb comeback by the Bombers. It was like watching a Grand Final. Probably the best game of the year."

Now, now Aussie; it WAS a good game but lets not get TOO carried away. :o:D

Edited by sceadugenga

"Superb comeback by the Bombers. It was like watching a Grand Final. Probably the best game of the year."

Now, now Aussie; it WAS a good game but lets not get TOO carried away. :o:D

You gonna tell this poor little kid to not get exited ??

Passionate would be the right description..

Port beat, Crows beat, can't see any finals footy for South Australia this year, <deleted>*k the football, moan, bitch, whinge, sulk...must be nearly cricket season again. Picked both of the losers to win as well.

Port beat, Crows beat, can't see any finals footy for South Australia this year, <deleted>*k the football, moan, bitch, whinge, sulk...must be nearly cricket season again. Picked both of the losers to win as well.

My heart bleeds purple piss for you..

Perhaps a box of these are in order. :o

My heart bleeds purple piss for you..

Perhaps a box of these are in order. :o

Bloody plain wrap rubbish, just the sort of thing a Vic would buy, haven't you got any Kleenex?