Uk Passport Application By Post - Payment

scubamatt72

I wish to apply for a passport and register a birth via post (from Phuket) from the UK embassy in Bangkok. The bumf says that I can pay by postal order, but there are quite a variety available. Is it the "Pay at Post" service that they mean, otherwise, what do I ask the post office for?

Thaks for any pointers.

I forget which one I used to do my son's passport. I think it's the one that has to be signed for at the other end. The post office will explain. Do you speak Thai? You could say 'A nee neh non ja yool tee Krungthep prongnee mai?' (Are you sure it will arrive in Bkk tomorrow?) In my experience the British Embassy were very good in sending it back quickly too.

• 3 weeks later...
I wish to apply for a passport and register a birth via post (from Phuket) from the UK embassy in Bangkok. The bumf says that I can pay by postal order, but there are quite a variety available. Is it the "Pay at Post" service that they mean, otherwise, what do I ask the post office for?

Thaks for any pointers.

We had to apply for our son's uk citizenship first. This entailed an interview at the UK Bangkok embassy plus applications forms. Once we got his citizenship certificate from the Uk Home Office (took about 6 weeks), we were then able to apply for his Uk passport (took about 3 weeks). His birth was registered here in Phuket - thai birth certificate. I made 2 visits in total to embassy so as not to have monies/documents "lost".

I did it all by post - no interview required- it is all due back in the next few days. All the info is on the website of the UK embassy, Bangkok. I paid by bankers draft that I got from a local Siam Commercial Bank. I was "talked through" by an embassy worker who I got through to from a link on th ewebsite. They were very quick to respond and very helpful.

All could be done at the same time. The birth registration was around 10000 Baht and the passport around 6000 Baht. I had to supply my UK "Long form" birth certificate, which I had to get from the government records office in the UK (easy - but of course expensive!), as well as marriage certs plus translations, baby's birth cert plus translation, original passports for my wife and I, Birth reg form, Passport form plus photos -one signed by somebody who knew me for more than 2 years who is Britich Citizen, and the money of course.

It is very expensive. Teh Thai birth cert cost 15 Baht, the Thai passport 1000 Baht ....and similar documents from the UK. 16000 Baht.. Rip Off Britain!

If anybody needs more help for a similar situation, please let me know, and I will dig out the files.

Matt

I did it all by post - no interview required- it is all due back in the next few days. All the info is on the website of the UK embassy, Bangkok. I paid by bankers draft that I got from a local Siam Commercial Bank. I was "talked through" by an embassy worker who I got through to from a link on th ewebsite. They were very quick to respond and very helpful.

All could be done at the same time. The birth registration was around 10000 Baht and the passport around 6000 Baht. I had to supply my UK "Long form" birth certificate, which I had to get from the government records office in the UK (easy - but of course expensive!), as well as marriage certs plus translations, baby's birth cert plus translation, original passports for my wife and I, Birth reg form, Passport form plus photos -one signed by somebody who knew me for more than 2 years who is Britich Citizen, and the money of course.

It is very expensive. Teh Thai birth cert cost 15 Baht, the Thai passport 1000 Baht ....and similar documents from the UK. 16000 Baht.. Rip Off Britain!

If anybody needs more help for a similar situation, please let me know, and I will dig out the files.

Matt

I did exactly as Scubamatt and everything came back in 3 weeks, the only thing was I wasn't home and didn't pick it up at the post office straight away so they they sent it back to the embassy and then they sent it to me again, all very painless by post!

Matt

I did exactly as Scubamatt and everything came back in 3 weeks, the only thing was I wasn't home and didn't pick it up at the post office straight away so they they sent it back to the embassy and then they sent it to me again, all very painless by post!

Of all the original documents did you put your passport in the post ???

Yes, I put all original documents in the post, including my passport, and sent via EMS. I emailed the embassy the day I sent the items asking for confirmation when they arrived, which they duly sent. I am still awaiting the return of all documents.

I have a daughter who hasn't been registered with the British Embassy yet. Is there any time limit?

I emailed the British consulate and they informed me 1yr from date of birth I will be going to perform this task probably October time: I don't want to risk putting my passport in the post

Matt

Of all the original documents did you put your passport in the post ???

Yeah, they will only except original passports and documents, I had to put mine and hubbys passports in plus our original marriage certificate with a photocopy, sent it to the embassy by EMS and they sent it back the same way.

I have a daughter who hasn't been registered with the British Embassy yet. Is there any time limit?

I emailed the British consulate and they informed me 1yr from date of birth I will be going to perform this task probably October time: I don't want to risk putting my passport in the post

Did they say that you couldn't register her as a UK citizen after 1 year!?

I'm surprised there is a time limit.

!'m British... is my Child?

This is a pinned link in the visa forum, it explains the framework to a Child's requirements for Citizenship.

I must admit I have never heard of a time limit, excepting the clauses relating to differing rules at different time periods.

Moss

There are different sections of the British Nationality Act 1981 under which a child may be registered as a British citizen. However, for those who are unmarried British fathers who themselves were born in the U.K., registration will be under section 3(1) for which there is no time restriction other than the applicant must be a minor.

Registration as a British citizen is a process which is determined by the Home Office in the U.K. and is totally distinct from registration of the child's birth at the British embassy. Those children who do not acquire British citizenship automatically and therefore need to register with the Home Office will not be entitled to have their birth registered at the British embassy. Instead, they will be issued with a certificate of registration as a British citizen by the Home Office.

Scouse.

See Scouse's post.

I've just been through it for my 14 year-old daughter. The process was quite easy and the embassy staff were very helpful.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I emailed the British Embassy about time limits for registering a birth with them. Answer:

"There is no time limit in which to register the birth as long as the application is straight forward ie where one the parents is born in the UK and can therefore transmit British Nationality automatically with all original supporting documents."

They're v. helpful and answer questions v. quickly.

So there's no time limit? Thanks.

There can be complications, but it is very difficult to understand, unless you understand what is required or your particular requirements.

If in doubt check with an advisor and not necessarily with the Bangkok Embassy.

Good Luck

Moss

• 2 weeks later...

Some great links and replies/advice here - thanks. I'm going to get my youngest daughter a British passport and citizenship soon as we're all off to Australia for a 3 week holiday soon. My elder daughter still has her Thai and british passports.

When going to Australia, is it simple enough to go out with their Thai passports and have the OZ visa in the British passport, using that to enter and leave OZ. Maybe I'd need to show their OZ visa when exiting Thailand.

We are expecting a baby daughter in December and intend visiting the UK with her around July next year.

Am I correct to assume that I can register my daughter for British citizenship / passport application on arrival?

If so then apart from the Thai birth certificate with English translation copy is there anything else that needs to be done at the Thailand end?

Many thanks.

Update:-

Just had a thought after posting this ...I forgot I would have to get her a visa on her Thai passport which will involve some work so I might as well go the extra mile and get her a British passport in advance...it probably won't involve any more hassle than just having to apply for the visa!

Edited by brizzle

We are expecting a baby daughter in December and intend visiting the UK with her around July next year.

Am I correct to assume that I can register my daughter for British citizenship / passport application on arrival?

If so then apart from the Thai birth certificate with English translation copy is there anything else that needs to be done at the Thailand end?

Many thanks.

Update:-

Just had a thought after posting this ...I forgot I would have to get her a visa on her Thai passport which will involve some work so I might as well go the extra mile and get her a British passport in advance...it probably won't involve any more hassle than just having to apply for the visa!

When apply for a visa you need a Thai pasport, so advice is apply for both Thai and GB pasport, or your daughter can be in her moms or your pasport.

• 8 months later...

hi there,

could you please help me . my son was born in phuket last july and im back in the UK at the moment working . is it possible to register his birth here and have his passport made while im back in the UK . i have his thai birth papers whith me in thai and english and allso have my wifes passport whith me . any information on this would be great thanks

go to the post office & get an application form for the passport. I am not sure if you can register the birth now, I remember when my son was born (in UK) I only had 6 weeks to register his birth. But for the UK passport, the thai birth certifictae (translated) will be ok. The thai parent is not relevant to a UK childs passport application, only the UK parent must prove they have right to pass on nationality.

Make sure you have up to date photos of you child, they must follow the fairly strict guidelines which are explained on the application form.

• 4 months later...

Hi All

I recently had my daughter this month, and need to get her a British passport fairly quickly as I would like to return home. I hold both Thai and British citizenship. Having read the Thailand British Embassy website I know it shouldn't be too difficult for a mother to transfer citizenship to the child. I'm not really planning to register her birth at the embassy...10,000 baht seems a little over the top.

Having read this forum, do I need to register my daughter's citizenship at the Home Office? Secondly, are there any criteria's to where and who can translate the Thai Birth certificate for the Embassy? I also read on their website that they aim to process a child's first passport within 10 days. Though some people have said that it took them 3 weeks?

Thanks!!!!

I answered you here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Registering-...25&start=25 in response to your question in another thread.

You don't have to register the baby anywhere. They will have a copy of the certified Thai birth certificate translation and the Thai version and they are not just going to throw those away are they ?

First you need the birth certificate translated - go to Soi Post Office.

Second, you need to have it certified. We went to some place near Don Muang and got same day service.

The two are not the same.