Uk Passport Application By Post - Payment

scubamatt72

not sure where my other post went, however i registered my sons birth 4 years ago and i recently tried to obtain a uk birth cert at gro.com only to be emailed back with no trace, as anyone else tried this ?

thanks

As I believe it: As long as you are named on the Thai birth certificate, then your daughter can take your nationality. If you need to get her a UK passport, then you will first need to register the birth at the embassy.

This is not the case you do not need to register the birth to get a british passport, I have just done this without registering my sons birth,he qualifiys for british citizenship through me the fees quoted are also incorrect, I dont remember the exact fee but I think its around 3.500bht for the british passport, to register a birth is about 7.500bht :)

I answered you here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Registering-...25&start=25 in response to your question in another thread.

You don't have to register the baby anywhere. They will have a copy of the certified Thai birth certificate translation and the Thai version and they are not just going to throw those away are they ?

First you need the birth certificate translated - go to Soi Post Office.

Second, you need to have it certified. We went to some place near Don Muang and got same day service.

The two are not the same.

we went with a tout outside the embassy he took us to the 2nd floor of the shopping centre at the crossroads nr the embassy did the translation of the birth certificate & took us downstairs to have the babys photos done was all done without any grief, if you have all the relavent documents its quite easy :)

the point im making is if you register the birth you should be entitled to a british birth cert,

and on enquiring my son is not at the GRO,

a birth cert is mightier than a passsport with the letters FCO,

im still confused here my eldest son was registered prior to july 2006 and i was not married at the time , but now i am,

my youngest son was registered after july 2006 and i got a british birth cert for him :D from the GRO , but the eldest there is no trace :) .

what is the best thing to do now, should i contact the embassy in BKK , has anyone else tried to get a british birth cert from the GRO website

thanks all

• 9 months later...
not sure where my other post went, however i registered my sons birth 4 years ago and i recently tried to obtain a uk birth cert at gro.com only to be emailed back with no trace, as anyone else tried this ?

thanks

If you have officially register his birth at the British Embassy, the GRO will be able to provide a copy of it at the cost of 10 quid. Upon said registration at the British Embassy, you should have had received a copy of the BC which heading says " BIRTH within the district of the British Ambassador at BKK" (or wherever). With that, we were able to apply for our sproglet's British passport, open a UK bank account, etc.

Edited by Jacqqq

I have a daughter who hasn't been registered with the British Embassy yet. Is there any time limit?

I emailed the and they informed me 1yr from date of birth I will be going to perform this task probably October time: I don't want to risk putting my passport in the post

THE British consulate HAS GOT THAT WRONG UNDER UK LAW, the age limit is 18

see this thread, how one Brit fought the emabssy in BKK and won to get his child UK citizenship, and not he is a non married father.

Tv Member Highlights British Embassy Deficiencies.

A quote from the father:-

My event with the British Embassy in BKK was fraught with despair as my heart sunk; only due to their total incompetence and the lack of knowledge of the British Law relating to registering children as British Nationals. I can tell you all now, their website and the info they give is INCORRECT so don't read it and think you have lost before you have began. If you want to register your children even if they are UNDER 18 years of age the process is there, but they just don't know it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tv-Member-Hi...46#entry1496846

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes recently registered my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son, no problem at all. Got them both their British Passports at the same time, wasn't cheap though.

likewise my first son was over 2 yrs old before we got round to doing anything about registering him at the embassy and getting his uk passport and we had no problems at all.

• 5 months later...

Two weeks ago I sent off the application for for my son's first UK passport to British Embassy Bkk. Who then transfer it to Hong Kong for processing. That seems to have gone fine, I think. The questions are, I had to enclose my passport as proof of identification. Is my passport returned straight away or sent on to HK and returned along with my son's passport ?

I've contacted the Bkk Embassy 2 days running and I'm just being past from pillar to post.

just received this from embassy;

If you were born in the UK, you can submit your child’s passport and birth registration applications at our office.

The required documents are:

- Your child’s birth certificate and English translation;

- Your full birth certificate (with details of your parents)

- Your and your wife’s passport and/or Thai id card;

- Marriage certificate and English translation

- Completed Consular Birth Registration & passport application (C2) forms. Please note that section 8 of the passport application has to be completed by someone who knows your family for at least 2 years and that person will have to sign at the back of one photograph;

- 2 passport-sized photograph, one endorsed with the counter signature.

- Fees for passport = THB 5200 included DHL fee and Birth registration fee = THB 8840.

You can send the application by post but all original documents have to be submitted along with the application form. For more information, please visithttp://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/how-register-birth/

• 4 months later...

Hi... My wife and I 2 days ago had a little boy,

I've just read every post here and my head is spinning from all the dif info..

Of corse I want my son to have a british passport, so do I need to register him or not? Can I just send of for a british passport when I get home in a few weeks with his birth cert that we got from the hospital in BKK?

Thats what I see some one said in this topic...

• 7 months later...

Hi... My wife and I 2 days ago had a little boy,

I've just read every post here and my head is spinning from all the dif info..

Of corse I want my son to have a british passport, so do I need to register him or not? Can I just send of for a british passport when I get home in a few weeks with his birth cert that we got from the hospital in BKK?

Thats what I see some one said in this topic...

Hi Kev, I know this post is a bit late so I'm hoping you still keep up with the Thai Visa Site..First, many congrats on the birth of your son (who is now nearly 8 mths I believe) hope all is going well for you all. Secondly, did u sort out the 'actual' requirements for getting his passport etc.?

I personally think all this talk about registering with the embassy is cobblers as it has nothing to do with confirming nationality but what did you have to do in the end? BTW, I have a vested interest in this as I have a beautiful 4 month old daughter here and obviously need to do the right things for her. Cheers, Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think all this talk about registering with the embassy is cobblers as it has nothing to do with confirming nationality but what did you have to do in the end? BTW, I have a vested interest in this as I have a beautiful 4 month old daughter here and obviously need to do the right things for her. Cheers, Ray.

I don't live in Thailand, I live in a neighbouring country, I'm sure it's exactly the same though.

I have a 3 year old daughter and a 9 month old son, both who were born here. In both their cases I took the local birth certificate (a note from the hospital signed by the local doctor) to the British Embassy along with a whole load of other documentation (off the top of my head it was my passport, my wife's passport (not British, but local), marriage cert and my birth cert). They issued a British birth cert at the Embassy which I picked up a couple of days later. I can't recall the cost, it wasn't cheap though (I would guess US$100?).

I think you'll find that having a British birth certificate makes it a lot easier it obtaining a passport for your children, I haven't done it yet for my son, but my daughter has one and we encountered no problems at all. The reason I haven't done anything yet for my son is that I'm not entirely sure what the procedure is now that they have moved everything to Hong Kong.

I don't live in Thailand, I live in a neighbouring country, I'm sure it's exactly the same though.

I have a 3 year old daughter and a 9 month old son, both who were born here. In both their cases I took the local birth certificate (a note from the hospital signed by the local doctor) to the British Embassy along with a whole load of other documentation (off the top of my head it was my passport, my wife's passport (not British, but local), marriage cert and my birth cert). They issued a British birth cert at the Embassy which I picked up a couple of days later. I can't recall the cost, it wasn't cheap though (I would guess US$100?).

I think you'll find that having a British birth certificate makes it a lot easier it obtaining a passport for your children, I haven't done it yet for my son, but my daughter has one and we encountered no problems at all. The reason I haven't done anything yet for my son is that I'm not entirely sure what the procedure is now that they have moved everything to Hong Kong.

i thought thee days they gave a nationality certificate and no longer give a birth certificate at least thats what they gave a friend for his son and with that he got a UK passport but his son had a Thai birth certificate.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the latest updates regarding obtaining Passports for children?

the last time i got a new passport was at the embassy in sukhumwit.

Anybody??

I spoke to the embassy yesterday and delivered my docs today.

If you are unmarried and wish to get a passport for a child who was born before 2007 the rules are different.

For an unmarried couple British father/Thai mother whose baby was born AFTER 2007 you will need:

1. Babies birth certificate and certified translation plus a photocopy of each.

2. Fathers British passport and photocopy of front page

3. Mothers ID OR passport and photocopy. (If it is a new style ID card no need for translation)

4. fathers original "long" birth certificate and photocopy

5. The completed C2 form and the fee.

6. Photos

If unmarried the embassy require the mother to write on the photocopy of her ID OR passport words to the effect of "I .......(name) have no objections to my son/daughter........(name) being issued a british passport. and then sign it.

Take this to the Embassy and they will check the docs etc. They will then return all originals to you and send the photocopies with a cert to say they have verified them to hong kong.

As an aside you only need to apply for a passport at the British Embassy. You DO NOT require a British birth certificate first. The embassy are reluctant to tell you this because they charge around 10,000bht for this service.

I have just applied yesterday using the above docs. My daughter only has a Thai birth cert with a translation. Once you receive the passport you can apply in UK for a British Birth Cert if you want one (15 pounds)

Edited by whistleblower

• 5 months later...

Hi whistleblower,

I hope everything went well with your passport application for your daughter.

Can you tell me how long they kept your original passport and birth certificate for or did they just need to verify their authenticity when you handed the application in?

How long did it take for you to get the passport?

Did you need a DNA test to accompany the application?

Where is the best place to get certified translations from?

By after 2007 do you mean from the 1st January 2007?

Does the passport allow you to take your daughter abroad or do you need a separate certificate of permission?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am new to this topic and I need an urgent advice from anyone.

I am a british by Neutralisation in 2004. My wife (HK Citizen) is going to give a brith of my son in Thailand next month.

I have the following questions:-

(1) Does my son automatically have British national?

(2) We do not have any British friend in Thailand, who can countersign my baby's pasport application and photo? I think it mentioned that the countersignee has to know the applicant over two years... For a new born baby, how can he know him for over two years?

(3) I saw someone said no need to register the birth to the Embassy and can be done after got the passport... any guideline for applying it?

As we are both stay in Hong Kong, we would like to apply and get the passport quickly. And go back to Hong Kong. What is the min. age can baby travel? How long the passport application take?

• 11 months later...

Quick advice , the UK passport Agency is struggling and about a few months behind applications .

Apparently applications are at a high the highest in 22 years . So if you are a UK resident get your passport in quick.

No idea what's happening at the embassy's

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand