So What Do We Buy?

paulyonthemove

The time has come........................ My child is on the way (late January). Is there any advice out there for what to buy, estimated costs and the best places to buy so as to be prepared for this life changeing experience. Also if anybody has any good second hand then maybe arrangements can be made to view the items.

Cheers

As above is it boy or girl? initially just some babygrows in neutral colours (white, lemon) you are bound to get loads of gifts when the child is born and believe me they quickly grow out of everything! And of course disposable nappies (diapers) some vests, rubber pants and a nice shawl to wrap him/her in.

A moses basket or crib for sleeping, a buggy for trips out Bottle or breast fed? if the former you need bibs, bottles, sterilizer, teats etc. Breast is best! it builds up babys immune system and is more hygenic. Cant think of anything else offhand as its a few years since my last (fifth) was born! Imn sure I will think of something!

Oh earplugs for nights so you can get some sleep hahahah

We have a two year old "luk krueng" and here are a couple suggestions:

When shopping for clothes, lean toward the larger sizes as "large" here my be equivalent to "medium" in the West. Our little boy is the same size as some three or four year old Thai kids.

Also, disposable diapers are a must! The cloth kind that were used when we were kids will most likely NOT hold up (literally) and you may be in for a messy surprise.

When your baby is old enough to get off formula and enjoy regular milk, I recommend the brand of boxed milk called "Thai-Danish". The one with a red/white/blue box is the regular (unsweetened) whole milk. You can buy packs of 12 and each box is 8 fluid oz I believe.

Congrats on being a daddy! :o

Congratulations in advance for the upcoming day! I am now the proud father of a 10 week baby girl. Here is a few things that help us. Break it down into groups. She eats, she poops, she sleeps, she learns, she grows. She needs to stay clean. Now make a list for each group.

She eats: Bottles, Formula Mom may not produce milk for a few days, be prepared! Burping towels, Bottled water. Bottle brushes to clean bottles, large pot to boil bottles "sterilize".

She poops: Disposible diapers 8 to 10 a day! baby wipes, Vasaline. Changing table, a few towels for the top, (ours loves to pee while being changed). small stuffed animal for her to look at while being changed.

She sleeps: Small outfits called "onesies" are our choice. short sleeved for the day and long sleeved for sleeping at night. Recieving blankets, to wrap her up while sleeping. Udjustable crib, They grow fast! We bought two things that help us also. a sleeping pad, that keeps the baby's head elevated and a another that keeps her from rolling onto her side. Both work well. Also get a small lamp thats not to bright for night feedings and changings.

She learns: Well, I'll leave that up to you.

Have fun! Be confident! Be safe!

Good luck!

She eats: Bottles, Formula Mom may not produce milk for a few days, be prepared! Burping towels, Bottled water. Bottle brushes to clean bottles, large pot to boil bottles "sterilize".

Mum will not produce milk for a few days but she will produce colostrum which is all baby needs at this stage of the game. Be sure that when her milk comes in, Mum will be uncomfortable and her breasts will be swollen and tender. Hot washcloths help to ease this, as was my experience. Just make sure that baby is getting the whole nipple and areola area into his/her mouth and not just the nipple or mum will get sore. When baby latches on, he/she should have a strong suckling action which makes no sound but looks like a deep movement that you will see in the baby's jawline. Feed on demand until a routine is established. Roughly every two hours initially.

I have breast fed 4 kids, including twins and nothing other than what mum has to offer is needed. Keep with it, she may need some support with the feeding initially if this is her first. Sore breasts, post partum moods and a wakeful babe do not always make for a calm mum. Lots of fluids, plenty of rest and a supportive dad will be a great help to both mum and baby.

The only other thing I will say is Woodward's gripe water!!!

Oh yes, breastfeeding produces regular (read every feed) watery, yellow poos. Don't worry, this is normal. Mum should stay off the spicy food during the bf stage. What mum eats, baby eats. Remember that.

Congrats and good luck!

Congratulations! It's one of the most rewarding things in life, tho' hard work :o

Some good advice above. 3 general bits I'd add:

1) Look after your wife. Put her as No.1. She'll automatically do much of the real essentials by nature and put baby as No.1, so support her wherever you can, as it will take a lot out of her. Any disagreements/arguments/moods etc, just remember to give way even more than usual! BTW You're No.3 priority for a while!

2) Try and establish a routine. EASY is a good acronym to remember: Eat, Activity, Sleep, time for Yourself. Putting baby to bed at the same time every day is not to be under estimated.

3) Babies are more reilient than you think. The key things your wife and to a lesser extent yourslef, will automatically do by nature. After that most stuff isn't serious so don't worry too much about it! Babies have been born for thousands of years and have survived without the fuss you'll be giving yours. You'll make some mistakes, we all do!

If you're still looking for items: We have a cot/crib which we hardly used. We were living overseas at the time, but came back to Thailand for the birth. We bought an extra cot for the first two or three weeks before baby could travel, and the occasional trip back here for a day or two. We've now moved back to Thailand. PM me if you're interested, as it's in good condition, and we'd be happy to sell it on for any sensible offer. We've two of quite a few small things now, eg fridge etc, but this is the cot is the main baby one that springs to mind.

Good luck and enjoy :D

Edited by fletchsmile

Thanks for all the usefull tips and advice. The web sites and links have been usefull too so once again thanks. This is just what i need to set my mind in preperation.

The baby's a boy and our first.

I came across some very usefull threads relating to registaring your child and dual citizenship so here they are for those of you in the same boat.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...port+baby+child

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162124

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations! It's one of the most rewarding things in life, tho' hard work :o

Some good advice above. 3 general bits I'd add:

1) Look after your wife. Put her as No.1. She'll automatically do much of the real essentials by nature and put baby as No.1, so support her wherever you can, as it will take a lot out of her. Any disagreements/arguments/moods etc, just remember to give way even more than usual! BTW You're No.3 priority for a while!

2) Try and establish a routine. EASY is a good acronym to remember: Eat, Activity, Sleep, time for Yourself. Putting baby to bed at the same time every day is not to be under estimated.

3) Babies are more reilient than you think. The key things your wife and to a lesser extent yourslef, will automatically do by nature. After that most stuff isn't serious so don't worry too much about it! Babies have been born for thousands of years and have survived without the fuss you'll be giving yours. You'll make some mistakes, we all do!

If you're still looking for items: We have a cot/crib which we hardly used. We were living overseas at the time, but came back to Thailand for the birth. We bought an extra cot for the first two or three weeks before baby could travel, and the occasional trip back here for a day or two. We've now moved back to Thailand. PM me if you're interested, as it's in good condition, and we'd be happy to sell it on for any sensible offer. We've two of quite a few small things now, eg fridge etc, but this is the cot is the main baby one that springs to mind.

Good luck and enjoy :D

Hello there, i would be interested in looking at the crib if you still have it. However i do not know how to PM you my details. If you know how to PM (assuming private mail??) then please get intouch.

Cheers