Border Means Testing At Mae Sai

Here's a new one. Posters have gone up at Mae sai advising that at some point soon you will need to show evidence of funds of 20,000 baht to make another monthly stamp.

I haven't seen this for myself when I was there a week ago but friends who were there this weekend told us about this.

Anyone seen the same or knows anymore about this?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was another thread started over this past weekend with some wild rumours about changes in procedure at Mae Sai. Either my eyes are failing me or that other thread was killed due to a lack of concrete information. The monetary figure quoted in the other thread was 10,000 baht.

Here's a new one. Posters have gone up at Mae sai advising that at some point soon you will need to show evidence of funds of 20,000 baht to make another monthly stamp.

I haven't seen this for myself when I was there a week ago but friends who were there this weekend told us about this.

Nope, haven't heard a word about it. Just go up there with a wad of thousand baht notes and try not to get ripped off for god sakes

Here's a new one.  Posters have gone up at Mae sai advising that at some point soon you will need to show evidence of funds of 20,000 baht to make another monthly stamp.

The nasty thing about this 10,000 bt. demand, beginning on Oct. 1st, is that you can only show CASH. I asked the immigration person, stamping me back in yesterday, if I could show $300 in US traveler's checks or my Thai savings account bank book. They only want cash.

I think this is creating a dangerous temptation for pickpockets, bag slashers, armed robbers and muggers. Everyone will know that every person that crosses the bridge is carrying 10K Bt. I"ll be damned if I'll go down into the Tachilek market or wander the back streets of Mae Sai after Oct. 1st. If you're riding a motorcycle they could shoot you off the road on that rural stretch of Hwy. just south of town, headed to Mae Chan. Ten thousand baht is a lot of money for these poor farm laborers. Robbers here have shot people off of motorcycles for far less cash.

Another possibility is that Mae Sai immigration is initiating this "show cash" as a scam to count your money, then give you 9,900 bt change and say it's an entrance fee. About 4 or 5 years ago, they charged a 50 bt. fee to leave when going over to Tachilek. They got busted at that game after 6 months or so.

Does anyone know if this '10K notice' has gone on display at other border crossings? If not, I think the big guys in Bangkok immigration should be informed about the Mae Sai change.

Right , wont bore you with the trip details...........had a quick word with immigration at Poipet, theyve never heard of any such rule coming in to force.....looks like Mai Sai are pulling a fast one! An aside....... did my quickest trip ever today left Pattaya at 7am back at 2.30pm.......the border was deserted not one person queued both exiting and re-entering. Went with Luxury Visa runs 3rd road.....Pattaya. :o

Right , wont bore you with the trip details...........had a quick word with immigration at Poipet, theyve never heard of any such rule coming in to force.....looks like Mai Sai are pulling a fast one! An aside....... did my quickest trip ever today left Pattaya at 7am back at 2.30pm.......the border was deserted not one person queued both exiting and re-entering. Went with Luxury Visa runs 3rd road.....Pattaya. :o

Nice simple and easy. Either Mae Sai is pulling fast one or a troll is obsessed with rumor spreading

Let me also point out that this is a potentially dangerous troll possibly spreading a false rumor that a wad of cash is needed to accompany a visa runner to mae sai. If true, this could be the deed of a criminal mind. To all, beware. A lot of Newbies reporting on this so called mae sai new rule. Likely the act of one sick mind (Joe Joe, Love and Laughter)

had  a  quick  word  with  immigration  at  Poipet,  theyve  never  heard  of  any  such  rule  coming  in  to  force.....looks  like  Mai  Sai  are  pulling  a  fast  one!

From what I have read in the past, my understanding is that the various immigrations posts have a certain amount of latitude in how they enforce policy. This flexibility has never made an awful lot of sense to me (but what do I know?). I would think that one would want an even-handed immigrations policy all around the country.

One would think that the only effect implementing such a policy at the Mae Sai border crossing will have is that it will push the marginal long-stayers to a different border crossing every thirty days (assuming this policy is actually enforced for any length of time). Less work for immigrations in Mae Sai, more work for somebody else...

Let me also point out that this is a potentially dangerous troll possibly spreading a false rumor that a wad of cash is needed to accompany a visa runner to mae sai. If true, this could be the deed of a criminal mind. To all, beware. A lot of Newbies reporting on this so called mae sai new rule. Likely the act of one sick mind (Joe Joe, Love and Laughter)

Wrong again Bob!

I'm in the far north of T Land and I can get quick info on Mae Sai from many guest houses. I knew, from my Aussie friend, before i made my run that the other guy, with the bad news, was probably a troll.

Can't you phone someone and check this info about the 10K bt?

Better, ....can you get this info to the bosses of immigration in Bangkok?

the last 3 weeks i have been to both had lek and poi pot, nobody has asked to see money, and at had lek as i had so much money on me i would have refused to show them, unfortuneately it werent my money, but i did get the chance to rub it against my naked body though, dont u just love 1000baht bills sticking to ur sweaty naked body :o

Problem with contacting Bangkok is that Mae Sai are probably not doing anything illegal (other than maybe going to short change you after counting the cash) ......as pointed out already each immigration office has a certain degree of latitude in how they apply the rules/regs and one of the requirements for tourist visa exemption is that you must have either 10000 baht for an individual or 20k for a family.

Wrong again Bob!

I'm in the far north of T Land and I can get quick info on Mae Sai from many guest houses. I knew, from my Aussie friend, before i made my run that the other guy, with the bad news, was probably a troll.

It is on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Problem with contacting Bangkok is that Mae Sai are probably not doing anything illegal

Indeed, it's a bit hard to see the exact nature of a complaint to the Bangkok immigrations powers-that-be: that their post in Mae Sai is now bothering to enforce the long-standing immigration rules?

This is really more of the same old story. Thailand has any number of laws, rules and regulations on the books that are not enforced on a routine basis. The authorities are perfectly within their rights to dust off any these laws whenever a crackdown is deemed necessary.

Case in point: when the uproar initially occurred regarding the early closing of bars and entertainment venues a couple years back, no new law had been passed. The authorities merely started to enforce something that had been on-the-books since the 1960's or the 1970's.

If not, I think the big guys in Bangkok immigration should be informed about the Mae Sai change.

Sorry, but I would NOT recommend that!!

This is Thailand, and as it goes (the) immigration (department) would lose face (because of some greedy individuals), with the result that they would implement this practice as an official rule (Eventually not only in Mae Sai but at all borders...) All this just to keep face.

(Wouldn't be the first time...) :o

Don't wake up sleeping dogs, but only report it to the department in Bangkok if they actually (not potentially) fleece you.

This is far from a vicious rumour. I've had it on good authority from two friends that means testing IS going on at Mae Sai. The former was told he would need to show B10,000 in cash on his next visa run or be denied back into the country whilst the latter was told a bank statment indicating a balance of B20,000 was necessary or face similar. This sucks.