Korat Immigration Office Will Be Closed?

dutch

Spoke with the officers today after hearing the rumour that this office will be closed.

It was not yet 100% but.......if you look at the faces!!!!!

This is a wonderfull office with nice,friendly and always willing to help,officers.

Our next nearby immigration office will be about 250 km away.

We are intending to make a petition with as much signatures as possible.

Also individual emails will be printed and joined with the petition.

This is bad new’s I can’t understand why this decision has been made , when ive been there the office seem’s to be well used, so why should any one want to close down an Immigration office in the second largest city in Thailand, that offers a better alternative to many , than making a trip to Bangkok….. so closing it down Just does not make any sense at all.

Here is a link to the topic on the Korat forum:

http:// koratfarang.com/board/index.php?topic=2875.0

They are doing a petition and email campaign to try to keep the office open. Go to the forum and check out the details.

If you are affected by the proposed closure of this office please click on the link above and go sign the petition or send an email of support.

We have a People Power Party Government now so maybe Farang People Power can help keep this office open.... :o:D:D

Closing Udon and Korat are not the same thing.

Udon Thani didn't have an imm office. Officers from NK went there (once a week?) to provide some services.

If I'm not mistaken, the NK office now has to get approval from the Korat office (head of the Northeastern Region) for some things.

Lets hope that whatever support we can drum up does some good.

A petition has been made by local farang in Korat. A copy is available at George and Dragon, Sports and Cocktails and Isaan Lawyers' office. If you can sign this petition as quick as possible, we were told by an immigration officer in Korat that this might help. We probably have only one week.

A petition has been made by local farang in Korat. A copy is available at George and Dragon, Sports and Cocktails and Isaan Lawyers' office. If you can sign this petition as quick as possible, we were told by an immigration officer in Korat that this might help. We probably have only one week.

Please if you have anything to do with Korat either sign the petition or send a PM with your thoughts to Dutch.

We have about 45 signatures which is just not enough.

I see more farang than that whenever I go to The Mall.... :o:D

Since last Monday there is also a copy available at the Korat Immigration Office.

Yeah and you'll be out of a job. Just move on, it's called life

Spoke with the officers today after hearing the rumour that this office will be closed.

It was not yet 100% but.......if you look at the faces!!!!!

This is a wonderfull office with nice,friendly and always willing to help,officers.

Our next nearby immigration office will be about 250 km away.

We are intending to make a petition with as much signatures as possible.

Also individual emails will be printed and joined with the petition.

Kap Choeng is a nicer place and is a lot friendlier than Korat IMOP

• 2 weeks later...

Well.....I wonder in what office you have been :o

I was there yesterday (friday) early afternoon and spoke to the officers.

At the same time I collected the lists with signatures to support the petition.

Immigration itself printed on the list (that I provided after their permission) in red "KORAT IMMIGRATION CLOSE"

Why would they do that?

We do have around 250 signatures/emails and letters in just a short period.These are mostly coming from people with internet connection and I suppose there are still a lot of people unaware of what might be happen.

It is the plan to hand the petition to 3 local politicians with a copy to the Immigration boss in Korat.

The 3 local politicians are aproved by The Korat Immigration Office ( I asked them :D )

Anybody else who want to support please send me a pm or an email :D

Thank you

hi dutch, well i did say he was thai, he was also in uniform. seemed to understand me but i did /do have my doubts about that as i do with anything a thai tells me. including the wife.lol. hope my guy is right.

And.........did you sign the petition? :o

I went on the 11th for my 90 day reporting. My Thai wife was with me we asked the question about the office closing and was told that there is no official comunication on this and they suspect it is a rumur. However they said if we were concerned we should get in touch with the imigration head office in Bangkok. My wife has done so and was told that there are no plans to close the office.

Who do we belive dont Know, but I do no one thing. Rumors on Thai Visa are rife.

I went on the 11th for my 90 day reporting. My Thai wife was with me we asked the question about the office closing and was told that there is no official comunication on this and they suspect it is a rumur. However they said if we were concerned we should get in touch with the imigration head office in Bangkok. My wife has done so and was told that there are no plans to close the office.

Who do we belive dont Know, but I do no one thing. Rumors on Thai Visa are rife.

Funny that they (immigration officers) supported the petition that has been on the visitors desk for quite some time :o

Spoke to them last friday afternoon and they were advised ( by fax from HQ Bangkok last monday 18 feb) not to speak with the visitors about this subject anymore.(too many emails at HQ :D:D )

Situation is still the same and we will have to wait.

We are prepairing a letter to MP's of Korat about this matter and we were advised to continue with that plan.

If it is not true,I enjoyed doing the things we did and nobody got hurt.

If it is true,we at least did our utmost to protest and also nobody got hurt :D

Funny that they (immigration officers) supported the petition that has been on the visitors desk for quite some time :o

Spoke to them last friday afternoon and they were advised ( by fax from HQ Bangkok last monday 18 feb) not to speak with the visitors about this subject anymore.(too many emails at HQ :D:D )

We are prepairing a letter to MP's of Korat about this matter and we were advised to continue with that plan.

Yes this is thailand and as I said befor rumurs are rife on this site.

Read the main imigration one. How many rumurs I dread to think.

What you are doing is indeed good and for all our sakes lets hope it is not true.

I see even after the Fax from Bangkok they are still talking to you on the subject. As I said befor this is Thailand.

Realy plays about with the 90 reporting if the office closes.

Who is we are preparing a letter. I would like to add my support to any letter sent.

P.S. My previous post was not directed at you but at all the rumurs on this site maybe I should have opened a new thread for that particular comment.

My wife and family Know lots of people from Bangkok imigration and I am trying to get more information on this topic.

Udon and now closing Korat, wow, I am sure they have their reason, however it just seem that when the power that be has a good working system, someone just have to change it: example I was in a local bank a day or so ago they use to have the number system(take number/take a seat relax) wait for number to be call get first available teller, now low and behold they are back to having you stand in line, ie same thing at the Post Office, you figure it???? :D:o:D:D

Udon and now closing Korat, wow, I am sure they have their reason, however it just seem that when the power that be has a good working system, someone just have to change it: example I was in a local bank a day or so ago they use to have the number system(take number/take a seat relax) wait for number to be call get first available teller, now low and behold they are back to having you stand in line, ie same thing at the Post Office, you figure it???? :D:o:D:D

At the post office here, you simply throw you ID card or drivers licence in a little basket next to the counter. They'll call out your name when its your turn. Sort of like a lottery who'se turn it is next, but more often than not I win....must be the farang effect...lol

Funny that they (immigration officers) supported the petition that has been on the visitors desk for quite some time :D

What you are doing is indeed good and for all our sakes lets hope it is not true.

I see even after the Fax from Bangkok they are still talking to you on the subject. As I said befor this is Thailand.

Who is we are preparing a letter. I would like to add my support to any letter sent.

P.S. My previous post was not directed at you but at all the rumurs on this site maybe I should have opened a new thread for that particular comment.

My wife and family Know lots of people from Bangkok imigration and I am trying to get more information on this topic.

We = the people from koratfarangdotcom with support from KK forum and several others.

The letter concept is published in the forum and will be translated into Thai on Tuesdayy 26 febr.

This Thai letter plus the original English letter will be mailed to three selected Korat MP's with a copy to the head of immigration office Korat.

Enclosed will be 260 individual reactions and letters/emails that we received.All reactions with full name and address.

You still can email/pm me and I will print and add to the file.

My contact at the office requested not to name him anymore :o .I think he is a little surprised by the reaction from HQ in Bkk (caused by the direct e-mails :D )

Funny that they (immigration officers) supported the petition that has been on the visitors desk for quite some time :D

We = the people from koratfarangdotcom with support from KK forum and several others.

The letter concept is published in the forum and will be translated into Thai on Tuesdayy 26 febr.

This Thai letter plus the original English letter will be mailed to three selected Korat MP's with a copy to the head of immigration office Korat.

Enclosed will be 260 individual reactions and letters/emails that we received.All reactions with full name and address.

You still can email/pm me and I will print and add to the file.

My contact at the office requested not to name him anymore :o .I think he is a little surprised by the reaction from HQ in Bkk (caused by the direct e-mails :D )

Thank you very much for the address of the outher forum I shall enrol today.

I will also send you a PM with my support.

Lot more information and better reaction on outher site.

I do not live in Korat bad in one of the surounding areas aprox 65Km SW.

I think you quote of 4000 Farang is very low because in the surunding area I come from there must be at least 100 Farang.

Keep up the good work and dont rest until we get some official confirmation.

Bye for now

• 2 weeks later...

To-day we received a phonecall from the Immigration Office.

They promissed to react (in written) to our petition.

As soon as we receive the letter we will publish.

Edited by dutch

• 2 weeks later...

To-day we received the official answer.

(original post was in Thai language and this is an official translation)

Here's a translation of the letter received today:

====================================

(-Garuda-)

At Tor Chor0029.511/1007 Northeastern Immigration Center

TOT pcl Building, 1st floor,

118 Moo 10 Kok-kruat Sub-District,

Muang District, Nakhon ratchasima 30280

12 March 2008.

Title: Possible closure of Northeastern Immigration Center

To: The Korat expatriate community

Reference: The letter from The Korat expatriate community signed on February 28, 2008.

We refer to your letter in reference asking the officials to reconsider the closure of Northeastern Immigration Center because many expatriates live in the area of Nakhon Ratchasima and it is essential to extend their temporary stay in the Kingdom and also make their 90 days report of extension.

The Northeastern Immigration Center would like to inform you that our office is still operating as normal. You may come and do your official business during official hours. There is no clarity that the office might close or move to another place. It?s because of the Royal Thai Police?s policy.

I still confirm that The Northeastern Immigration Center is presently operating at the same location and will increase its efficiency in service.

For information and kindly publicize this to all people concerned

Yours truly,

Police Colonel (-signed-)

(Banpot Kongkachan)

Deputy Commander Northeastern Immigration Center

unquote