1000 Words

deejah

i understand you need about 1000 vocab words to begin to communicate effectively in another language

does anyone have a list in English?

even better

a list in English with the Thai transliterations (thai words using english the alpahbet)

if not then i have a big job ahead of me

perhaps you will see me post it in a few years :o

There was a list posted on here before which was in Thai and slightly dated. You could search for that or if not I could find it and upload it. You could then, if you need, enter it into www.thai2english.com and get the phonetic transcription.

i understand you need about 1000 vocab words to begin to communicate effectively in another language

even better

a list in English with the Thai transliterations (thai words using english the alpahbet)

buy yourself a dictionary, i would recommend benjawan poomsan becker's 'thai-english english-thai' dictionary. this dictionary has transliteration for non-thai speakers and is very easy to use. to go along with the dictionary buy yourself 'thai for beginners' also by benjawan poomsan becker. it teaches you all four language skills speaking,listening,reading and writing it comes with a cd. good luck!

5tash, thank you for posting the link to that list. I know how difficult it can sometimes be to find an old post and it was kind of you to make the effort.

I have now copied the list into the attached Excel sheet so that anybody interested can add extra columns to it for the English translation and transliteration.

--

Maestro

1000_most_frequent_thai_words.xls

even better

am i missing something?

or i am right that that list has neither the English translation nor the English alphabet transliteration

completely useless unless you unready know Thai

nice try however

thanks anyway

I think you are missing something. If you click on the website I suggested you can enter the entire list and get both a transliteration and a translation. Putting this into a list though is an extremely long-winded process. If you do it yourself, by all means, post it here. By then you'll have realised why nobody had done it for you.

even better

am i missing something?

or i am right that that list has neither the English translation nor the English alphabet transliteration

completely useless unless you unready know Thai

nice try however

thanks anyway

Have you bought yourself a dictionary yet?

New_words.xls

even better

I do have a list that I've put together during the last year or two - mostly general words and a few expressions/phrases here and there. Thai, the transliteration and of course, the English meaning. The tonal signs are also included in the transliteration (thanks to http://www.thai2english.com/ - great online-dictionary!). I haven't counted how many words are on the list, but I think it must be about 1,000. This list is really just to build up my vocabulary.

__3588___3635___3624___3633___3614___3607___3660___3651___3627___3617___3656__New_words.xls

Edited by djayz

Continuing the word topic, can anybody explain เทคแคร์ to me? Haven't been able to find it in any of the dictionaries - I'm wondering is it the transliteration of "take care"?

• 1 month later...

While bored and for my own interest I created a small program to output a collated list of the 1000 words excel file, this also includes links to a dictionary lookup via Thai2English...in case it helps anyone.

1000thai.php.htm

Edit: Fixed.

Edited by ArtfulD

In the past week plus I went at it from different directions. I started with the 1000 most used Thai words (that was over several days), then I backed out and began compiling a list of all the Thai words used in lessons from AUA, Becker and others as I figured they did their homework. Well, some of the words are useless (especially from AUA) so I had to cull.

I also found a list at the back of Speaking Thai, the fastest way to speak Thai. Again, I only took what I felt would be useful (a lot of old fashioned words got deleted).

My list has English first, then Thai (in LARGE letters), pronounciation, then the description from thai2english.com as well as the url for each name / mini phrase (if I can find it).

The list has been formatted to fit into an A4, printing out everything except for the information gleaned from thai2english.com - English, Thai, Pronounciation.

In the beginning my list was separated by subject - greetings, gender, months and years, alphabet, colours, numbers, verbs, who/what/where, places, direction, shopping ... now it's one long list but I've kept subjects as sheets in the Excel file I'm editing.

Also included is a brief layout of Thai sentence structure. Btw - I looked around and the simplist I found is at 1stopbangkok.com: sentences and www.1stopbangkok.com: grammar

My plan is to play around using a simple sentence layout.

A plus, my Thai teacher has agreed to record the list as well as important sentences I'll use in my daily life.

I realise memorizing a list is not as benefitial as learning word snippets (for me anyway). But I also know that listening to Thai I can build on is. Note: snippets are included in my list ...

Anyway, I'm not finished (looks to be several more days to go) but I'll post it here when I'm satisfied at how it reads.