Non "0" Visa Multiple Entry In Kl

Hi,

As the very first person on TV to post that Singapore don't issue multiple entry visas, I'm glad to provide a positive report on my trip to KL for a multiple entry Non Immigrant ""O" to visit Thai wife.

With things constantly changing, (Penang issue, Singapore issue, KL don't, Penang don't, Penang do, KL do, Singapore don't etc) I thought in light of recent reports it would be better to try and grab a visa in KL. I could have waited another 6 weeks, but then maybe things will have changed again. It does however seem that at any given moment there will be somewhere in the region issuing the visa.

It was my first time to KL, so I thought I'd post some (hopefully) helpful info for anyone heading there. I tried to do this on a pretty tight budget, seeing as I blew a load of money going to Singapore recently and only got 90 days. I had no accommodation booked, just read a few reviews of cheap hotels on the internet. I also printed off some maps of the location of the embassy, KL metro system etc.

I took the 3pm Air Asia flight, which arrived in KL at the LCCT (low cost carrier terminal)at around 6pm. The taxis in KL have a pretty bad rep so I was out to avoid them if at all possible. Walked out of the terminal and there were some big tour buses parked opposite, bright red and yellow. I think AirAsia run one bus and the other one is Skybus or something similar. They will take you to KL Sentral station for RM9 (RM10 = THB100).

That is around an hour journey. I had decided I would stay in the Jalan Bukit Bintang area (good for shopping etc, like a poor mans Orchard Rd). Once arrived at KL Sentral walked across the road to the Monorail station and bought a ticket for "Bukit Bintang" Cost around RM2. My first priority was to grab a room, then something to eat.

The first hotel on my list was the "Agora" which I spotted immediately as I exited the monorail station, they had some rooms but the receptionist said the only rooms available were quite noisy as a live band was playing next door til 3am.

I then wandered down to another place and took a room, by now it was getting late and I couldn't be bothered being fussy. The place had some Chinese sounding same (serong wong or something), paid RM138. The room was nothing special, worn out furnishings, shower partly broken but it was somewhere to sleep.

I took a walk outside up the road and spotted a large number of Indians going into a restaurant called the Srirekha, went in there and had a fantastic Indian meal, can thoroughly recommend the prawn jhinga masala and the chicken tikka masala, garlic naans were excellent, with pilau rice, ice cream and washed down with a couple of Carlsbergs was only RM70.

The next morning at 8 am I checked out of the flea pit, had a Sausage and Egg Mcmuffin (not sausage and egg burger !) and a coffee (RM7), then made my way toward the embassy. The nearest metro station to the embassy is Ampang Park on the Kelana Jaya line, and I had to take 2 stops to Bukit Nanas monorail station where I walked across to the Dang Wangi MRT station. From there it is only 3 stops to Ampang Park.

At Ampang Park station make sure you walk past the McDonalds and KFC (in the opposite direction of the big Bank of China building). Cross the traffic lights and walk approximately 10 minutes and you will arrive at the Thai embassy.

I got there around 9am and there was already 20 or so people there before me. When you arrive they will log your passport number and give you an application form. Then proceed to the covered area and fill out the form. The doors open for visa applications at 9.30, but it was closer to 9.45 when they finally opened up.

Upon entering the building you will be given a queue number, and there are 4 windows at the front taking applications and an automated queueing system. By 10.00 am there were approx 100 people waiting, the usual selection of puffs, pimps and piano players :o Keep the queue number, you'll need it when you collect your passport.

Upon my turn, I presented the following

1) Copy of wifes ID card

2) Copy of Tabien Baan

3) Copy and original marriage certificate

4) Copy of kids Thai birth certificates.

5) Copy of Thai bank book with balance over 400K

6) Letter from wife requesting they issue me a multiple entry visa to visit her and the children in Thailand.

The girl was pleasant, and scrutinised everything I presented, including the original marriage certificate and the letter (she was muslim but could read Thai). This was then handed back and I was asked to pay RM550, a receipt was issued. Passports can be collected after 11.30 the following day.

Then back to Jalan Bukit Bintang where I checked into the Tai Ichi hotel, highly recomended (google it). RM121, quite small room but immaculately clean, nice soft towels etc. The sign is easy to miss, look for the Subway (sandwich shop) sign and walk inside. The sandwich shop is to the rear of the hotel reception. The lady on reception was very personable.

I was planning to go up the towers, but it was pouring with rain and thick cloud, so I had a very nice lunch in the basement foodcourt of the Lot 10 shopping mall (fantastic array of food, chinese, indian, malay and very cheap) then spent the afternoon wandering round the enormous BB plaza. Back to the same Indian place in the evening. Aroy maak.

The next morning I checked out at 10am and headed to the embassy. When I arrived at 11.00 the passports were being delivered to the front desk. I had my passport back and was on my way by 11.10.

Took the metro back to KL Sentral station, had a KFC (on the upper level, far superior to the Thai version IMO), then outside, down the escalator and jumped on a bus to airport LCCT (RM8). Checked in immediately for 16.15 flight to BKK The airport is a dump with very little in the way of anything, I recommend you bring a book. There is a McDonalds (quarter pounder with cheese RM6) and a coffee shop. The flight left a bit early which was a suprise for AA.

Total cost including flights/visa etc THB 18,000

Hope this helps anyone who is heading to KL for a visa.

Cheers

Edited by INTJ

I got back from Kuala Lumpur today.

I was applying for a Non-immigrant O visa for a retiree. I was told i can only apply from my home country. I had original letter from the bank (800,000 bht.) & copy of bank book.

They gave me a single entry Tourist visa. It was stamped on entry "Until 17th August" = 60 days.

Also i would like to report that i stayed at the Matahari Lodge and it was great. New place, VERY CLEAN, friendly and well run. 11 bucks a night for a single room that cannot be faulted for that price. You can book online at many internet sites. Situated right opposite and facing Pasar Seni LRT station. Just round the corner from China Town with great places to eat and drink etc. 5 stops to Ampang Park (follow instructions above to Thai Embassy)

https://www.hosteltraveler.com/services/res...12d32ae9fbcd3cb

I know the tourist visa can be extended for a month at immigration in BKK. Does anyone how how many times i can repeat this process?

Ie; leave Thaialnd for KL/ Singapore etc. get a 60 day tourist visa, extend for a month then repeat?

Cheers

Edited by russianrobert

You can obtain visa/extension of stay for retirement inside Thailand at an Immigration office if you meet the 800k in a Thai bank account 3 months or 65k per month income or combination and are over age 50.

For multi tourist visas it will be up to the Consulate and they change policy often.

Yes Robert take your passport and bankbook to Immigration and they will upgrade your Visa to a Non O Visa. 2 months after that go back and with your bank book and a letter from your bank showing the 800,000 and they will give you a Years Retirement extension.

Total cost 3,900 Baht.