Earthquake Felt In Phuket

george

Earthquake felt in Phuket

BANGKOK: -- No damage was reported today after tremors from an earthquake in the Indian Ocean were felt on Thailand's Andaman island of Phuket.

A statement from the Meteorological Department said that the earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter Scale was felt on the island this afternoon, despite Phuket being 550 kilometres away from the epicentre near the Nicobar Islands.

Phuket was one of the Andaman provinces to receive extensive damage from the Asian tsunami on 26 December, which caused the loss of over 5,300 lives in Thailand alone.

--TNA 2005-02-16

Admin comment:

We got this is the news feed earlier today, but it was not classified and coded as important. Should we have published it anyway? Comments?

/Admin

Moderate quake hits near India's Nicobar Islands

HONG KONG (AP): A moderate earthquake shook India's remote Nicobar Islands, which have been jolted by aftershocks since the Dec. 26 tsunami disaster, Hong Kong seismologists said Wednesday.

There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage from the 5.6-magnitude quake, which struck at 0825 GMT Wednesday.

The tremor was centered about 320 kilometers (199 miles) northwest of Banda Aceh, the Indonesian city that was battered by the Asian earthquake-tsunami disaster, the Hong Kong Observatory said.

Several moderate quakes have struck the same area in recent weeks.

--AP 2005-01-16

BANGKOK: --  No damage was reported today after tremors from an earthquake in the Indian Ocean were felt on Thailand's Andaman island of Phuket.....

That's two earthquakes and I didn't feel either of 'em. If I do feel one, it's going to be big... :o

George - yes, please - publish ASAP. Better safe than sorry. Again.

BANGKOK: --  No damage was reported today after tremors from an earthquake in the Indian Ocean were felt on Thailand's Andaman island of Phuket.....

That's two earthquakes and I didn't feel either of 'em. If I do feel one, it's going to be big... :D

George - yes, please - publish ASAP. Better safe than sorry. Again.

There was a reasonable tremor in Tokyo also about 4.30am wednesday morning, enough to have woken people up, my building was swaying

Scarey! :o