San Khampheang A Good Day Out?

maerim

I have been going to the hot springs at San Khampheang for many years and have up until today found it an agreeable way to spend half a day or so.

One of the reasons was that everyone paid the same to get in, 20 baht I am not sure why I should be grateful for not being overcharged but there you go.

We went there this morning my wife, her daughter and I, my missus paid for us to get as I was fending of some very large dogs that were trying to eat our very small dogs, another smart move by Thai stallholders have fierce dogs that attack customers.

When we got inside I noticed for the first time that the massage areas had two prices one in English and one in Thai, half an hour 120 baht in English so I asked how much in Thai script. 80 baht.

I can’t read Thai but I do know when I am being ripped off, I asked my wife how much she was charged to get in 60 baht was the reply so I said 20 baht each? Nope, 15 baht for her and the daughter and 30 baht for me.

That was it, come on we are going home, on the way out I asked the ladies doing the foot massage why there is two prices? Don’t know was the reply, why don’t you know as you are doing the work and the charging.

My missus by this time was wishing the earth would open up and swallow her; I on the other hand was wishing the earth would open up and swallow the greedy little tyke who came up with this idea.

On the way back to the car park I asked the girl in the ticket office the same question but she had forgotten how to speak English.

My wife was very embarrassed, so what? Tough. I asked her why I should have to pay more. We have had this argument many times by the way I got the same answer I get of most Thai’s I have more money than Thai people, well so does my wife so why is she not charged the same rate as me?

I am still waiting for financial contributions from a previous post re the same subject from the morons on this forum who think this idea of overcharging “aliens” is a good idea.

So you thought, let's like discuss it all over again? :o

Note that I'm completely the same as you.. Once when I was already half way on the Doi Suthep cable car I noticed that my wife had paid more for my ticket, so made her go back to get it changed to a Thai ticket while giving them an earful.

(I know.. I know..) On some days I handle my overall jai-yen-ness better than on others. :D

well done for making a fuss , i've argued with pathetic apologists on this forum until i'm blue in the face over this despicable , greedy , racist practice of cheating foriegners because we are supposed to have more money than the poor poverty sticken local fleece merchants.

why the fukc dont they put the notices in english then , its just another low underhand cowardly scam by people who havent got the guts or enough decency to post their prices or even attempt to justify the scam.

its cheating , something that thais are very adept at , taking advantage of both their own and foriegners alike , given half a chance.

a filthy pox on the lot of them and all those apologists with no self respect who gladly and stupidly allow themselves to be walked over by scamster scum. :o

5 baht or 500 baht. its not the point.

well done for making a fuss , i've argued with pathetic apologists on this forum until i'm blue in the face over this despicable , greedy , racist  practice of cheating foriegners because we are supposed to have more money than the poor poverty sticken local fleece merchants.

why the fukc dont they put the notices in english then , its just another low underhand cowardly scam by people who havent got the guts or enough decency to post their prices or even attempt to justify the scam.

its cheating , something that thais are very adept at , taking advantage of both their own and foriegners alike , given half a chance.

a filthy pox on the lot of them and all those apologists with no self respect who gladly  and stupidly allow themselves to be walked over by scamster scum. :D

5 baht or 500 baht. its not the point.

Time to pack the bags then guys :o

those two photos show exactly why the practice is cheating at its lowest.

they havent even got the guts to print the prices properly.

its lying , its scamming , its making fools of those who get suckered into it , and those who are aware of it and gladly , smilingly , go along with it are making fools of themselves and showing the thais how easy it is to take money from dumb falangs with money to burn.

thats my lot on this subject , until the next time. :o

It took only 5-10 minutes of persuasion that I'm not a tourist -- that I live in LOS and that I now live in the San Kamphaeng area and will be a regular. No heavy stuff, just a matter-of-fact statement delivered without being disrespectful etc.; I am happy to say that I pay the Thai price consistently, even for the massage services. Same thing for another local A/C Spa/massage place with English signs asking for 250/hr. for Thai Massage -- after the same convincing, knocked the price down to 90/hr. Been there 3 times and no hassles since the initial agreement was carved in stone. :D

Phuket Zoo however still remains the only place (I think) that refused my negotiations outright -- so I left. But why complain? Lost one, but won all (or most others). How bad can that be? :o

It took only 5-10 minutes of persuasion that I'm not a tourist -- that I live in LOS and that I now live in the San Kamphaeng area and will be a regular.  No heavy stuff, just a matter-of-fact statement delivered without being disrespectful etc.; I am happy to say that I pay the Thai price consistently, even for the massage services.  Same thing for another local A/C Spa/massage place with English signs asking for 250/hr. for Thai Massage -- after the same convincing, knocked the price down to 90/hr.  Been there 3 times and no hassles since the initial agreement was carved in stone.  :D

Phuket Zoo however still remains the only place (I think) that refused my negotiations outright -- so I left.  But why complain?  Lost one, but won all (or most others).  How bad can that be?  :D

Now, there's that Harmony I remember :D

Life is way too short to be so serious about such stuff, imo. :o

It took only 5-10 minutes of persuasion that I'm not a tourist -- that I live in LOS and that I now live in the San Kamphaeng area and will be a regular.  No heavy stuff, just a matter-of-fact statement delivered without being disrespectful etc.; I am happy to say that I pay the Thai price consistently, even for the massage services.  Same thing for another local A/C Spa/massage place with English signs asking for 250/hr. for Thai Massage -- after the same convincing, knocked the price down to 90/hr.  Been there 3 times and no hassles since the initial agreement was carved in stone.   :D

Phuket Zoo however still remains the only place (I think) that refused my negotiations outright -- so I left.  But why complain?  Lost one, but won all (or most others).  How bad can that be?   :D

Now, there's that Harmony I remember :D

Life is way too short to be so serious about such stuff, imo. :o

:D

But it felt long today when SCB hit me for 1,200 Baht in fees for a couple transactions using my Phuket account! .... but this was quickly forgotten when I was asked if Los Angeles is Russia? ... I'd have paid double for that! :D