Phuket Air More Problems

tso310

Taken from The Nation today.

Phuket Air suffers further embarrassment

Published on April 11, 2005

Phuket Air suffered another blow to its reputation yesterday when many passengers cancelled their flight to the Netherlands after learning that it would be delayed by over 20 hours.

Some passengers on flight 9R619 from Bangkok to Amsterdam also complained about having to wait for hours during the afternoon heat in an aircraft whose air-conditioning system was switched off.

Chawanit Chiamcharoenvut, executive vice president of Phuket Airlines Co Ltd, denied the air-conditioners were switched off. He said that after the engine was started, the air-conditioning system needed time to cool the cabin due to the extremely hot weather outside.

“I insist that there is no problem with the aircraft. We are well prepared for the flight. Our pilot doesn’t want to risk his life. Delays are unavoidable sometimes,” he said.

The executive said the flight was delayed because the aircraft originally designated to fly the route was undergoing urgent repairs in Britain. Airline officials also had to wait for authorities at the Amsterdam airport to clear the plane to land outside of its originally allotted time, he said.

The flight, which was originally scheduled to leave Bangkok at 11.50pm on Saturday, was eventually slated to take off at 9pm last night.

A passenger who requested anonymity said a fellow passenger fainted at about 5pm yesterday after waiting for two hours on the plane. She said passengers were told to board the plane at about 3pm but were not told until later that the flight would leave at 9pm.

She said many of the remaining passengers decided to defy an order for them to remain on the plane after the passenger that fainted was removed for treatment. The anonymous woman and her daughter were among those who later cancelled their tickets.

Earlier this month, British authorities investigated three separate incidents involving Phuket Air described as “horror flights” by the media in that country.

The airline twice aborted flights from the United Arab Emirates bound for Britain last Sunday when passengers angrily complained after spotting fuel gushing from a wing.

Another flight was delayed overnight last Wednesday due to hydraulic problems. On the following day a flight from London’s Gatwick Airport to Bangkok returned to the British capital after an engine had to be shut off mid-flight.

The privately run airline was established in 2001, starting with flights to Ranong and Phuket. Later it offered international flights to London and Amsterdam

The chances are that this airline will be grounded, at least its unworthy planes, before they have a disaster.

I'm surprised that Mt T is still allowing this airline to embarrass Thailand, maybe he wants the Hub of antique aircraft title.

Doc, any chance of Phuket Air being the sponsor for The Travel Forum? :o

The chances are that this airline will be grounded, at least its unworthy planes, before they have a disaster.

I'm surprised that Mt T is still allowing this airline to embarrass Thailand, maybe he wants the Hub of antique aircraft title.

Doc, any chance of Phuket Air being the sponsor for The Travel Forum?  :o

That'd impact on George's handbag and delay even further the elusive TV members pissup :D

?I insist that there is no problem with the aircraft. We are well prepared for the flight.  Our pilot doesn?t want to risk his life  Delays are unavoidable sometimes,? he said.

I cannot BELIEVE that you guys didnt pounce on that absolute gem of a quote from the spokesperson... :o

and what - the passengers are expected to risk their lives? plus sit in a hot plane?

Doc's right - cowboy outfit, only they are using horses that should have been sent to the knackers yard for glue making YEARS ago.....

pity really - back in 2001 I used to take the Phuket-Ranong service to get up to the Burmese border to go to work - when they had just started out. They were great at that time.

Since they bought new Airbuses about 7-8 years ago I believe Vietnam Airlines are still looking for a buyer for all of their old Illushin and Tupos (end of the runways at Ho-Chee Ming and Hanoi)

They are only about 40 years old but with guarantees and the lifejackets and parachutes have all been tested. :D

They used be a bit draughty but at least no need to worry about the air con :D just open the windows.

Could give Poo Air the edge that it needs to be different..... :o .

Since they bought new Airbuses about 7-8 years ago I believe Vietnam Airlines are still looking for a buyer for all of their old Illushin and Tupos (end of the runways at Ho-Chee Ming and Hanoi)

They are only about 40 years old but with guarantees and the lifejackets and parachutes have all been tested. :D

They used be a bit draughty but at least no need to worry about the air con :D just open the windows.

Could give Poo Air the edge that it needs to be different..... :o .

:D

It is very frightening when you consider the Thai's tendancy, with motorbikes for example, to get as much use as possible out of them and only replace when something goes wrong... And then what?

Well this sometimes happens in the U.K. but normally when a small airline gets a lot of flak or a bad reputation they just re-invent themselves with a new name and re-paint all the new aircraft.

Perhaps Phuket Air could do this and return as a phoenix from the flames with a new nick.

Any suggestions?

Tawdry Air?

Hot Air?

Do You D'Air?

:o

It is very frightening when you consider the Thai's tendancy, with motorbikes for example, to get as much use as possible out of them and only replace when something goes wrong...  And then what?

Well this sometimes happens in the U.K. but normally when a small airline gets a lot of flak or a bad reputation they just re-invent themselves with a new name and re-paint all the new aircraft.

Perhaps Phuket Air could do this and return as a phoenix from the flames with a new nick.

Any suggestions?

Tawdry Air?

Hot Air?

Do You D'Air?

It could only be 'Up 2 U Air'

It is very frightening when you consider the Thai's tendancy, with motorbikes for example, to get as much use as possible out of them and only replace when something goes wrong...  And then what?

Any suggestions?

Tawdry Air?

Hot Air?

Do You D'Air?

It could only be 'Up 2 U Air'

No I think ' Mai Pen Rai International Airways' has a better ring to it

24 and 26 yr old Jumbos..No thanks!

There is nothing inherently wrong with 24-26 years, provided the aircraft have been properly maintained, by a reputable airline. Airliners often fly perfectly safely well into their 30s - before retiring to carry freight, or be broken-up.

One would have thought that (previous owners) KLM were OK on that score.

The fault lies with ageing planes NOT being properly looked-after, which appears to be the case with Poo Air, sadly.

But the idea of reliable low-cost flights between Europe & Thailand is one that most of us would subscribe to - just look at the level of demand, and prices offered, until these problems began to appear.

Almost starting to feel sorry for them...

Just heard on the news as I was leaving this morning that yet another one of their budgies has turned up at Gatwick Airport but this time it was ONLY 24 hours Late........ :o

• 3 weeks later...

MORE PROBLEMS WITH PHUKET AIR... :o

A Jumbo jet from Phuket Air was grounded in Amsterdam yesterday with over 400 Dutch and Belgian passengers, since 1 of the pilots didn't have a valid medication statement; it was more than 6 months old which is a heavy violation in aviation.

Hours later the plane could leave and left for another close-by destination than originally booked and planned...why? the message didn't say why.

ALSO, earlier the authorities at Amsterdam airport found out that Phuket Air planes didn't have the proper and up-to-date fly-maps.

LaoPo

I actually just read on the Dutch news wires that Phuket Air's Amsterdam landing rights have indefinitely been withdrawn by the Dutch authoritities.

165 passengers stuck in Bangkok due to this. No solution found yet how they can return home.

A valid medical statement missing. That's 100 THB max....how stupid can you be ?!

A Jumbo jet from Phuket Air was grounded in Amsterdam yesterday with over 400 Dutch and Belgian passengers, since 1 of the pilots didn't have a valid medication statement; it was more than 6 months old which is a heavy violation in aviation.

Hours later the plane could leave and left for another close-by destination than originally booked and planned...why? the message didn't say why.

ALSO, earlier the authorities at Amsterdam airport found out that Phuket Air planes didn't have the proper and up-to-date fly-maps.

LaoPo

The fact is that the planes may be old but they are VERY sound. I base this on the fact that the last time I flew PA we took off in a thunderstorm and if the plane were not VERY sound it definitely would have come apart. It took the biggest part of a week for the marks on my arm to go away. My girlfriend has an amazing grip when she is terrified. :o

The fact is that the planes may be old but they are VERY sound. I base this on the fact that the last time I flew PA we took off in a thunderstorm and if the plane were not VERY sound it definitely would have come apart. It took the biggest part of a week for the marks on my arm to go away. My girlfriend has an amazing grip when she is terrified.  :o

Saw a DC3 land at Chiang Mai yesterday, a replacement for the 747 perhaps ?

I actually just read on the Dutch news wires that Phuket Air's Amsterdam landing rights have indefinitely been withdrawn by the Dutch authoritities.

165 passengers stuck in Bangkok due to this. No solution found yet how they can return home.

A valid medical statement missing. That's 100 THB max....how stupid can you be ?!

LaoPo

The decision to withdraw the landing rights of Phuket Air in Amsterdam has been taken, together with the Thai Authorities, the news said.

It wasn't just the invalid medical statement of one of the pilots; obvious it was much more than that.

I would never fly with them after such dramatic news-stories in the past months :D, would you?

LaoPo

Cheap air travel in Europe is made possible by the use of brand new planes ,Very economicl fuel cost, low maintanance cost ,low lease cost, and running them with very quick turnarouds. Compare this buissness model with Poo air! They havent a clue!

I was delayed for 4 hours with them back in january!

From PPRuNe Forum

Today the Dutch aviation authorities (IVW) suspended all landing rights for Phuket

Air with immediate effect. The landing rights are suspended after the IVW found one of the operating Phuket Air pilot without the required medical certificate. Phuket Air was warned by the IVW that should adhere more to the international regulations.

165 passengers are stranded in Bangkok and at this moment there is no solution to get the people back to Amsterdam. Earlier this week Phuket Air decided to operate 3 instead of 2 weekly flights between Bangkok and amsterdam

From PPRuNe Forum

Today the Dutch aviation authorities (IVW) suspended all landing rights for Phuket

Air with immediate effect. The landing rights are suspended after the IVW found one of the operating Phuket Air pilot without the required medical certificate. Phuket Air was warned by the IVW that should adhere more to the international regulations.

165 passengers are stranded in Bangkok and at this moment there is no solution to get the people back to Amsterdam. Earlier this week Phuket Air decided to operate 3 instead of 2 weekly flights between Bangkok and amsterdam

So at last one aviation authority has the foresight to halt these cowboys.

In theory all EU members can now ban this airline from operating to and from their countries.

An airline running on a shoe string with clapped out planes and at least one pilot without a required medical certificate, which begs the question why was this not found when the recent inspection was made in Thailand?....Or need I ask!

It's not only bad news for Phuket Air, but also for ca. 2.000 passengers in the month of May who will probably not be able to fly to Thailand since there is a shortage on seats in available planes from other airlines flying to BKK....

Even other destinations will be difficult, the news in Holland said today. No other solution than to pay the passengers back their money (by the travelagents); BUT imagine all these people beiing so disappointed, planning a nice holiday for a long time, and than this...

Of course this will affect the Thai economy also, since many people will decide to go to another destination in the coming summermonths.

What kind of management do they have....Phuket Air; what a disaster!

LaoPo

From PPRuNe Forum

according to the dutch news papers about 600 passengers were affected :o

the dutch authorities also said that until thai inspectors were statisfied with the safety standards of phuket air, and they woould need to prove this to the dutch airport authorities, no flights to holland will be allowed :D

rip...phuket air :D