Dulwich School’s Fate Hangs In Balance

george

Dulwich school’s fate hangs in balance

PHUKET: -- Parents and teachers of the island’s best-known private school, Dulwich International College, are waiting with bated breath for confirmation or denial of reports that the board of Dulwich College in London has withdrawn permission for the use of its name.

All attempts by the Gazette to obtain information from Dulwich College in London, the Phuket school’s owners, parents’ and teachers’ representatives, have met with an unwillingness to go on the record.

However, the board of the London school met on Tuesday and the Gazette understands that withdrawal of the Dulwich name was on the agenda. A public statement about the meeting is expected soon.

Meanwhile, the Phuket school’s headmaster, David Cook, is understood to have been fired by the owners and to have been given until yesterday (April 15) to quit the premises.

No successor has been announced, but rumors point to Canadian Dr George Hickman, currently Director for International Affairs and Adviser to the President on Human Resource Development at Mae Fah Luang University in Chiang Rai, as being the front-runner.

The Gazette understands that a row has been simmering between the London school and the Phuket school’s founder and CEO, Dr Arthit Urairat, since a visit by London board representatives to Phuket in February.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-05-16

Typical story -- use the "brand name" but fail to maintain the standards after a few years.

A shame, because during the tsunami the school did some amazing work, including opening its gymnasium to survivors from Koh Phi Phi -- the teachers tried to help through heart-wrenching stories of families who lost husbands, wives, children. They also scuba dived into basements at Khao Lak to retrieve bodies. My respect for the school increased tremendously after that. I wish them all well.

It is not a rumour about Dr. George Hickman. He is to be the new headmaster. I know this because the school sent an email out asking parents to attend a meeting next week to meet the new head, Dr. George Hickman.

All of Phuket is waiting breathlessly for new news. The rumour mills are working overtime.

steady on there !!

its only a new headmaster. :o

It is much more than just a new headmaster. Some of parents' concerns are:

What will the school be, if not Dulwich International College? Will it be a Thai bi-lingual school? That is a serious possibility. Take a look at this article that was in the Bangkok Post sometime back about the owner, Dr. Arthit.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/education/site2005/cvja1805.htm (sorry, am new to posting links, I hope it works)

If there is no Dulwich, where will all the expat kids go to school? Sounds like a silly, snobbish question I know, but many parents at the school enjoyed the prestige that went along with the Dulwich name.

What about the property market? Many developments have been marketing themselves as being close to the school and Dulwich has been a presence at the Singapore, Hong Kong and Samui property shows. There are many people who have bought property here with the school in mind.

Many parents of children who are about to take IGCSE's and the IB Diploma are also concerned about the continuity of these programs.

These problems are not ones that I, thankfully, have to deal with as I withdrew my children from the school last term. (Many personal reasons to be unhappy) I do feel for families, though, who don't know what the immediate future holds for their children's education in Thailand.

From Arthit

“Dulwich is excellent,” he told the learning post recently at his office at Rangsit University, where he is president, “but it is not the kind of school that is best suited to most Thai students.

Maybe folks think he's pushing any Thai students at Dulwich, or interested in Dulwich, to his own new school...

Arthit hopes for Dulwich to remain an international school. Phuket needs an an international school...I'm sure he won't change it to the bilingual route....he would lose a lot of students and serious money in the process. The students at Dulwich are seeking an international recognized secondary education preparing them for future education in unversities in the western world. This is what Dulwich is providing for hundreds of expat kids living in Phuket....an education that will seamlessly allow them to study post secondary in their home countries.

From Phuketgazette.com:

PHUKET: In a stormy meeting in the Dulwich International College auditorium this afternoon, the school's CEO and founder, Dr Arthit Urairat, clearly failed to allay parents' worries about the future of the school.

Central to the parents' concerns is the relationship between Dr Arthit's team and the franchiser, Dulwich College, London (DCL), with several parents making it quite clear that if the Dulwich name goes, so will their children.

In his initial presentation, Dr Arthit said that he was distressed about "a lot of rumors - all out of the blue".

Addressing these rumors, he said, "We will, now and in the foreseeable future, not break with Dulwich [London]." He added, however, "We have had problems adjusting to inter-cultural management. The system they use in London... may not work so well at a school half a world away... so we have to modify."

He also denied "rumors" that Dulwich would become a bilingual school. "It never occurred to me. It's not true," he stressed.

He attempted to lay the blame for the current problems on the recently-fired headmaster, David Cook, who had made an "inflammatory, unnecessary report" to DCL, criticizing the decision, finalized last week, to close down the "feeder school" on Koh Samui, and claiming low morale among teachers after they had been required to pay tax on housing and tuition for their children.

"These are petty things of detail," Dr Arthit said. "We don't understand why [they] should be reported to Dulwich in London."

He stressed once again, "Now it has been cleared [up] - it's a matter of technical detail how we can work out the problems together."

In the ensuing question-and-answer session, however, when pushed for an answer as to how certain he was that the marriage between Phuket and London would continue, Dr Arthit said, "Ninety percent."

For some parents this was not good enough, and they pressed for the CEO's reasons for not bringing a DCL representative to the meeting, or for not postponing the meeting until Ralph Mainard, Dulwich College's Deputy Master with responsibility for external affairs, could be present.

Mr Mainard was expected to arrive in Phuket this evening.

Dr Arthit said that he had been unaware until last night that Mr Mainard was coming, and added that he would not be able to meet with him because he himself had to fly back to Bangkok this evening.

However, parents were welcome to meet with Mr Mainard themselves, he said, adding that his representatives would be talking with the Deputy Master at a meeting arranged by James Batt, Joint Managing Director of Laguna Resorts & Hotels.

Clearly reluctant to wade into the situation, Mr Batt nevertheless cleared the fog by taking the microphone and telling the assembly that the relationship with Dulwich London was "a marriage in distress", but that great efforts were being made on both sides to mend the relationship, with himself as "marriage guidance counselor".

"A Phuket without Dulwich International College [would be] a poorer Phuket," he added.

The newly appointed Academic Director, Dr George Hickman, in his presentation, stressed his aim to continue maintaining the school's high standards. "There is no need to worry about discontinuance in any way," he said, adding that his door would be open at any time to parents wishing to discuss their concerns.

"Give us a chance to show what we can do," he pleaded. "The turbulence is not nearly as great as it appears from the outside... Leave your children with us.

"Do we need to improve our public relations?" he asked. "I think so. I need your help in healing the situation."

An indication of how much healing will be needed was given by an emotional Debbie Cook, wife of the fired headmaster, who emphatically denied that her husband had compiled the damning report allegedly sent to London, and who detailed the less than genteel manner in which her husband had been removed from his post.

She said that after Mr Cook had declined an offer of three months' compensation in return for his signature on a letter of resignation, the family had been given three days in which to pack and leave. Their car had been taken away, phone service and Internet access had been cut, and the locks on the headmaster's office had been changed. And the family's children had been barred from further education, she added.

In response, Dr Arthit pledged to pay Mr Cook four months' severance pay and to allow his children to complete the school year.

The meeting finally dissolved after an appeal from Dr Arthit for patience on the part of the parents while efforts are made the resolve the dispute.

Being an ex Acadi lad i dont know too much about the wheres,whys and wots-it with regards any great advantages of all these franchise Edu. establishments trying to impersonate the old Boys Angrit School /Class network systems in Bangers but the Thais sure seem to go for it hook line and sinker.

Statement from their Princ sums it up quite well:

We have had problems adjusting to inter-cultural management. The system they use in London... may not work so well at a school half a world away... so we have to modify :D

Dont know where "Dull-Wich"comes in on the pecking order but have just had some T friends over doing a sort of UK Grand Edu.checkout tour.(some sort of new idea " thingy" by the British Tourist Board maybe .. before the Olympics..?? :D )

Any the 2 familys (6 kids -all ages) did London,Cornwall,York,Edinburgh and Glasgow and appear to have come to the conclusion that old Blighty is the place to be.

As said D-W didnt get a mention and all roads for the early years seem to start with "millfield" which is somewhere in the south west with a final polish and finish off at the LSE for future T Prime Ministers......Ye Gods... wont even mention the costs...but :D

Looks like Boiler rooms are now out of date and British Education sales concepts are now the in vogue doshmakers....and No problems getting VISAS :o

Addressing these rumors, he said, "We will, now and in the foreseeable future, not break with Dulwich [London]." He added, however, "We have had problems adjusting to inter-cultural management. The system they use in London... may not work so well at a school half a world away... so we have to modify."

Surely that is the whole point of an international school with a "British" name.

If you are going to send your kid to one of these schools you are doing so on the basis that the style of schooling is British boarding school style, not some watered down version to fit into the culture. You can't take a Mcdonalds francise and choose what you do, liekwise if you are going to use the name of a school.

If the case is that the headmaster wrote a letter to Dulwich school stating that the school was not up to standard and for that he is fired, I for one applaud his professional attitude.

Wonder what Shrewsbury and harrow are like?

I don't see the fuss. DULWICH is just the name of a village in the UK. It has a school and an art gallery called after it. I see no way anyone can prohibit the use of the name Dulwich by anyone else in the world.
Its presumably trademarked....the same way Phuket Air cannot simply rename itself 'Cathay Pacific'

And there is a link between the British School and the Phuket franchise. If the link goes, then standards may not be upheld.

Any school can call itself an 'International School' though, and charge a lot of money. That doesn't mean its any good. Hence these educational links are key benchmarks.

"We have had problems adjusting to inter-cultural management. The system they use in London... may not work so well at a school half a world away"

I've yet another "He'll wish he hadn't said that" sort of feeling

Edited by The_Moog

further info..

Overseas franchises

The College has established three franchise schools and is considering another two.

The principle behind the franchise school programme is that, with no capital investment on the part of the College, it is able to establish an agreement which provides an annual income for the College.£££

Just like a Mac Ds...HAMburger joint but probabally Not any cheaper in LOS.

One of their old Alis...

Anand Panyarachun

Born 1932. School No. 15391. At Dulwich College 1948-1952

et....a wee song to FINI

Pueri Alleynienses. quotquot annos. quotquot menses

Fertur principum memoria.

Vivit Fundatoris nomen, unicae virtutis omen

Detur soli Deo Gloria.

:o

Detur soli Deo Gloria.

Is this supposed to be LATIN boy? Come on THINK.

What case should it be?

Accusative? Dative? Come on, come on boy ....how about ........Genitive perhaps?

Ah....yes Genitive....so its 'puer__'............what?

Yeah only a name

Makes me think of a UK tv show called "The Gnomes of Dulwich"

If Dulwich arent happy,the standards are lax or they are not getting paid!

further info..

Overseas franchises

The College has established three franchise schools and is considering another two.

The principle behind the franchise school programme is that, with no capital investment on the part of the College, it is able to establish an agreement which provides an annual income for the College.£££

Just like a Mac Ds...HAMburger joint but probabally Not any cheaper in LOS.

One of their old Alis...

Anand Panyarachun

Born 1932. School No. 15391. At Dulwich College 1948-1952

et....a wee song to FINI

Detur soli Deo Gloria.

Sorry, pressed the wrong button a minute ago and quoted rumpole.

I'm looking to come to live in Phuket in the near future, and although I've managed to get 4 children through university and earning their own money in Britain (yeah, right), my 12 year old will come with us. I was rather hoping that Dulwich might be a good option. Comments?

David Cook, who had made an "inflammatory, unnecessary report" to DCL, criticizing the decision, finalized last week, to close down the "feeder school" on Koh Samui, and claiming low morale among teachers after they had been required to pay tax on housing and tuition for their children.

Wonder why he make that report!!!

ohuf...

Once in a time.... I think it was 1984/85... Phuket was a beutiful place,the beaches was so clean, just as paradise, the people so friendly......

Once in a time Dulwich was the top S.

Amazing what you can do behind a steering wheel...

Sadman, just keep an eye on what is happening at the school. It is beginning to look as if the powers that be are going to sort their problems out and carry on.

I am having difficulty believing that everything is going to be alright, you know?

Take your time and look around in Phuket, there are alternatives. Good luck with your decision.

Wonder what Shrewsbury and harrow are like?

Should they be any different? Birds of a feather... and all that crap that goes on here in the name of franchised schooling!

Some folks may think that getting a big name franchise is all they need to be assured of success in any business.

If the children were as easy to serve as hamburgers - there shouldn't have been any complaints from the head chef at Dudwich.

Edited by Sphere

Thanks Goldenbead and Aletta.

I'm still in the UK and went along to the excellent Dulwich College to find out what they thought, but they were very tight-lipped and pleaded ignorance.

I'd be keen to know the alternatives in Phuket, but I'm looking to live there permanently, so I want somewhere that will provide an excellent all-round education and make it possible for my son to go on to uni, whether in the UK or elsewhere.

It seems to me that sport is a major part in Phuket education. I hope so, as my son and heir plays rugby and hockey, but most of all he is a very good footballer (he has trials for Charlton next month). He wouldn't want to leave footy behind (shame on him, egg-chasing is the only sport).

Thanks again

From Phuketgazette.com:

He added, however, "We have had problems adjusting to inter-cultural management. The system they use in London... may not work so well at a school half a world away... so we have to modify."

My wife has been a senior teacher at internaional schools in both Thailand and the middle east.

Based on what her experiences have been, in plain talk the above comment would translate roughly as: "We had problems telling the former principal that he was there only for looks, not as a respected desision maker. All major and minor decisons regarding every aspect of the school, including how many tennis balls the kids get to have, are made by the schools director, not the principal. The system they use in London...where the childs needs come before financial need, and letting the principal actual run the school....may not work half a world away...so we have to modify".

Bet on it that the next principal will be a well respected principal from one of your major private schools in the west. Also bet on it he will be told in no uncertain terms that he will not have any real control over the running of the school.

From Phuketgazette.com:

He added, however, "We have had problems adjusting to inter-cultural management. The system they use in London... may not work so well at a school half a world away... so we have to modify."

All major and minor decisons regarding every aspect of the school, including how many tennis balls the kids get to have, are made by the schools director, not the principal.

Unfortunately that's true of the for-profit international schools in Thailand. As for "so we have to modify" -- pencil in "I made agreements and promises, but for financial or ego reasons I don't want to live up to my agreements" -- so I made a few "cultural adjustments."

In this case it's prbabaly about ego and control more than money -- his doesn't want a bunch of farangs questioning his all-encompassing power.

The system they use in London...where the childs needs come before financial need, and letting the principal actual run the school....may not work half a world away...so we have to modify".

This quote says a lot.

I would never let these greedy jackasses educate my kids.

This school is finished as an Institution. Irrespective of whichever figurehead is grafted in, the ownership remains.

Yes, and it is completely on point.

And actually, to take Moog's comments one step further, I don't think I would ever consider raising children here.

Edited by kat

To add insult to injury, Dulwich School is jolly expensive.....for what? ....For nothing !

....and to add even more insult, once kids get a bit older and go back to the West, equipped with an expensive Thai education, they often have to drop back a couple of years in grade. That's not nice for any child.

So, that's my days here numbered. Not that in my present state I could afford International School anyway. .....and I don't want to send the boy to a Thai school.

Edited by The_Moog