Best Video Compressors, Divx, Real Media...

silk123

After just joining the adsl ranks in the last few weeks i notice a big difference between the size of video files.

I've being downloadng Star trek Enterprise where a 40 minute episode is about 85MB and very watchable on the tv. I'm surprised they can compress them to that with that quality. That's in divx format which settings are difficult and for me crashes too much when trying to encode.

I see episodes of seinfeld(22minutes) and southpark compessed to35mb.

Seinfeld is watchable at that but would be better at double that an episode(=ads 512 bps speed)

I don't want to download simpson seasons at 185mb an episode as they are cartoons and are fine at a third or a fifth that size.

wmv and real media are impressive enough for the size.

As I'm limited with a 40 gig laptop I compressed the lovers guide (1 hour ) to 185 mb with winavi real media format along with a few others videos.

The girlfriend likes the lovers guide to positions BTW ;-).

the divx create bundle compresses to 300Mb an hour and is just drag and drop the files.

Anyway what i'll do is when i have downloaded seasons of "dead like me", "nip tuck" s16 simpsons and stuff like that I'll let winavi batch convert them from 380mb an episode to 120mb. very easy do. power video is an all round good converter too. there in my share.

Them enterprise eps at 85mb each are great, i wish the divx bundle had a drag and drop setting like that.

comments?