Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Dirty Pattaya Water

Pattaya_Fox

A Letter taken from this week`s Pattaya Mail.

Editor,

I would like to comment on the City water supply story. I live in Pattaya near Jomtien. Last year I installed a typical PURE 0.3 micron cartridge filter just for drinking water. I previously changed the filter every five to six months because it was getting dirty, but still worked. I now have to change it every three weeks because it is saturated with a slime-like brown substance and is completely blocked. My water tanks have only City fed water supply and are not filled from trucks. I do not believe the official story from the water department. They are now definitely supplying substandard water to residences in Pattaya.

Myke.

The water situation here in Pattaya just gets worse and worse..

The reservoir is now completely dry !!!

So where does the water that ( sometimes ) comes out of the tap come from ???

Its easy to see how dirty it is...just by filling a light colored bucket and leaving it to settle for a while..... :o

It's been suggested that they are supplying treated sewage...if so can't they get it a bit cleaner first ? :D

Another letter from this weeks Pattaya Mail gives a clue where some of the water is going.

I am a farang living in a village off Soi Nernplubwan and for the past 4 weeks we have not had a drop of water. Well I do understand the critical shortage here in Pattaya. However, when areas around us and especially in Jomtien, where I have a few friends living, water is supplied around the clock without any restrictions. Why the bias?

To add insult to injury on the 18th August our neighbourhood received water bills which incidentally were due on the 15th August (ridiculous way of allowing us to pay) which means we couldn’t pay them at 7/11 or likewise outlets and had to drive to the Pattaya waterworks and pay it in person.

As I indicated earlier we have not had a single drop for 4 weeks and it costs us 200 baht to fill the tank each time, which means about every 2 days. Today I took my neighbour (Thai lady) to the waterworks to find out what these bills were for and was told that it was a service fee. But the ridiculous fact is that her bill alone, with all my other Thai neighbours, was for 85 baht while mine amounted to 246.10 baht, and the reason being because my bill was listed in the company name and therefore had to pay 3 times the (normal) amount. This is not such a great problem for me; however, I shall be checking with my solicitor first thing Monday morning.

But the news that probably would be of interest to you is the fact that while we were waiting at the Pattaya Waterworks there were no less than 6 or 7 tankers filling up from the waterworks itself, to sell later. So in fact while they cut off the water to households they were actually selling the water off to these merchants who then sold them for exorbitant prices. Now I wonder who is ripping who off here and I can see that the poor farang is being completely robbed. First of all there is no water being supplied, then he has to pay 3 times the amount of the service fee and secondly has to buy the water that he is entitled to in the first place. I did suggest that if they even gave us 2 hours of water each day that would suffice to get the washing done and have showers and flush the toilets. As for PR (public relations) the lady told my neighbour that if she didn’t want to pay the 85 baht she could return the meter and not worry about a ###### thing!

My concern is if the Thai government wants to encourage farangs to come and live in this country they should at least provide a minimum service that we are more than happy to pay for, but at the same time not rip us off.

I hope this information is of some use to you and that you could use it to inform the community about the situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pattaya Mail.

The water ladies and gentlemen that is coming through some of your taps is actually recycled sewage and is being treated with Sodium Chloride which is apparently causing medical problems to some people.

The amount of Sodium Chloride being used on the sewage is apparently too high.

This information became available after the Deputy Prime Minister visited the Water Treatment Plant in Soi Nong Get Yai yesterday.

No wonder there is green slime in the water.

Did not the Prime Minister recently say that there were no water shortages in the area? :o

I posted a topic in the health section about my water concerns. I have lived in the tropics for the last twenty years and have never suffered from so many skin complaints. I am sure it is the water I bathe in.

When water becomes unsuitable for bathing, then things are bad. Cholera and other water bourne diseases will surely follow.

I would suggest that tap water, is not even suitable for cleaning teeth, even though you don't swallow. Some of the water in my taps, actually stinks of a mixture of rotten eggs; ammonia and rotting flesh.

But what is the alternative? Water tankers that previously sucked out sludge tanks are delivering tap water. Did they steam clean the tanker first.....I doubt it.....we are all doomed. :o

I posted a topic in the health section about my water concerns. I have lived in the tropics for the last twenty years and have never suffered from so many skin complaints. I am sure it is the water I bathe in.

When water becomes unsuitable for bathing, then things are bad. Cholera and other water bourne diseases will surely follow.

I would suggest that tap water, is not even suitable for cleaning teeth, even though you don't swallow. Some of the water in my taps, actually stinks of a mixture of rotten eggs; ammonia and rotting flesh.

But what is the alternative? Water tankers that previously sucked out sludge tanks are delivering tap water. Did they steam clean the tanker first.....I doubt it.....we are all doomed. :o

Definitely DO NOT brush your teeth with tap water.

There are those who do in Pattaya and if they don`t catch a tummy bug or worse then they are lucky.

Even some of the bottled water can be `dodgy` with some water supply companies operating illegally and not up to proper hygene standards.

The consensus on the forum seemed to be (after the recent report of bottled water suppliers being tested) was that Singha Water seems to be the best and in my opinion flows and tastes good as does the beer of the same name. :D

Pattaya Fox, I believe you are mistaken. Sodium Chloride or NaCl is just plain old kitchen salt. I don't think it helps much disinfecting the water. You probably mean some form of chlorine. :o

This information was taken from to-day`s Pattaya City News.

Quote " Although rains have not as yet been forthcoming sewage water is now being recycled by the plant in an attempt to offer some sort of water supply to businesses and homes around Pattaya. However the levels of Sodium Chloride inside the treated water is too high and is causing medical complications especially to domestic users. The East Water Company are ultimately responsible for providing water to Pattaya and have been told by the Deputy Prime Minister to resolve this issue immediately".

Although rains have not as yet been forthcoming sewage water is now being recycled by the plant in an attempt to offer some sort of water supply to businesses and homes around Pattaya.

I mentioned this to my missus this morning and she was disgusted. :D

She was astounded that they could do this without telling the public.

She also said that would explain why her scalp is "kun" only 1 day after a wash. :D

At my company we use a Sri Ratcha based consultant to test and certify the water we use in our business... I may take a sample of Pattaya's water to them and get it tested too. Not just for chlorides, but for organic material as well. The results should be interesting... :o

Pattaya Fox, I believe you are mistaken. Sodium Chloride or NaCl is just plain old kitchen salt. I don't think it helps much disinfecting the water. You probably mean some form of chlorine. :o

Probably sodium hypochlorite, but that is not the full treatment - it is just a neutralising agent for acidic solutions (I think - it's fifty years since my school chemistry lessons)

Although rains have not as yet been forthcoming sewage water is now being recycled by the plant in an attempt to offer some sort of water supply to businesses and homes around Pattaya.

She also said that would explain why her scalp is "kun" only 1 day after a wash. :D

At my company we use a Sri Ratcha based consultant to test and certify the water we use in our business... I may take a sample of Pattaya's water to them and get it tested too. Not just for chlorides, but for organic material as well. The results should be interesting... :o

Testing should be done as sson as possible, so that biological contamination is not introduced from external sources.

Arrange the sampling one morning, to be picked up immediately by your independent tester, ensure he tests the biological part that same morning.

Sealed, inert containers, pre=cleansed.

I would be very interested in knowing how the test comes out. :D

Today I got a call from a good friend, I was told they wont be makeing to BKK and most likely will skip work monday. Seems they are sic, they have a "cold" that seems to have spread through the family. :D

Not only that but it also seems they have given the "Cold" to the neighbors as well.