At Least No One Was Murdered This Time

sriracha john

Perhaps "Father Of The Decade" candidate, Chalerm, HAS taught his boys something... This time around, a pub fight didn't result in someone dying:

Published on August 27, 2005

Former politician Chalerm Yoobamrung will take his son Wan to Makkasan police station today to answer allegations that he assaulted a male model in a pub brawl on Thursday night, a senior police officer said yesterday.

Pol Maj-General Pramote Pathumwong said Chalerm told him Wan was still suffering from injuries he received in the fight, which happened at the Route 66 Pub on Royal City Avenue.

Wan allegedly entered the venue despite a parole condition barring him from entering night-entertainment establishments.

Kittiphong Kittayarak, director-general of the Department of Probation, said the parole condition was in force until next March.

He said it was up to the presiding judge to decide if Wan would be punished for violating his parole.

He was prohibited from entering night-entertainment venues as part of a one-month suspended jail term he received for possession of firearms. The order was part of a March 2004 court verdict in which his younger brother, Duang, was acquitted of murdering a decorated police officer at the Twenty Pub in October 2001.

Worraphong Upparirat, director of the Criminal Court’s parole office, said he was investigating the incident at the Route 66 Pub and studying video-surveillance footage to decide if Wan violated his parole.

Pramote said three complaints were lodged on the night in question.

The first and second complaints were from Simon Harris, who said he was assaulted by an unidentified man and then allegedly assaulted by a man he identified as Wan.

A third complaint was lodged by a number of Route 66 customers who said Harris attacked them.

Wan reportedly promised to issue a counter-complaint accusing Harris of assaulting him, but he has not yet taken any official action against the model.

City police chief Lt-General Pansiri Praphawat said investigators would proceed with the case in a fair and transparent manner.

They have already questioned eight people who witnessed the incident and will question more a later date, he said.

Edited by sriracha john

I posted on this a couple of days ago but it was deleted for some reason.

This case is a little different as it involves farangs. Allegedly Wanchalerm (for an unknown reason) took a dislike to Simon and slapped him a few times around the face. There was no reaction from him - he apparently knew who the attacker was, but several of his farang friends bottled him. Bodyguards joined in and there was a brawl. Hopefully this time witnesses won't be "shy" about saying what they saw. Simon got it right when he said to police "I don't think I want to make this into a big problem, if he can kill people and nothing happens then nothing will happen now" and "look at the CCTV, unless it's faulty again" or words to those effects as reported on the Thai news.

The key thing is, if the incident took plate OUTSIDE of the pub then Wanchelerm has not broken his court order. If inside the pub it has to be proven - always the hard part when tea money and fear play big roles. Hopefully it was inside the pub and the CCTV was clear, with several witnesses giving the full and true account. Then the correct result may be given for once. I think the top brass will be looking closely at this one after several embarrassments in the past.

I posted on this a couple of days ago but it was deleted for some reason.

This case is a little different as it involves farangs.  Allegedly Wanchalerm (for an unknown reason) took a dislike to Simon and slapped him a few times around the face.  There was no reaction from him - he apparently knew who the attacker was, but several of his farang friends bottled him.  Bodyguards joined in and there was a brawl.  Hopefully this time witnesses won't be "shy" about saying what they saw.  Simon got it right when he said to police "I don't think I want to make this into a big problem, if he can kill people and nothing happens then nothing will happen now" and "look at the CCTV, unless it's faulty again" or words to those effects as reported on the Thai news.

The key thing is, if the incident took plate OUTSIDE of the pub then Wanchelerm has not broken his court order.  If inside the pub it has to be proven - always the hard part when tea money and fear play big roles.  Hopefully it was inside the pub and the CCTV was clear, with several witnesses giving the full and true account.  Then the correct result may be given for once.  I think the top brass will be looking closely at this one after several embarrassments in the past.

It should have been in the news section since yesterday.I don't know why George hasn't put it there, does he live on the Thonburi side of the Jao Praya river?

I read that Simon, who knew Wanchalerm, met him by chance in the toilets and said,'Liverpool aren't doing so well', Wanchalerm replied 'never mind' and that was it until one of Wanchalerm's bodyguards later on came straight up to him and slapped him about. Simon then went up to Wanchalerm and asked him why, the reply was,'Why can't I slap you if I want to?' and Wanchalerm then proceeded to slap Simon.

One of Simon's mates, who hadn't been in Thailand long and didn't know who Wanchalerm was, rushed to Simon's defence, hurling a glass in Wanchalerm's face, his injuries required 6 stitches.

Perhaps he was miffed that Liverpool have trouble scoring without Michael Owen.

Who ever simon and his mates are should be booking their tickets homeward bound now....

I bet Wan wouldn't be so hard in any English town on a Friday night....

cum on if you're hard enuff !!!!!

I don't think Simon and his mates have much at risk. I can't see his father's troupe trying to intimidate these guys - it's an old trick and I don't think he can get away with what he did a few years ago again. His father has called in all his favours I hope and I can see it going legal only. I just hope they stand up to them as they did on the night. There are thousands of Thais and ex-pats who would love to shake Simon's friend's hand, including me.

And yes, I'd like to see these guys trying to act like this out of their own country where wealth/occupation/family name don't help. Having bodyguards or chumps is plain laughable.

Wan claims he is victim in pub fight

Published on August 28, 2005

Politician Chalerm Yoobamrung’s son was yesterday charged with assault arising from a pub incident but denied he was involved and claimed did not know the alleged victim. Wan Yoobamrung arrived at Makkasan Police Station early yesterday afternoon on his own after complaints were laid by a male model, Simon Harris, that the former police officer had assaulted him in the Route 66 Pub in Royal City Avenue on Thursday night.

Instead, Wan accused Harris, 25, and his friends of hitting him, saying a wound to his head had needed six stitches. He alleged Harris was fighting with one of his friends and he had tried to break it up.

What a good-hearted Samaritan... :o

After being charged, Wan left the police station and went to a hospital for a physical check up. It was not know if he was required to post bail.

Wan told reporters outside the station that he was the victim in this case and denied knowing Harris. “For the past 10 years I don’t know what has happened to my life,” he complained.

“I didn’t want it [Thursday’s incident] to happen. But I was taking action to prevent things happening.

“I happened to try to stop him [Harris] from getting hurt. I assure you I do not know the actor/model.”

Wan said he had placed the matter in the hands of his lawyer to take action as he was the one who was assaulted by Harris and his friends.

“As to why I had to go to the pub, I am going to make a statement to the police,” he said.

On this morning TV news, he said he went in to the pub only after a fight had already started between Simon and a younger friend of Wan.

Wan, who is forbidden from entering any pub by a court order, said he had gone to the pub purely for personal reasons, not for a drink. “I deny all charges,” he repeated.

Police Colonel Sinmanoo Phuthikul said the investigation into the incident would take about a month as he had to interrogate several witnesses.

Let the wrist-slapping for a repeat, convicted criminal begin.... :o

Alas, there is a glimmer of hope for a proper sentence based on the other charge of the fighting itself might occur.... but I'm not one to hold my breath. :D

WAN: Court adds year to pub ban order

Published on Aug 30 , 2005

The Criminal Court yesterday extended the ban on Wan Yoobamrung (formerly known as Wancha-lerm) from entering drinking establishments for an extra year after finding that he violated his current two-year ban last week.

Wan, the son of former MP Chalerm Yoobamrung, is now barred from entering pubs until March 26, 2007, after the court found that he violated the earlier ban by visiting Route 66 Pub on Royal City Avenue.

The court also ordered that he carry out 48 hours of community service.

The court said it would not impose a jail term for probation violation after taking into account the suspect's claim that he went to the pub to pay a bill for his friends, that he displayed good behaviour during his probation and that this was his only violation.

Yesterday's trial was postponed from 1.30pm to 3.30pm because the probation office required more time to submit a fact-finding report to the court.

Meanwhile, Chalerm was due to attend a trial of his own yesterday to hear charges in a libel suit filed against him by public prosecutors, but he requested a postponement because it was scheduled at the same time as his son's trial.

Wan's fall from grace made headlines after actor and model Simon Harris, 25, filed a complaint with police that Wan and his friends beat him inside the pub on the night of August 24.

Wan filed a similar complaint with police, accusing Harris and his friends of hitting him in the head while he tried to break up an argument between Harris and his friend.

Yesterday's trial was concerned only with the probation violation, police said, and investigations were afoot into the alleged pub fight.

They said it would take a month to gather evidence and interview witnesses.

Edited by sriracha john

I had 6 guys on me in front of ROUTE 66 a few months ago. By the time my friend left to buy some cigarettes (I was with only 1 friend that night, whom had just come back from Germany that same fukcing night), they came all in matter of seconds and just attacked me. I wish I had gone to the cops and complained of these bastards attacking me. Answer = Drunk teens picking fights. It was right in front of that Route 66. I never go there again with less than 5 friends now. Haha.

Update:

Wan gets to choose his community service work

Published on September 07, 2005

Wan Yoobumrung, a son of veteran politician Chalerm Yubamrung, may teach sports to students or help provide care to hospital patients as part of his court-mandated community service.

On August 30, the Criminal Court extended the ban on Wan Yoobamrung (formerly known as Wanchalerm) from entering drinking establishments for an extra year after finding that he had violated his earlier two-year ban by visiting the Route 66 Pub on Royal City Avenue the week before. Wan is now barred from entering pubs until March 26, 2007.

The court also ordered that he carry out 48 hours of community service.

The director of the Criminal Court’s Probation Office, Worapong Uparirat, said yesterday that Wan would have to report to his office today to discuss what he would do for community service and the schedule he would follow.

Although Wan could be ordered to perform any type of community service, the office would listen to Wan’s personal preferences in order to avoid a stressful atmosphere, Worapong said. :D

If Wan had to be forced to perform a specific task, this would result in no benefits for the agency or the persons at the receiving end.

but maybe... just maybe... it might prove instrumental in showing Wan the error of his ways.

However, the office has set a condition that Wan should do group work for at least 12 to 18 hours – such as teaching sports to young students or helping look after hospital patients, Worapong said.

The idea was that he would learn to work with others and adjust to society.

hmmm... good luck :o

Aside from the issue of getting visas for someone with his record, what do you think would happen to him in a country where law and order actually applied when he decided to have one of his little "tiffs?"

No, his dad's probably right to keep him where people can be bought off. But you can't buy off the whole country, and this is one area where karma will definitely pay off eventually- one hopes before anyone else has to die.

"Steven"

• 2 weeks later...

Update

PAROLE VIOLATION

Published on September 16, 2005

Wan Yoobamrung to perform public service at Nonthaburi temple

Wan Yoobamrung has chosen to serve half of his 48 hours of public service work at Wat Suan Kaew, the temple of well-known abbot Phra Phayom Kalayano, according to Kittiphong Kitta-yarak, head of the Corrections Department. Wan was sentenced to the stint of public service for violating the terms of his parole.

He will be required to listen to sermons by the abbot aimed at motivating a behavioural adjustment.

-------------------------------------------

Not sure how attending temple sermons can really be construed as community service... but I suppose just removing him from society for those few hours DOES benefit the community.

Very cordial of the courts to allow a criminal offender to CHOOSE their place and type of punishment.

:o