Soi Dogs !

NedKelly

In my soi there are quite a few dogs that just hang around and get fed by locals. They sleep all day and at night often bark and carry on right outside my house. If not barking it's fighting or shagging or playing with a plastic bottle ....it echoes between the houses and at 2 or 3 am is a right pain in the butt.

I have had some truly evil thoughts about them like putting out baits or kidnapping them and letting them out in Ayuthaya ...haha. But seriously what is the best way to try and rid the soi of them. i know the locals will not be happy to see them go as to some extent they are good for security.......but it gets a bit much when one tries to bite me right at my own gate.

Anyone else made them dissapear ?? (dont get me wrong I like dogs but these ones run amok like a wild band of wolves and it is also dangerous for the kids)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spaying and neutering them would go far in reducing barking, fighting and aggressive territorialism. Maybe you could talk your neighbors into chipping in and getting a vet in to sterilize them. Also, if you are in bangkok the BMA has a program sterilizing stray dogs. BMA

I've tried poisoning, they just puke and go on. I took to using steel ball bearings and a sling shot, one with surgical rubber tubing. Did the trick. Oil and gas in a wine bottle, stuff a rag in, light and drop on dog. Worked in the 1917 communist revolution in Russia.

Rat poison in some ground meat is supposed to work,and nuttin the boys will not do it as they still gonna bark and raise ###### all nite,moving or killing them is the only way,,When in Chiang Mai,I finally had to rent another place and move and there is where I heard of the rat poison as we had no street dogs in that compound.

We do have some noisy dogs here and most of the males and some females have been spayed but the spaying only stops more pups ,not the noise that the existing dogs make,we do have a few noisy ones but they belong to my in laws,but I still gonna check on the rat poison.

But seriously what is the best way to try and rid the soi of them. i know the locals will not be happy to see them go as to some extent they are good for security.......but it gets a bit much when one tries to bite me right at my own gate.

Anyone else made them dissapear ?? (dont get me wrong I like dogs but these ones run amok like a wild band of wolves and it is also dangerous for the kids)

i have an infallible method that always works .

first you feed them some nice dogs dinners every night regularly , good feeds to gain their confidance. they really love so much .

then when they are all tucking in and occupied throw into their midst one or 2 of those really loud thunderflash fireworks !

You know the big ones that sound like ###### !

The noise terrifies them so much they head for the other side of town and really are petrified of the area where this hellish noise arived in their midst.

they never come back , i guarantee this works . :o

I actually like the Soi dogs near my apartment. They all sleep in the carpark, and keep an eye over the cars. During the day they all seem to go away and fight and sleep.

If you really need to get rid of them, order some 10/80-20 over the internet from an Australian rural supplies place. Its the Dingo and wild dog bait :D .That stuff is very attractive to dogs, and kills them very quickly. You must make sure you don't leave any around after your efforts, if a child or a small adult eats the stuff, it will kill them as well. :o

Estrella;

I hope the suggestion to kill or poison them, that were given by somebody above, were not serious
I just gave information, my opinion I also gave when I said.....
I actually like the Soi dogs near my apartment. They all sleep in the carpark, and keep an eye over the cars.

Maverick; Quote;Surely illegal to poison animals in Thailand and if not it should be.

You must be a Buddhist Kevin

No I am not a Buddhist,I am atheist,,It is the buda's that own em and let em run and annoy everyone,and they are the ones that dump em at the WAT for the monks to contend with, My dog is inside of my chain link fence that was built to keep my dog from harassing the neighborhood.My wife is a buda ,and she believes that our dog should be allowed to run with the other dogs,cause she would be happier running free.

You see,it is the atheists that have consideration for ones neighbors.

I was just about to sign a contract for a nice house,when I went down to check the area out at night,the neigbour's dog almost took the gate off trying to get me,needless to say I canceled the next day.

They are a bloody pest,and just about everybody I know who lives here says the same.

Its quite depressing to think that one's fellow expats are comprised mainly of rednecks celebrating the variety of poisons available with which to kill animals. Spose your wearing your singlets, belching into your Heinekein and asking in a very loud voice 'do you speak English' when querying your TT at Bangkok Bank. Go home and kill your own animals!

Try this: Have a double shot of whiskey with a whiskey chaser before you go to bed. The dogs won't bother you.

You have to remember that, like your entire experience here in Thailand, just because you see things one way doesn't mean the Thais have to. And in the case that you don't see eye to eye with them it's foolish of you to presume that they are in some way deficient morally or intellectually. They do things differently.

I can guarantee you this: if those dogs start dying mysteriously or disappearing YOU are the first person they suspect.

Did you come here on a mission to 'civilize" the Thais? You really should move home.

Thanks for all those posts guys.....except the last one...dkstoney.... chill out mate you'll get a hernia !! I have spoken to the locals in the soi...they all hate the dogs but are all afraid to do anything infear of upsetting the balance if you know what I mean. DK...this means that the Thais inmy soi are afraid because of what might happen if they have them removed.....now I think you should not be so presumtuous in future.

######....I am cancelling my trip to your BBQ......gees.....chuck another dog on the barbie would ya !!

Estrella.....I know what u mean.....I once sat at a table with some Singapore buddhists at the cafe up Penang Hill.......a mosquito came by my face and i snapped at it.......the family jumped in their seats.........the look on their face said it all.......I knew then that they were horrified that I might take a life !!

Well I should go and change out of my blue singlet now, polish the ute and clean my new white shoes and then put some sunburn cream on my red neck.......I've got cane toads to crush !!

Ned, just a word of advice, before you think about getting rid of all of them, remember they will only be replaced by new possibly worse ones! You could talk with a few of your neighbors, pick out the nicest, quietest ones, have them sterilized, vaccinated etc. Make it a soi project as it were. These healthy, well-fed happy ones will definitely keep the strays out, all dogs are territorial and they will protect their territory from new ones moving in. Then, drug (but not kill) the rest, sterilize them and take them to that dog shelter the BMA runs, they will take them.

You won't feel like a murderer, your neighbors won't feel awful killing them either, and maybe you can have some peace.

Guest IT Manager
Try this: Have a double shot of whiskey with a whiskey chaser before you go to bed. The dogs won't bother you.

You have to remember that, like your entire experience here in Thailand, just because you see things one way doesn't mean the Thais have to. And in the case that you don't see eye to eye with them it's foolish of you to presume that they are in some way deficient morally or intellectually. They do things differently.

I can guarantee you this: if those dogs start dying mysteriously or disappearing YOU are the first person they suspect.

Did you come here on a mission to 'civilize" the Thais? You really should move home.

Hi dkstoney. I agree with whoever said chill out.

It's ok to put your sixpence-worth in old son, but better not to take everything too seriously.

Speak to mrentoul. He seems to be coming around a bit.

Hey

Chicken is cheap at the moment, get some rat poison pellets. You must cut the meat (slice) then insert about 4 pellets for a small to meadium dog. Remember that when the dogs dies the others will eat it so the more pellets the more effective this method is. I was told by a Farang. It works, 1 week and the whole pack will of dissappeared.

Stray, noisy dogs can be destroyed in a safe and humane way.

Befriend them, then feed them a fentanyl lollipop.

Full details on the web about fentanyl lollipops.

Dogs brain chemistry is different to that of humans and respiritory failure quickly occurs after ingestion of a fentanyl lollipop.

P.S. Child like candy lollipops don't work.

Thank you and good night.

S.B.

Hmm!!!

Soi Dogs when I first moved into this neighborhood, it was challenge to go outside my home because of them. Chasing my motorcycle trying to bite me a I walked down the street. The Thias seemed to be enjoying the show as I'm the only farrang in the area. I finally had enough and everytime they would come at me I would challenge them and chase them with the bike. The ones that had owners I would say something to, I doubt that any of them are strays as all the dogs in the nieghborhood live on the street.

Seven month later I can walk my street in peace. and the darn things are protective of my house. Quiet nights in Thailand, maybe in the country area, but that doesn't eem to be the situation in the urban areas. Even in the farrang area that I lived in before, we had barking dogs not as much a here, but we also had a bar three blocks way that kept us entertained to the wee hours. You might try a large fan in the bedroom that will provide a steady noise and seems to drown out most of the outside noise. Worked for me and nothing dies the neighbor don't hate you. Just a thought

erco - or should that be berk-o................if a farang says it works it must be true..........er..........no actually as most of these posts prove - farangs in LOS are mostly not very bright and Thailand appeals to them as they immediatly rise up the social scale on arrival (in their own country they are considered on a par with the Klu Klux Clan and the like). Dont be fooled!

As Basil Fawlty said 'this is exactly how Nazi Germany started'.

Having said the above some of these posts are hilarious (love the python contribution). :o