Belgian Guy Arrested And To Be Deported

Prakanong2005

I saw this posted and wondered about an extradition treaty between Thailand and Belgium as mentioned. The reason is I thought there was not one as the Belgian accused of murdering his Ex in Phuket did a runner on bail and will not be sent back - they even organise benefits to help pay the money for the bail in Belgium.

It may be of course because he could face the death penalty so Belgium will not extradite - the UK is the same but if the country in question says it will apply a life sentence the UK will

I doubt Belgium would given the Turkish terrorist that hopped on a bus last week to escape a jail sentence

"Belgian Man Arrested on Fraud Charges

Mr Ortwin Waignein, a 51-year-old Belgian national, was arrested by Pattaya police at the Pinewood Residence on Second Road and taken to the Immigration jail centre in Bangkok prior to being deported to Belgium.

Police had received information from Belgian authorities that the man was wanted in Belgium on fraud and embezzlement charges. Although he had done nothing illegal in Thailand, Thai authorities acted on the information in compliance with the extradition treaty existing between Thailand and Belgium.

Mr Waignein has now been placed on a black list and will be refused entry to Thailand until further notice."

I saw this posted and wondered about an extradition treaty between Thailand and Belgium as mentioned. The reason is I thought there was not one as the Belgian accused of murdering his Ex in Phuket did a runner on bail and will not be sent back - they even organise benefits to help pay the money for the bail in Belgium.

"Police had received information from Belgian authorities that the man was wanted in Belgium on fraud and embezzlement charges. Although he had done nothing illegal in Thailand, Thai authorities acted on the information in compliance with the extradition treaty existing between Thailand and Belgium.

Mr Waignein has now been placed on a black list and will be refused entry to Thailand until further notice."

I believe you are correct. Most countries that don't have the Death Penalty, but do have extradition treaties, won't extradite people if they face the death penalty. I should probably clarify that further by saying "most Western countries".

Belgium won't send the guy who murdered his g/f to Thailand, where he'd face the death penalty, but Thailand will send the embezzler back to Belgium.

Similar thing in Canada. They wouldn't extradite Rakesh Saxena (originally) because he faced a possible death sentence in Thailand. I guess Thailand has agreed to not push for the death penalty in his case, so now Canada is working on deporting his lying, theiving butt.

Made me shake my head a few years ago. Canada doesn't have the death penalty, and won't extradite people that may face that penalty in another country.

Yet when a Thai man was found guilty of murdering a female Canadian tourist (in Thailand) and sentenced to death, the Canadian ambassador fully supported the decision. :D

If the Thai guy had of been a little smarter, he could have hopped onto a flight to Canada, thrown away his passport and ID, claimed refugee status or political asylum, and lived in Canada secure in the knowledge he'd never be sent back to Thailand. :o

17_03_2_3.gif

Nothing shifty-looking about this alledged fraudster.... :o

Why go pattaya when your a crook on the run????I dont understand

Whats wrong with a country that doesn't have an extradtion treaty with yours???

Eg.Northern cyprus,columbia, Venezuela.ect.ect...

Surely,only stupid villians try and escape to pattaya(where they even have their own branch of interpol)..

What an idiot!

The Saxena case is a good one to discuss

Is he not trying to avoid extradition now on the grounds that Thai Prisons do not conform to the Human Rights Treaty or something.

There was another guy on remand in London for the same sort of offence a few years ago, Thai and related to 97 crash.

If I remember correctly they had government ministers fly to London and complain that the British prison syustem was inhumane as he had to share a cell - TIT

This was the same government who sent a delegation to Middlesborough FC to plead that Bryan Robson sign the Thai Captain who was on trial there as "It would be an honour for Thailand for a Thai to play in the Premiership"

Robson said if he was good enough he would play - he wasn't and he didn't

Transferred to Hudersfield and did not perform except to come out with more excuses per week than anybody else in the world as to why he was <deleted>.

Still he was getting 1000GBP a week which at the time was 60,000THB I think for it and free food from a local Thai restaurant (that was one of his excuses - the food)

Is he not trying to avoid extradition now on the grounds that Thai Prisons do not conform to the Human Rights Treaty or something.

I imagine he's going to come up with any number of excuses to avoid being extradited. The sad part is, it's being financed with the money he embezzled from Thailand.

The other sad part is, every time his high-priced lawyers come up with something like this, it causes another huge delay in the proceedings.

For example, filing an appeal on the grounds that Thai prisons are not "humane" enough would result in the extradition proceedings being delayed while the courts determine if his appeal is valid.

If his appeal is turned down, he will find some new reason to launch another appeal and it will start all over again.

This has already been going on for what, 9 years now ? Sad, and embarrassing.

I imagine he's going to come up with any number of excuses to avoid being extradited. The sad part is, it's being financed with the money he embezzled from Thailand.

The other sad part is, every time his high-priced lawyers come up with something like this, it causes another huge delay in the proceedings.

For example, filing an appeal on the grounds that Thai prisons are not "humane" enough would result in the extradition proceedings being delayed while the courts determine if his appeal is valid.

If his appeal is turned down, he will find some new reason to launch another appeal and it will start all over again.

This has already been going on for what, 9 years now ? Sad, and embarrassing.

At least he's been removed from his luxury penthouse suite "cell" and placed in a real jail after losing his latest appeal... so with some glimmer of hope, it will be resolved within our lifetime.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=669116

Saxena is a black goat, he is accused of steeling money but he was only the adviser and the real gangsters behind the theft, causing collaps of the bank and the whole country, they will be sure as they are fighting hard to get him sent back to them so he can be shot in the back trying to escape. :o

Saxena is a black goat, he is accused of steeling money but he was only the adviser and the real gangsters behind the theft, causing collaps of the bank and the whole country, they will be sure as they are fighting hard to get him sent back to them so he can be shot in the back trying to escape. :o

Seriously ? You believe that ?

Yes, Saxeena was the personal adviser to the president of the Bangkok Bank. Saxena is also the one who set up numerous shell companies, to which the bank granted huge loans with no collateral.

The money lent to those companies was then transferred to Saxena's accounts, in the order of hundreds of millions of dollars.

That is what led to the collapse of that bank, and the subsequent finanacial crisis that swept through SE Asia.

After fleeing to Canada, Saxena has been investigated for his involvement in a number of shady schemes.

One of them involved bilking investors out of millions of dollars. Saxena's crew would purchase worthless companies at pennies per share, then hype up those companies to potential investors, selling them "incredible opportunities" at mere dollars per share.

In court he claimed to have nothing to do with it of course. It was just his money (embezzled from Thailand) that financed the whole affair.

Saxena was also involved with a company called Diamond Works (obviously a diamond exploration company, listed on the Vancouver Stock Exchange). Diamond Works had shadowy ties to another company known as "Sandline International". Sandline controlled a subsidiary company known as "Executive Outcomes" (basically a mercenary group made up of former South African military personnel).

One of Sandline's most notable ventures was a deal they reached with the government of Sierra Leone (at the time). In exchange for Executive Outcome's military personnel (mercenaries) and equipment, the government agreed to give valuable diamond concessions to.............Diamond Works of course !

(I found this out years ago, after I had invested in Diamond Works. Made a little money off the deal, nothing to write home about as I didn't have that much invested, couple of thousand at the most)

In February 1998 Saxena was put on bail of $2.5 million because he was regarded as a flight risk. British Columbia Supreme Court overturned this ruling in June 24 1998 and allowed him to resist extradition living in his $500.000 house in Vancouver, under his own guards in an effective house arrest at his own expense.

Yep, real model citizen. Living the good life off the money he stole (embezzled) from Thailand, in his hi-rise penthouse in Canada, working on fleecing more people from various countries out of their money.

What will happen to him if he is returned to Thailand ? I would think that Thailand would want to keep him alive until his trial is over. Then, assuming he is found guilty, they could go after his assets worldwide.

Once that is done, then what ever happens to him won't matter much. Probably a "suicide" in his cell while waiting for his trial. :D

• 2 years later...

you have no Idea what you are talking about. Believe me he is the mastermind.

Seriously ? You believe that ?

Yes, Saxeena was the personal adviser to the president of the Bangkok Bank. Saxena is also the one who set up numerous shell companies, to which the bank granted huge loans with no collateral.

The money lent to those companies was then transferred to Saxena's accounts, in the order of hundreds of millions of dollars.

That is what led to the collapse of that bank, and the subsequent finanacial crisis that swept through SE Asia.

After fleeing to Canada, Saxena has been investigated for his involvement in a number of shady schemes.

One of them involved bilking investors out of millions of dollars. Saxena's crew would purchase worthless companies at pennies per share, then hype up those companies to potential investors, selling them "incredible opportunities" at mere dollars per share.

In court he claimed to have nothing to do with it of course. It was just his money (embezzled from Thailand) that financed the whole affair.

Saxena was also involved with a company called Diamond Works (obviously a diamond exploration company, listed on the Vancouver Stock Exchange). Diamond Works had shadowy ties to another company known as "Sandline International". Sandline controlled a subsidiary company known as "Executive Outcomes" (basically a mercenary group made up of former South African military personnel).

One of Sandline's most notable ventures was a deal they reached with the government of Sierra Leone (at the time). In exchange for Executive Outcome's military personnel (mercenaries) and equipment, the government agreed to give valuable diamond concessions to.............Diamond Works of course !

(I found this out years ago, after I had invested in Diamond Works. Made a little money off the deal, nothing to write home about as I didn't have that much invested, couple of thousand at the most)

In February 1998 Saxena was put on bail of $2.5 million because he was regarded as a flight risk. British Columbia Supreme Court overturned this ruling in June 24 1998 and allowed him to resist extradition living in his $500.000 house in Vancouver, under his own guards in an effective house arrest at his own expense.

Yep, real model citizen. Living the good life off the money he stole (embezzled) from Thailand, in his hi-rise penthouse in Canada, working on fleecing more people from various countries out of their money.

What will happen to him if he is returned to Thailand ? I would think that Thailand would want to keep him alive until his trial is over. Then, assuming he is found guilty, they could go after his assets worldwide.

Once that is done, then what ever happens to him won't matter much. Probably a "suicide" in his cell while waiting for his trial. :D

If only you guys new the real truth. I was part of the whole mess and it cost me dearly...nearly my life...

If only you guys new the real truth. I was part of the whole mess and it cost me dearly...nearly my life...

Despite this thread being almost 3 years old now, there is a another thread with recent updates regarding Saxena in the Thailand News Clippings forum: Canada Rules To Extradite Rakesh Saxena To Thailand

If you know more about it, perhaps you should contact the Canadian authorities, as it appears he could be allowed to walk free soon. He's been successfully using the Canadian legal system to avoid extradition back to Thailand. Perhaps his success is partially due to the Canadians not knowing the whole story ?

Unless of course you'd prefer to see him waltz away, passport in hand, to continue enjoying the fruits of his crimes wherever in the world he chooses to go ?