The Great Sale?

AliyaS

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Bangkok anyway, and I was wondering if it's worth it to go during the Great Sale that's held every year from June-July?

I don't want to be overwhelmed by the masses of tourists.

Is this really and truly a great sale or just something to lure in the tourists?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Bangkok anyway, and I was wondering if it's worth it to go during the Great Sale that's held every year from June-July?

I don't want to be overwhelmed by the masses of tourists.

Is this really and truly a great sale or just something to lure in the tourists?

Thanks

Im going to be in BKK the same time. I have never even heard of the great sale. What is it??

As a rule, retailers NEVER put merchandise on sale in Thailand, at least not in any sense that is at all significant.

If you thinking of something like the major sales traditionally held during certain seasons in London or New York, you can forget it. On the whole, retailers approach consumers here with the attitude that you are privileged to buy from them in the first place and that their relative status is far superior to yours so why would they do anything at all to induce you to buy?

I've give you one illustration of a retailers attitude here that is, in my expereience, absolutely typical. There is a very prominent bakery here that sells mostly to foreigners and labels its day-old stuff with a huge sign saying, "Day Old - Big Sale - 5% off!" That will pretty much give you the idea.

I've seen signs for the "Amazing Thailand Sale" before, never found much of a deal in the stores tho.

Now, I'd kill to be able to go to Barney's annual sale :o

Ok, wow how disapointing!

Well, I guess I got overly excited over nothing!

Would you say it's better to go a week in advance of the "Great sale" to avoid all the shopping tourists and have plenty of products to pic from or should I just go during the first week of The great sale anyway. Is that better than no sale at all?

I just need to go before mid-june.

Thanks a bunch!

As a rule, retailers NEVER put merchandise on sale in Thailand, at least not in any sense that is at all significant.

If you thinking of something like the major sales traditionally held during certain seasons in London or New York, you can forget it. On the whole, retailers approach consumers here with the attitude that you are privileged to buy from them in the first place and that their relative status is far superior to yours so why would they do anything at all to induce you to buy?

This simply is not true, but what can you expect from a male anyway? :o The best time to go discount shopping in malls is around Chinese New Year. I bought heaps of clothes from Jaspal at 80% off the marked prices. The way that the store was packed with girls pulling clothes in all different directions was incredible. It was clothes, clothes and more clothes for me.

If you want to go shopping around July, the Hong Kong Shopping Festival is the main promo in Asia at this time of year. Malaysia holds their Shopping Carnival in March/April. Dubai's is in January.

Have fun!

No it's not true - especially regarding things women like shopping for (clothes, shoes, bags, etc). There are great sales on regularly and I've got lots of things 70-80% off. Check out the Central Department Store website and see if they have any promotions on (most of the time).

The best ones are when you spend a certain amount you get to draw a coupong for discounts anywhere between 10-50%. Once I bought a suit at The Mall and the shop assistant told me to pay for the skirt first (which was cheaper) then go and do the lucky dip for the coupon and come back and buy the jacket - ended up getting 30% off a jacket. A friend bought a sofa at Central once and got 8000 baht off the price using a 20% coupon. That's a lot of money.

Okay, so I know it's all marketing and they're just trying to get people to spend more, but if you love shopping then it's a whole lot of fun!! (Note though, that the shop assistants don't always tell you there is a promotion so always ask if you can get coupons).

Come whenever fits in best as The Great Sale won't make any difference to the numbers of people shopping - it's always busy everywhere. It's a good idea to try to get there when the mall opens when there's not many people around (for a short time at least).

Have fun shopping!!

Edited by sylvafern