Travelling On Domestic Flights Without A Passport - Possible Or Not?

Jingjok

A quick question - I have to go to Bangkok from Phuket tomorrow, on Thai, using an on-line e-ticket.

But my passport is urgently needed by my accountant for some daft official purpose or other.

Has any foreigner on here ever travelled on a Thai domestic flight without their passport? Can it be done? I do have a signed copy, and likewse copies of my current Non-Imm B and entry stamp.

Passport is not necessary, but you need a photo ID (for example a Thai drivers license) for the security check at the airport.

I don't think airport security will accept a passport copy, but i could be wrong here.

Thanks, George, this sounds hopeful.

The only ID's I have with a mugshot are a Bangkok Bank ATM card, and my UK Explosives Institute ID/security card. I don't want to get the latter out at a provincial airport...

I'll go with the ATM card and see what happens.

A quick question - I have to go to Bangkok from Phuket tomorrow, on Thai, using an on-line e-ticket.
Theoretically, you should not be allowed to board at Phuket without your passport, because Bangkok is an international airport and theoretically you would be able to transfer at Bangkok airport to an international flight without passing Thai Immigration again.

I can imagine, though, that Thais are allowed to board domestic flights to Bangkok – and other Thai international airports – with their Thai ID cards only.

---------------

Maestro

Used my brand new 5 year Thai driving license on last 2 r/t domestic flights from Bangkok > Chiang Mai with Nok Air and No Problem...that will do nicely sir...etc.

Had my PP in my back pocket just in case.... :o

Theoretically, you should not be allowed to board at Phuket without your passport, because Bangkok is an international airport and theoretically you would be able to transfer at Bangkok airport to an international flight without passing Thai Immigration again.

I can imagine, though, that Thais are allowed to board domestic flights to Bangkok – and other Thai international airports – with their Thai ID cards only.

---------------

Maestro

Bangkok Don Muang have both international and national terminals. Flights from Phuket land in the national termainal and you have to check through immigration to fly international (unless it has changed since last I was there).

Bangkok Don Muang have both international and national terminals. Flights from Phuket land in the national termainal and you have to check through immigration to fly international
You’re right. I forgot about that.

---------------

Maestro

Passport is not necessary, but you need a photo ID (for example a Thai drivers license) for the security check at the airport.

I don't think airport security will accept a passport copy, but i could be wrong here.

And i thought legaly you are required to be in possesion of your passport at all times. (As a foreigner). :o

And i thought legaly you are required to be in possesion of your passport at all times. (As a foreigner). :o

Yes, I was under the impression that one had to have their passport w/visa on hand at all times. So while one might not need it to check in and board a domestic flight, it still might adviseable to have your passport w/visa in your possession when traveling domestically.

Yes, last person I know stopped for not having one on him was held until girl friend got it from home. Only one hour, but still fined 1,000 baht.

Many thanks for all the views and advice.

Just for the record (and to advise others caught without their passport) I did get through without any hassle at all.

I made sure I travelled business class and was dressed smartly; I checked in with my UK work security card - which is a plastic laminated thing with my photo, then presented a rather scruffy photocopy of my passport at security.

Nothing was said at either point, either at BKK or HKT.

Maybe I was lucky, maybe it wouldn't work again, maybe no one cares anyway. Who knows?