Passport Needed For Domestic Air Travel?

Florin

Hey there,

I haven't taken a plane within Thailand in longer than I can remember, hence the question...flying BKK-Phuket this week and also have an Australian visa to obtain, so I was thinking of leaving my passport at the embassy and just showing up at the domestic airport terminal with my ticket (also have an ABAC student ID if that counts)...has anyone ever done that?

I really would like an answer based on experience, definitely wouldn't want to get there and be greeted with "CAN-NOT".

Thanks in advance!

Hey there,

I haven't taken a plane within Thailand in longer than I can remember, hence the question...flying BKK-Phuket this week and also have an Australian visa to obtain, so I was thinking of leaving my passport at the embassy and just showing up at the domestic airport terminal with my ticket (also have an ABAC student ID if that counts)...has anyone ever done that?

I really would like an answer based on experience, definitely wouldn't want to get there and be greeted with "CAN-NOT".

Thanks in advance!

In my humble opinion you should always carry your passport with you when travelling along with at least two contact numbers should they be needed in unfortunate circumstances.

Personally i have always been asked for my passport at domestic terminals in Thailand.

It may be that a Thai driving licence is acceptable for domestic purposes, but in any case it doesn,t show any visa info should it be required by the authorities, anywhere any time.

If you plan to check into a hotel you are probably going to need your passport. A year ago can say airlines were checking passports so close that a spelling error could get you grounded on domestic flights (we even had a 2 year old Thai child almost denied boarding at Chiang Mai (return flight) because birth certificate had been amended and first name syllables reversed from original copy). I would not travel outside of home city without passport myself.

OK, got it...thanks for the info, will carry it on my person :o

With the hotel it wouldn't be an issue, because the friend I'm traveling with has his passport, but nevertheless, better safe than sorry.

OK, got it...thanks for the info, will carry it on my person :o

With the hotel it wouldn't be an issue, because the friend I'm traveling with has his passport, but nevertheless, better safe than sorry.

I have found that my Thai Driving licence has been unquestionably accepted by both hotels and airlines within Thailand. Any formal ID with a photo seems to work in my experience.

I have found that my Thai Driving licence has been unquestionably accepted by both hotels and airlines within Thailand. Any formal ID with a photo seems to work in my experience.

That's also my experience, Thai driving licence.

That (DL) may or may not work always as I have had hotels use a special stamp that required the TM.6 card number several times - and they entered it. But I also have a DL that is 36 years old so the photo does not exactly look like my mirror image. :o

Try my solution- and carry a miniature of your Passport in your wallet. You won't remember it's there until you're caught in a pinch. And at that point- why, it'll be priceless! :D In the four or so years it's been in the wallet now, mine has saved me on umpteen occasions. And not once has it been rejected!

Using a high quality color scanner, I tinkered until I got the size down until was the same as credit card. I believe it was 68%. I then folded it, laminated it, and slipped it into the wallet. :o

It's saved me twice at Don Muang, several times at regional hotels, heck, every time I've used it it's gotten me through.

Edited by GoodHeart

Carried out a little experiment at Don Muang on saturday.

Thai domestic flight to Chiang Mai. Check-in lady was quite happy with my (5 year) Thai DL. 'Identity Check' man on the way into the gates politely asked for my passport (DL not ok). No problem PP in my bag, it was way too early in the morning to push things. He examined my visa and TM6, suppose he thought I was trying some sort of scam by using my DL.

Later (yes same day) coming back, both check-in and id-check at the gate were happy with my DL.

Safest to carry your PP.