Problem With My Passport/stamp

I accidentally washed my passport in the washing machine. Today I visited the Immigration department to change my visa to a multi entry one. They wouldn't do it as the stamp and the card (the ones you get when arriving to Thailand) have been washed away. They said I need to get a new passport then come back. A new passport will take 10 days I have been told, so the only option is to get my visa when I'm in London. A pain as I only have 4 days. Then a thought come to my mind that will I be allowed to leave the country without the paper slip and stamp? I have got a visa sticker in my passport that shows I have not overstayed my visit.

Could it get ugly at the airport?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

I accidentally washed my passport in the washing machine. Today I visited the Immigration department to change my visa to a multi entry one. They wouldn't do it as the stamp and the card (the ones you get when arriving to Thailand) have been washed away. They said I need to get a new passport then come back. A new passport will take 10 days I have been told, so the only option is to get my visa when I'm in London. A pain as I only have 4 days. Then a thought come to my mind that will I be allowed to leave the country without the paper slip and stamp? I have got a visa sticker in my passport that shows I have not overstayed my visit.

Could it get ugly at the airport?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

Fortunately I've never been in this position. There's a correct procedure to follow, so if you haven't allready look at TV advice: http://www.thaivisa.com/342.0.html

Good luck

Thanks for the link, but that information if i have lost my passport. Still have my passport are look's ok, apaprt from the missing stamp/paper slip :-)

Hi Listenup,

A damaged passport needs replacing same as a lost one, so I thought that link was appropriate.

It's going to look very suspicious that your entry stamp, and, I assume your arrival/dep' card is missing when you get to the departure gate. I think I'd get a new passport, all stamped correctly. In my opinion "Yes" your'e going to have a problem for sure.

Very best of luck

Geoffphuket

There was the same situation like yours at the NZ immigration, the French guy accidently put his passport in a washer. When he arrived in NZ, he was questioned by police and was refused to go through. He then sadly had to flied back to France.

Edited by Thai-Aust

the burden of proof is on you, hence the new passport.

it will allow both thai & your own country of citizenship to prove your validity as a bona fide tourist then once thats done, they will run a check to see if youre an overstayer & if it appears your damaged passport report date is after your visa end date, well........do i need say more.

with so many passports & other identity documents thrown into the debri after the tsunami so those that want to stage their disappearances could be listed as 'missing', its not surprising the thais want to make sure you havent intentionally tampered with anything or trying some other stunt. :o

Now I'm getting worried.

It really winds me up that they can't just re-issue the stamp, they said they can if i get a new passport but not on my existing one. That is crazy!

If your passport doesn't look too badley damaged they will re stamp it.

If it looks defaced , damaged badley you need a new passport before you can leave.

In same situation I got new passport and then was refused exit , because I forgot to get new stamps in new passport.

Geoff is correct. If you have mutilated your passport (and stamps unreadable/missing would most likely fit that description) your passport will probably be considered invalid. From US passport page 4:

Alternation or mutilation of passport. This passport must not be alerted or mutilated in any way. Alteration may make it INVALID, and, if willful, may subject you to prosecution.......