New Isp Buddy

marquess

I have heard and seen adverts in both Thai and English for this new ISP called Buddy! It seems that they are offering a 1gb connexion speed for 500 Baht per month. Does anyone have any details, and does one actually get what is advertised (I recall them say that the speed was consistant)? I should like a faster and somewhat cheaper alternative to True.[/font]

I have heard and seen adverts in both Thai and English for this new ISP called Buddy! It seems that they are offering a 1gb connexion speed for 500 Baht per month. Does anyone have any details, and does one actually get what is advertised (I recall them say that the speed was consistant)? I should like a faster and somewhat cheaper alternative to True.[/font]

I found: http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=37064

which is dated with Dec. 13 2006 which is amazing

And: http://www.buddybb.net/

Errr, you want GIGABIT broadband for 500 Baht per month :o

The ads are for 1 MEGABIT for 500 Baht, still pretty reasonable if it works, but at that price the contention ratio for overseas links is going to be very high, meaning slow links at peak times :D

I'll stick with my 'slow' 512/256 commercial link which gives me 512 to overseas sites for 80-90% of the time (and it's not packet shaped for p2p) :D

Errr, you want GIGABIT broadband for 500 Baht per month :o

The ads are for 1 MEGABIT for 500 Baht, still pretty reasonable if it works, but at that price the contention ratio for overseas links is going to be very high, meaning slow links at peak times :D

I'll stick with my 'slow' 512/256 commercial link which gives me 512 to overseas sites for 80-90% of the time (and it's not packet shaped for p2p) :D

I for one hope that they can get off the ground, as it would be a wake up call to True, if Buddy is successful. The former might become more competitive and actually offer what they advertise!

I found: http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=37064

which is dated with Dec. 13 2006 which is amazing

And: http://www.buddybb.net/

Dated Dec 13 2006 :D:o How advance they are. :D

This may explain why it currently works so well:

Since its launch in April last year, ADC has signed up 7,500 subscribers, far short of its sales target of 80,000 customers by the end of 2005.

Only 10% of the predicted customers gives everyone 10x the international bandwidth :o

I for one hope that they can get off the ground, as it would be a wake up call to True, if Buddy is successful. The former might become more competitive and actually offer what they advertise!

No matter how good they plan to be they will have to link into the existing Internet structure in

Thailand

and get strangled like the rest. :o

Buddy set up a deal with our condo a few months back, using the internal phone network, instead of the TOT/True phone lines. Seemed like a great deal cause it meant we could finally cut off the landline! Sadly, Buddy's connection was consistently worse than a 56kbps dialup. Web and email ports seemed to work only half the time and VOIP, RDP, P2P, games, or any thing other than email and web - forget it, it was totally blocked. Their engineer came up and tested the line twice, and he could pull the full speed up on the buddy speed test page. So it was apparent Buddy is focusing on a customer base who will never do anything except browse the web, and intentionally blocking or limiting all other ports. Good thing was they had let me test the system all weekend without asking me to pay for it. I returned their modem on Monday and, as I had not yet paid them, informed them that I will not be paying them so they might as well cancel my account, which they did.

• 2 years later...