Thai Teens Get High On Cow Dung, Mosquito Coil Ash

george

Thai teens get high on cow dung, mosquito coil ash

SOUTH THAILAND: -- Using everything from cow dung fumes to Coca-Cola mixed with mosquito coil ash, teenagers in southern Thailand are intent on getting high at any cost.

Methamphetamines are also readily available, with "yaaba", as it is known, sold in primary schools for 25 baht (80 cents Australian) a tablet in the south.

"The yaaba epidemic is the most serious problem in the southern communities," said Dr Srisompob Jitpiromsri, a political scientist at a southern Thailand university.

Dr Srisompob interviewed 150 prisoners jailed for drug crimes, both consumers and traders, to determine how the recent epidemic had developed.

"At first, it was just for fun," the prisoners told him. "Muslims cannot drink alcohol, they have to avoid it. But when you use codeine and kratom and mix it with Coke and get 'drunk', this is not a sin."

Dr Srisompob said local leaders knew about the drug problem but were unable to stop it.

Some claim 25 to 30 per cent of teenagers in the villages of Thailand's three southern provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat are using yaaba. Others put the number even higher.

The inexpensive kratom leaf, from a native plant, is fuelling the current epidemic, Dr Srisompob said. Traditionally it was used by rubber tappers to give them energy; children now boil the kratom leaves to mix with Coca-Cola and sometimes codeine.

"At first, I thought Coke is a really popular drink here," said Abdulrahman Abdulsamad, headmaster of an Islamic school in Bajo, Narathiwat. Then he realised.

Teenagers also used ash from mosquito coils as a mixer. Putting fresh cow dung in a plastic bag and inhaling the fumes was another way to get high, he said.

"I talk about it a lot with the students," Mr Abdulrahman said. "Even between classes I preach about it, the students get bored with me."

Hama Mayuni, a social worker in Narathiwat, said drug use was rampant, even in primary schools.

"With the unemployment people started to take drugs," said Mr Hama. "Even in the private Islamic schools."

He said premium yaaba sold for 300 baht a tablet but in primary schools low-grade tablets sold for 25 baht. "If you don't have yaaba you use mosquito coils," he said.

Mr Hama accused local police of involvement in the drugs trade. "How can you stop it when the police are involved?" he said. "It's better to keep silent. If I talk about it, I will be in danger."

In his research, Dr Srisompob looked for connections between drug users and the insurgent activities. He found no direct link, but suggested drug takers aged 15 to 24 were likely to be unemployed, have low self-esteem and dislike Thai officials.

--TheAge.com.au 2006-10-23

"At first, it was just for fun," the prisoners told him. "Muslims cannot drink alcohol, they have to avoid it. But when you use codeine and kratom and mix it with Coke and get 'drunk', this is not a sin."

good to see that some people still have the respect to operate within the laws of their religion.

Is this what the kids further north will be doing when the alcohol ban comes in?

On a serious note though nearly all media I have seen has been reporting those for these sweeping bans. I have seen next to nothing quoting sources against it.

Why is no one coming out to say drug use will increase as a result of the ban?

Where is all the reporting on the negatives related to the ban?

Is this what the kids further north will be doing when the alcohol ban comes in?

On a serious note though nearly all media I have seen has been reporting those for these sweeping bans. I have seen next to nothing quoting sources against it.

I think it has to do with martial law. This is politics of a sort.

Rural youths are virtually feral. They have less in common with us as they do with the animals in the forest.

Having said that they bear their inhibitions lightly. They don't agonise about sex and feel compelled to hyper-analyse it via GQ, Equire or Marie Claire.

They just get on with shagging. Shagging here, shagging there, shagging shagging everywhere. They love it, they're little root rats. Of course pregnancy ensues to their consternation.

They need discipline, but their parents are totally unequipped to give any as they are cut of the same cloth.

NEWS JUST IN

1. The cabinet at their meeting today decided to increase the age at which people can buy mosquito coils to 25. No mosquito coils may be sold between the hours of 2pm and 5pm.

2. The Government has annopunce plans to introduce a cow dung bank. Farmers must clear any dung that their cows leave in public areas and place such refuse in the official bags provided, unpenetrable by children. At the end of each day the farmer must take the bag to the official dung bank where a deposit may be made. Farmers not complying with this new rule will be subject to a maximum fine of 1000 baht or one month's imprisonment per cowpat.

3. In a phone call from London, Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has recommended that anybody selling Coca Cola is shot on sight.

BS NEWS

24/10/2006

Dr Srisompob said local leaders knew about the drug problem but were unable to stop it.

Teenagers also used ash from mosquito coils as a mixer. Putting fresh cow dung in a plastic bag and inhaling the fumes was another way to get high, he said.

--TheAge.com.au 2006-10-23

be very wary of young thais walking around with cow pats or coke cans and looking suspicious :o

Indeed, this thread is going to be hot...

My opinion : 100 years of total abandon by thai central government, a silly religion, a struggle, blind violence, zero education, some unclear drugs traffickers (linked to police and/or other "security" services)... and voila the result.

By the way, respect to the traffickers : at 25 THB the pill in primary school (!!!), that's a nice marketing move... :o

Where is the south going ?

The reporting on the negatives of the ban does not exist. Even the studies which support it have not been publicly released and discussed (they allude to community meetings which nobody seems to know about). Empowered by the CNS and believing they are doing the right thing, we are seeing overzealous bureaucrats pushing their personal beliefs down the throats of the populace. They are not saddled with a burden of proof, that will be for the ones which come later and try to overturn what they have done.

People seem to want to know what is being discussed in Bangkok behind closed doors. What is being said is that they fully support the coup for reasons that cannot be discussed on TV, but they want the CNS to get on with it and not feel that they have to mix with everyone's personal lives along the way.

Mr Hama accused local police of involvement in the drugs trade. "How can you stop it when the police are involved?" he said. "It's better to keep silent. If I talk about it, I will be in danger."

This problem has to be solved first.

It is Thailands biggest problem.

This problem has to be solved first.

It is Thailands biggest problem.

Spot on!!!!

Simply further proof that it is better to acknoledge drugs, accept them and control them. People are gonna wanna get high and other people should except that. The kids would be much better off taking some decent Ecstacy that were produced in a factory that sniffing that crap.

Huh - so that why everyones always raving about cow pat muu :o

Edited by isaanbrit

Rural youths are virtually feral. They have less in common with us as they do with the animals in the forest.

Having said that they bear their inhibitions lightly. They don't agonise about sex and feel compelled to hyper-analyse it via GQ, Equire or Marie Claire.

They just get on with shagging. Shagging here, shagging there, shagging shagging everywhere. They love it, they're little root rats. Of course pregnancy ensues to their consternation.

They need discipline, but their parents are totally unequipped to give any as they are cut of the same cloth.

Uh, I think you are confusing rural Thai youths with the most common type of Caucasian ex-pat to be found in the Kingdom of Thailand.

Uh, I think you are confusing rural Thai youths with the most common type of Caucasian ex-pat to be found in the Kingdom of Thailand.

:o:D

Below is an image of the latest drug to attract Thai teens. Flower power?

:o

Is it from Thailand? Anyone reconise that flower? Look like one named 'colchique' in france, notorius to be lethal when eated, but with some effects taken is short quantity.

If same kind, maybe that is not fecal drugg, but maybe something more traditional

someone needs to spread the rumour that the real buzz comes from pig sh!t.

Either that or a well placed documentry about Yabba with a bit of pig sh!t thrown in as the secret ingredient. Better still infiltrate the drug trade with some stuff realy made with pig sh!t. :o

Of course target this info at the adults and watch the teen drug problem in the south come down quicker than a hookers knickers.

Putting fresh cow dung in a plastic bag and inhaling the fumes was another way to get high, he said.

................and to think that we used to spread it around the rose bushes as fertilizer.....no wonder the things were always wilting :o

Putting fresh cow dung in a plastic bag and inhaling the fumes was another way to get high, he said.

................and to think that we used to spread it around the rose bushes as fertilizer.....no wonder the things were always wilting :D

But when your roses did bloom, did they come out in psychedelic colors?? :o