Crime In Pattaya

ZZZ

Pattaya City crime statistics for Jan-June 2006, totals for the Chonburi district in brackets.

Very serious offences: 37 (186) Solved: 20 (78) People caught: 35 (139)

Harm to life, body or gender: 123 (602) Solved: 55 (207) People caught: 77 (285)

Property crime: 611 (1767) Solved: 197 (690) People caught: 244 (902)

Minor crime: 443 (1182) Solved: 35 (122) People caught: 53 (190)

Civil crime: Solved: 1262 (5789) People caught: 2064 (9902)

Out of the 37 very serious offences 14 were murders with 7 solved cases with 18 people caught.

Disclaimer: Note that I don’t speak or read Thai, everything was translated using web translator. Data can be found at the Chonburi Police web site:

http://chonburi.police.go.th/crime/crime2006_index.html

As I'm not fluent in Thai, the site is in Thai, I could not make out if they had it split in foreigners and Thai citizens.

I noticed that the number of murders 2005 for the same period was also 14.

One note: The area covered in the statistics was Pattaya City. That was defined as approximately Wong Amat beach in the north to the tourist end of Jomtien beach in the south, the east west borders was Sukhumvit rd and the beach.

Edited by ZZZ

As I'm not fluent in Thai, the site is in Thai, I could not make out if they had it split in foreigners and Thai citizens.

I noticed that the numbers of murders 2005 for the same period was also 14.

One note; the area covered in the statistics was Pattaya City. That was defined as approximately Wong Amat beach in the north to the tourist end of Jomtien beach in the south, the east west borders was Sukhumvit rd and the beach.

Well at least it seems that the murder figures are static and not going up at an alarming rate as some of the Pattaya bashers would have us believe and the number of farangs murdered would be very low as I can only recall reading about a few in the media this year.

I noticed that the number of murders 2005 for the same period was also 14.

At least they are consistent :o

Probably not, as the number of Thai AND tourists, coming to Pattaya is increasing all the time...

The number is the same but in fact there is most likely a decline and that would be 'good' news. :D

LaoPo

Good point LaoPo

I looked back to 2004 and the numbers there were also 14, so very consistent.

Still, Pattaya is a very small area but have the highest murder rate of all 17 areas of the Chonburi district. Second by about 2 murders is Banglamung and third Chonburi City with about half compared to Pattaya.

Good point LaoPo

Still, Pattaya is a very small area but have the highest murder rate of all 17 areas of the Chonburi district. Second by about 2 murders is Banglamung and third Chonburi City with about half compared to Pattaya.

Banglamung and Pattaya is not that different, so let's count that together. Crime is now a real problem in Pattaya (burglars especially). The city attracts too many doubtful individuals, both farangs and Thais.

However, to defend Pattaya, in whole Thailand you are a moving target. This does not refer in any case for tourists, but for sure if you are a resident.

And by the way, does anybody believe in Thai statistics?

Good nite

Good point LaoPo

Banglamung and Pattaya is not that different, so let's count that together. Crime is now a real problem in Pattaya (burglars especially). The city attracts too many doubtful individuals, both farangs and Thais.

However, to defend Pattaya, in whole Thailand you are a moving target. This does not refer in any case for tourists, but for sure if you are a resident.

Good nite

NO !!!