Chiang Rai To Nan

jingjoe

I tried this trip once before and drove a LONG way. By the end of the day I ended up back in CR.

Do any of you guys know of a short-cut that's fairly easy to follow?

Help would be appreciated. :o

Hi Joe,

There are no shortcuts to Nan. But it is quite easy to get there.

Take 1020 towards Toeng, in Chiang Kian (after maybe 35 km), you take to the right into 1128, sign says "Nan". That is jus before you come to the little tricky road in the mountains.

After maybe 10-12 km that road goes into 1126.

Follow 1026 passing Pha Daet and after around 30 km there is a small road to the right, sign says "Nan".

You come to Chun and there you take 1091 all the way to Nan.

Going back you can go north 1080 and go over Chiang Kham.

Both roads were very good 2-3 years ago.

Nan is a nice place and take your time. I hope to go back in the near future.

Good luck !

:D:D:D

Take 1020 towards Toeng, in Chiang Kian (after maybe 35 km), you take to the right into 1128, sign says "Nan". That is jus before you come to the little tricky road in the mountains.

Follow 1026 passing Pha Daet and after around 30 km there is a small road to the right, sign says "Nan".

Good luck !

The shortest way to Nan is Thoeng, Chiang Khaem, straight, over a mountain to Nan. You don't have to go to Pha Daet. :o

The shortest way to Nan is Thoeng, Chiang Khaem, straight, over a mountain to Nan. You don't have to go to Pha Daet. :D

Thanks for the tip Mumbojumbo! I didn't try that one yet.

I mostly take the 'super' down to Phan, take to the left there and join Svenivans alternative shortly after that. Nice roads to drive, nice villages.

On the way back I use to drive to Payao for a fish at the lake and then brrrmm-brrrmm the super to Chiang Rai. I think this is the quickest way. I mostly end up with about 240 kms on the clock.

I love Nan. It's an ideal place to get a breath of fresh air once in a while.

The route is a pleasure to drive and the landscape is great.

The Devaraj hotel is excellent (900 Baht for a room 'de luxe' including a perfect breakfast buffet).

Don't forget your swimming trunks Svenivan, the hotel has a nice pool :D ). Next door you find a cheaper but also good alternative. From the hotel you can walk to the finest and best museum of northern Thailand and to some of its most interesting temples. The market is at the opposite side of the street.

It is a beautiful town with a 'grandeur' Chiang Rai never had and never will have.

Nan was the capital of the Kingdom of Nan, once stretching to the borders of China (in 1893 after the Paknam 'incident' the French cut it in two).

Very good fish restaurants at the river!

Limbo :o

post-6305-1163289356_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1163289378_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1163289399_thumb.jpg

The last ruler of Nan (Viceroy of Nan) in front of the building which houses the excellent museum and is referred to as the Royal Palace. It was however built at the same time as our Sala Klang Kao at the Singhaklai Road (also under the direction of a western architect).

The two other pictures show details of the interior of two 'absolutely-must-see' temples, situated within a hundred meters from the museum.

The shortest way to Nan is Thoeng, Chiang Khaem, straight, over a mountain to Nan. You don't have to go to Pha Daet. :o

Well, I checked my maps today and what I can see, might be wrong, the road passing Pha Daet and Chun might be 35 km shorter.

But I also told OP that he can go back over Chiang Kham.

Normally I always try to find different roads when I am out driving. That is the way to find new and interesting places.

• 1 month later...
Hi Joe,

Good luck !

Thanks to you all. Having failed to find Nan last time, I will be following svenivan's directions to the letter, even if it could mean extra kms, in the hope that I can at last visit my final Thai frontier.

I can't wait, I've even booked and paid for my room at the City Park Hotel, so failure is NOT an option.

Thanks again :o

a really really beautiful place..great weather lovely people...one of the best place in thailand Id say :o but seems you have enough recommendations already :D enjoy...i hope i can visit again some day...but for now will have to settle with chiang rai, chiang mai and pai next month :D

Perhaps you could suggest where the best thai food in town is served??

At the river, close to the bridge, you will find several evening-restaurants, specialized in fish.

Last time I was there together with 'localguy'. He asked the lady of one of these restaurants where to eat the best fish of town.

She didn't say 'here', but drove with her motorbike in front of us to a restaurant which indeed served delicious Thai food. That's Nan style!

The place is also at the river, about three kilometer to the left from the bridge.

Excellent food, a nice terrace at the river and local beauties nicely singing songs.

Wow, Nan, here I come!

Limbo :o

PS: For aerobics just be under the bridge at 5 pm.

Perhaps you could suggest where the best thai food in town is served??

The best cook in Nan works at Runway Restaurant, on the highway opposite the airport.

The name of Limbo's recommendation is Suriyan Gardens. Much better views, music etc..

Edited by my friend I

• 3 years later...

I think shes still there. They now close for 2 days a month, not sure which day. Monday ?? market day nearby.

Worth going soon to watch the full moon come up over the airfield. Suriya Garden & the place next door are still good.