Retrieval of Thai students’ bodies in California ‘first of its kind’

webfact

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Because just a Thai Licence for privalidged children means nothing. often just bought by Momey over here, a US Licence means up to a Standard, not a Price. Also Rental Companies turn down Renters that they doubt hold both brains or quality licence, they aint PC Wimps.Our Son was refused by Hertz in London years ago, and rightly so.

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Rental car companies in the US accept  Thai DL. Been using my Thai Dl for over ten years to do so and it was not bought.

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

I think you are not a spotty Oik or Thai, and over 25, i only have a Thai Licence these days but were talking inexperiance Asian Children i thought, but ive finished, its heading away from an accident and inexperiance issue.

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Maybe Hertz were happy with the licence but not the second criteria you were so happy to point out. 

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

"Our Son was refused by Hertz in London years ago, and rightly so."

There ar many reasons for a rental company for turning down a request but a Thai license holder or being Thai is not one of them. BTW I personally know of numerous UK nationals that use their Thai DL when renting a car in the UK.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

The probably bought their Thai Licenses, so they never learned about road signs or how to drive on mountain roads! RIP to the Families!

On 4/9/2560 at 9:29 AM, Ace of Pop said:

Would be interesting to know where the Driver attained his License?emoji165.png.?.
======================================================================

Rich or not rich - Thai drivers licenses had in the past been obtained easy with some "Tea money" that could be now more difficult as I hear,

but - as I saw, even if you make a driving course - official one and its nearly certain that you get your license after a week lol :wink: some - special women, "sorry" still cannot drive!:post-4641-1156693976:

Read on my experience 

Had my Thai sister in law driven to a official Driving school, 2013 -  for some days -

my European brother in law opinion was, 

she goes driving school in Thailand - was one week and included driving and learning rules - cost 4 or 5.000 Baht -

she got that 

and then in Europe she was allowed 6 month driving with that Thai license

and latest then, she had to make a Driving Test -  no rules test -

only practical driving test to get then the necessary  Austrian license.

BUT -

she does not drive until today herself on public roads in Austria

and has never applied for her Thai license to be changed to a  Austrian license  - after a only practical driving test.

My brother in law opinion -

she will never come by a Austrian Practice - only - driving on the road test

and he also would not like she drives their daughter there around. :blink::smile:

Edited by ALFREDO

Remarkable.

A couple of young people have a horrendous accident on a treacherous mountain road and this turns into Thai bashing.

As a Canadian, I've travelled on these types of roads and seen numerous accidents. Including many by professional drivers.

On the old Whistler highway I turned a corner to find some moron in my lane.

I was fortunate enough to have enough room to get between him and the cliff face.

If the travel direction had been reversed I'd have a choice of a head on collusion or a 200 foot drop.

These roads are dangerous for anyone and sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident.

11 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

No, why would i want to waste time doing that?

Seems you had time to waste before making comments on licence issues which had nothing to do with the post,  so what's changed? 

5 hours ago, Psychic said:

Remarkable.

A couple of young people have a horrendous accident on a treacherous mountain road and this turns into Thai bashing.

As a Canadian, I've travelled on these types of roads and seen numerous accidents. Including many by professional drivers.

On the old Whistler highway I turned a corner to find some moron in my lane.

I was fortunate enough to have enough room to get between him and the cliff face.

If the travel direction had been reversed I'd have a choice of a head on collusion or a 200 foot drop.

These roads are dangerous for anyone and sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident.

I agree Thai bashing was out of order.

But the previous criticisms about how long this took were ALSO out of order. Frankly, they smelled of projection. 

The delay had led to some criticism of US agencies who were viewed as not wanting to recover the bodies because the victims were Asian, not Americans, although US authorities have dismissed the allegation.

6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Seems you had time to waste before making comments on licence issues which had nothing to do with the post,  so what's changed? 

Think if you stay of the smarties and learn to read you will find no reference at all to LICENSE ISSUES in my post, also if you take the time to read through the threads of this post you will see that a good majority also concur with the sentiment of my post, which is the simple fact that Thais are utterly useless at driving.

21 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

Think if you stay of the smarties and learn to read you will find no reference at all to LICENSE ISSUES in my post, also if you take the time to read through the threads of this post you will see that a good majority also concur with the sentiment of my post, which is the simple fact that Thais are utterly useless at driving.

Not true my friend some are good drivers but the vast majority are as I think wayward to say the least. All down to one thing road signs that are ignored as they are thought of as decoration only and the bib not getting out and doing their job.

Just now, wakeupplease said:

Not true my friend some are good drivers but the vast majority are as I think wayward to say the least. All down to one thing road signs that are ignored as they are thought of as decoration only and the bib not getting out and doing their job.

In all my time in Thailand I have never seen any Thai who would come close to passing the UK driving test. BTW that's 2 things!! 

On 4/9/2560 at 1:35 PM, Artisi said:

Not usually, would you like to quantify that with some hard numbers as to  how many,  or isn't there any road deaths in the good old USA

8 hours ago, Psychic said:

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I agree Thai bashing was out of order.

3 hours ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

the simple fact that Thais are utterly useless at driving.

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

the vast majority are as I think wayward to say the least. All down to one thing road signs that are ignored as they are thought of as decoration only and the bib not getting out and doing their job.

I would believe, the women had no experience at all to drive mountain roads

and to shift in the right low gear, specially when go downwards in the surely automatic-transmission car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Ok, there are a lot death by Motorbike included, Thais do not like to use Helmets, but still, hard fact,

Thailand is, behind Libya which is a lawless country in conflict, number 2 in the world by traffic related death,

THAILAND 36 per 100.000 inhabitants, 

USA not so well either 11 per 100.000 

GERMANY -

which until today has Autobahn-Highways without any speed limit - on some sections =  4 per 100.000

Edited by ALFREDO

57 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

I would believe, the women had no experience at all to drive mountain roads

and to shift in the right low gear, specially when go downwards in the surely automatic-transmission car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Ok, there are a lot death by Motorbike included, Thais do not like to use Helmets, but still, hard fact,

Thailand is, behind Libya which is a lawless country in conflict, number 2 in the world by traffic related death,

THAILAND 36 per 100.000 inhabitants, 

USA not so well either 11 per 100.000 

GERMANY - which until today has Autobahn-Highways without any speed limit - on some sections =  4 per 100.000

According to this the US has a bit more than 2x the VKT (vehicle kilometer travel) per capita as Germany.  It's hard to find current information about Thailand.

I looked up the population density and one State really close to Germany is Illinois (important because then the comparison is valid; choosing an empty State or a State with a higher density would not equate the experience of Germany).  3/4 of the way through the year there have been 716 fatalities.  Extrapolating that out means ~955 fatalities.  At 12.8M people, that's 7.5 fatalities per 100,000.  So less than 2x the fatalities for averaging over 2x the km.  I'd say that's not too bad.

Especially because this link says (i.e. a 50% reduction in VKT should result in 50-70% reduction in crashes - note that the more than 50% reduction that Germany has in VKT actually results in only 47% decrease in road fatalities per 100K when comparing similar density):

Strategies that reduce overall vehicle travel probably provide proportional or greater reductions in crashes. Available evidence suggests that a 10% reduction in mileage in an area provides a 10- 14% reduction in crashes, all else being equal.

According to this, the average age of German cars is 8.9 years.  Average for the States is 11.6.  Without going too far down the rabbit hole, Americans are driving (a lot more) older cars than Germans.  Those older cars (without knowing their percentage of crashes) are (usually) less safe than newer cars. 

So putting it all together; Germans are driving half the distance, newer (and presumably) safer vehicles, and yet are dying at a higher rate when population density is controlled.  I'd say in this instance (and it's harder to say that every year!) the Americans are doing better...

Edited by dave_boo
fixed quote

1 hour ago, dave_boo said:

I'd say in this instance (and it's harder to say that every year!) the Americans are doing better...

1st 

Its about Thailand drivers possibilities

2nd

You confuse me

3rd

You splitting hairs - maybe you should also bring inside your -hair splitting theories,

that in Germany, there are some Highway sections - about 30 % of all Autobahn Highways without any speed limit!

and most countries in Europe have a higher then the USA speed limit

130 km/h = 89 Miles Highway limit is set and a 100 km/h = 62 Miles on most other roads outside cities 

Also - I short checked German car drives an average of

"Each car drives an average of 14.015 Kilometers in the year"  

and

"The average age of passenger cars  registered on 1 January 2017 is 9.3 years"

= State German Federal Motor Transport Authority =

A LINK in German will probably be deleted - I can send him in PM :wink:

I think your conclusions must have flaws 

People Killed per 1,000,000,000 veh·km

Germany - all roads 5  Autobahn 1,74 

USA - all roads  7  Highway  3,38  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn#Travel_speeds

Edited by ALFREDO

9 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

1st 

Its about Thailand drivers possibilities

2nd

You confuse me

3rd

You splitting hairs - maybe you should also bring inside your -hair splitting theories,

that in Germany, there are some Highway sections - about 30 % of all Autobahn Highways without any speed limit!

and most countries in Europe have a higher then the USA speed limit

130 km/h = 89 Miles Highway limit is set and a 100 km/h = 62 Miles on most other roads outside cities 

Also - I short checked German car drives an average of

"Each car drives an average of 14.015 Kilometers in the year"  

and

"The average age of passenger cars  registered on 1 January 2017 is 9.3 years"

A LINK in German will probably be deleted - I can send him in PM :wink:

I think your conclusions must have flaws 

I'm sorry you are confused.

My understanding is that the sections of the Autobahn that are unlimited are the sparsely populated areas with a lot of controlled entrances and exits. Excessively talking about that system as a comparison to higher populated without the same controls is not relevant. 

I provided a link with various countries VKM. I would love to see information proving it wrong as a couple of sites I looked at agreed with it.

1 hour ago, dave_boo said:

I'm sorry you are confused.

My understanding is that the sections of the Autobahn that are unlimited are the sparsely populated areas with a lot of controlled entrances and exits. Excessively talking about that system as a comparison to higher populated without the same controls is not relevant. 

I provided a link with various countries VKM. I would love to see information proving it wrong as a couple of sites I looked at agreed with it.

My numbers are from the German Authorities

They know better then you and your sources -

AND, if that is not enough for you - with a English LINK

Your understanding of the Autobahn is BS, lol 

go start travel a bit!

"the sections of the Autobahn that are unlimited are the sparsely populated areas with a lot of controlled entrances and exits."

Completely TING TONG what you write - lol

Density of population per km2 - square km  LOL 

Germany 237

USA 35  

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.POP.DNST

for me its here over and out of discussion 

as it is said 

= Never argue with unreasonable people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience = 

Edited by ALFREDO

11 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

My numbers are from the German Authorities

They know better then you and your sources -

AND, if that is not enough for you - with a English LINK

Your understanding of the Autobahn is BS, lol 

go start travel a bit!

"the sections of the Autobahn that are unlimited are the sparsely populated areas with a lot of controlled entrances and exits."

Completely TING TONG what you write - lol

Density of population per km2 - square km  LOL 

Germany 237

USA 35  

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.POP.DNST

for me its here over and out of discussion 

as it is said 

= Never argue with unreasonable people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience = 

I wasn't going to comment out of respect for your decision to wallow in ignorance but as you edited your post to call me crazy here it goes.

First, using your own statistics it's quite clear that Autobahn travel is inherently safer than on other roadways. Reasons can be discussed to death but the fact that it's a unique system that deviates from the death rate even in its own country invalidatesany comparison to other systems vis a vis determining root cause.

Since you like Wikipedia here's what they state.

However limits are posted (and enforced) in areas that are urbanized, substandard, accident-prone, or under construction.

A 2008 estimate reported that 52% of the autobahn network had only the advisory speed limit, 15% had temporary speed limits due to weather or traffic conditions, and 33% had permanent speed limits.

Guess, using a source you like, either I am not "ting tong" and/or you are.

Once again; you have to compare density. On the same Wikipedia link you'll see that the least densely populated areas in Germany have the highest vehicular death rates. Rural areas are 33% higher than urban. So if you want to go with that than the 7x as dense Germany should be MUCH safer.

These aren't cherry picked manipulated numbers nor guesses. They're facts.