Gift For Thai Family

argonaut942

It looks as if I'll face the situation of staying overnight in a Thai family's house in Nakon Pathom during my next trip to Thailand in a few weeks. I think it would be an appropriate and friendly gesture if I took some present to give to the family to thank them for their hospitality. Do you have any suggestions? I'd prefer to find something here in good old Europe than in Thailand as I don't think I will have much time shop for presents before I'm going. Then again, it shouldn't take too much space in my luggage, and in case it's food I have to be certain customs will not fish it out. What's the rules and regulations with regard to importing food to Thailand anyway? I usually take chocolate and sweets for my friend in Bangkok, but this time I'm trying my luck with bacon and sausages. Do I have to worry?

Thanks for your help!

If the folks are as same as mine.

Take some chocolate ,slabs and some smaller chocies to give to kids.

I gave them a Mazda pick up ,,,,,but thats another story.

Have a good time

Folks are from Korat by the way.

"this time I'm trying my luck with bacon and sausages."

Bacon and sausages are not typically Thai staple including cheese. I don't know they will like it. If it's food, I suggest shelled nuts (almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts) or dried fruits.

I don't know what country you are from, but something unique to your homeland would go down well. Alcohol often hits the spot. A bottle of something not readily available in Thailand. I've given a set of whiskey minatures before and was appreciated as something to sit in the display cabinet.

Meat products may not travel well and anyway good bacon is much easier to get here nowadays.

I don't know what country you are from, but something unique to your homeland would go down well. Alcohol often hits the spot. A bottle of something not readily available in Thailand. I've given a set of whiskey minatures before and was appreciated as something to sit in the display cabinet.

Meat products may not travel well and anyway good bacon is much easier to get here nowadays.

Bacon would be rather unique to my homeland, also the kind that you wouldn't easily find abroad. It is readily available vacuum sealed so transport shouldn't be a big deal. I was thinking in terms of meat because both the family's bread earners are butchers by profession. Anyway, either that or chocolate then I guess...?! :o

meat goes down well as long as its not mutton or lamb for the most part.... bacon ... of course!! and if they are issan they might eat it not fried up but the way it is... sausages? as long as its spicy...

also the dried nuts etc .dried fruits didnt seem to go over to well if they werent salted like the kind u can buy in the 7/11s.

alcohol of any sort

Chocolates for the kids and women

Booze or Marlboro ciggies for the guys

Anything unique to your country

Baseball hats go down a treat too

But remember before you leave the village...slip the mum, for one night mmm....lets see....few hundred baht cash...that will be greatly appreciated.

But remember before you leave the village...slip the mum, for one night mmm....lets see....few hundred baht cash...that will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! However, it's not the rurals. They live a modern and urban lifestyle. They are not poor either. I wished I owned a house like them. :o

On my last visit to my Thai family I took a cask of Australian rose wine. In less than one day it was consumed.

All the neighbours in the near vicinity called in for a glass.

I'd love to repeat the gift for my next visit but carrying liquids on airlines is now restricted.

The family fed me and looked after me well during my stay. Upon leaving, I gave mom a wai and an envelope containing 10,000 baht. In return she gave me a bag full of home grown cashew nuts. We were both happy. :o

When I first visited my Thai partner's parents for the first time, I asked him what to take them. Expecting the cigarettes and alcohol answer, I was shocked vwhen I got his answer: A nice bag of RICE.

Taking rice to Issan !!!! We bought a big bag at Chum Phae, 25km before we got there and parents were very happy with my gift.

Peter