ATM robbed me but gave me IOU!

13 hours ago, pauleddy said:

You are totally correct re, a fool's errand, but I will do it on principle. If everybody threw away 1000, then it would be quite something.

Don't let principle override common sense.... impacting your work and costing you more in the longer term.

I have never had such an instance but many situations where a BKB ATM clicked and whirred for a while and never dispensed and returned my card, causing me some worry, until I was able to confirm the machine seemed to have later corrected my statement entry.

I would be very surprised if dispensing slips of paper, along with the cash, would ever be the machines purposeful action. It would have told you if only 9000 was available.

I am more inclined to be suspicious of the guy who filled it.... and agree that sometimes the attitude from Thais, to reported problems, is lacking. 

9 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Last year I took 10,000 out of my Bangkok Bank account ATM, counted it, and then paid it in to a Siam Comm Bank Paying-In machine which gave me a receipt of 9,000.

No bit of paper...

:annoyed:

A couple years ago shortly after opening a Krungsri Bank account, I decided to test out a  Cash Deposit Machine  (CDM) at a brand new Krungsri Branch in a mall very close to me.   I inserted Bt1,000, it took it, gave me a receipt of Bt1,000 just like it is suppose to  happen.  OK, I had my passbook with me and moved over the the Passbook Update  Machine, inserted the passbook, and the machined did not report/print the Bt1,000 deposit in my passbook...it was like no deposit had occurred..

Now I had  already used Bangkok Bank CDMs for years in making deposits to my Bangkok Bank account....sometimes depositing up to Bt60,000 (sixty 1000 baht notes at a time) and never had a problem...I would get the receipt  from the CDM and when udpating my passbook a few seconds later the deposit was reflected/printed on the passbook.

Back to my Krungsri B1000 CDM deposit.  I waited about 5 minutes in hopes there was just a delay in the amount posting to my account and then reflecting  on my passbook....but it still wasn't reflecting.  Waited 15 minutes...still didn't reflect.  So I went into the branch, explained my problem, showed them the CDM receipt, etc.  They checked their computer system and it showed the Bt1,000 CDM deposit but even for them when they tried  to update the passbook within the branch to show the deposit but it would not print an update to the passbook...as if the deposit had not occurred.   They were now scratching their heads as to what was happening....what was the problem.

After approx 20 minutes of three Krungsri branch folks working the issue...all three working around one computer terminal and making calls trying to fix the issue, they finally got the deposit to appear on my account/print out in a passbook....but they had to do some "manual" entries/corrections they told me afterwards.   

A few days later I decided to try another depost in the same CDM again with a Bt1,000 deposit, it took the money, gave me a Bt1000 receipt, and when checking the deposit in the Passbook Update Machine a few seconds later it reflected the deposit/print out on the passbook just as it's suppose to.

Something just went wrong on that first B1,000 CDM deposit attempt....some glitch in the system must have occurred.

And guess what, approx 1 month later that first B1,000 deposit which had the problem appeared on my account and I figured they would make a correction/debit for the Bt1,000 "manual" entry deposit the branch had to do that day, but no debit ever occurred.  

So, when the dust settled I ended up with an extra Bt1,000.  And no, I did not go back to the branch to point out this issue...have then take back Bt1,000 because I felt it would confuse them to no end and possibly cause problems on my account.   Yea, some may say I should have tried to give the money back, but I figured I would just Let Sleeping Dogs Lie.

Edited by Pib

On 9/10/2017 at 4:14 PM, Argus Tuft said:

OP, why do you have to take half a day off work? Bank branches in malls are open until 7 or 8pm.

Strongly suggest you stow that "the whole world is against me so I'm angry at everyone and everything" attitude, before you head in to the branch.  You're not going to elicit any sympathy, and you're less likely to get the help you need, if you start berating the staff about your misfortunes.

Bad luck this happened to you, but just pull your head in, get it sorted, and move on

Good advice , it's unfortunate that these problems only happen in Thailand and the rest of the world is perfect no crime, no mistakes, perfect people

Its obviously time to move back to one of these places where life is bliss!!!

18 hours ago, Pib said:

A couple years ago shortly after opening a Krungsri Bank account, I decided to test out a  Cash Deposit Machine  (CDM) at a brand new Krungsri Branch in a mall very close to me.   I inserted Bt1,000, it took it, gave me a receipt of Bt1,000 just like it is suppose to  happen.  OK, I had my passbook with me and moved over the the Passbook Update  Machine, inserted the passbook, and the machined did not report/print the Bt1,000 deposit in my passbook...it was like no deposit had occurred..

Now I had  already used Bangkok Bank CDMs for years in making deposits to my Bangkok Bank account....sometimes depositing up to Bt60,000 (sixty 1000 baht notes at a time) and never had a problem...I would get the receipt  from the CDM and when udpating my passbook a few seconds later the deposit was reflected/printed on the passbook.

Back to my Krungsri B1000 CDM deposit.  I waited about 5 minutes in hopes there was just a delay in the amount posting to my account and then reflecting  on my passbook....but it still wasn't reflecting.  Waited 15 minutes...still didn't reflect.  So I went into the branch, explained my problem, showed them the CDM receipt, etc.  They checked their computer system and it showed the Bt1,000 CDM deposit but even for them when they tried  to update the passbook within the branch to show the deposit but it would not print an update to the passbook...as if the deposit had not occurred.   They were now scratching their heads as to what was happening....what was the problem.

After approx 20 minutes of three Krungsri branch folks working the issue...all three working around one computer terminal and making calls trying to fix the issue, they finally got the deposit to appear on my account/print out in a passbook....but they had to do some "manual" entries/corrections they told me afterwards.   

A few days later I decided to try another depost in the same CDM again with a Bt1,000 deposit, it took the money, gave me a Bt1000 receipt, and when checking the deposit in the Passbook Update Machine a few seconds later it reflected the deposit/print out on the passbook just as it's suppose to.

Something just went wrong on that first B1,000 CDM deposit attempt....some glitch in the system must have occurred.

And guess what, approx 1 month later that first B1,000 deposit which had the problem appeared on my account and I figured they would make a correction/debit for the Bt1,000 "manual" entry deposit the branch had to do that day, but no debit ever occurred.  

So, when the dust settled I ended up with an extra Bt1,000.  And no, I did not go back to the branch to point out this issue...have then take back Bt1,000 because I felt it would confuse them to no end and possibly cause problems on my account.   Yea, some may say I should have tried to give the money back, but I figured I would just Let Sleeping Dogs Lie.

Nice story with an unusual happy ending.

I was out 1000 baht, deposit was to pay a bill not another of my accounts.

Ain't technology wonderful...

:unsure:

(I thought a CDM was a bar of English chocolate)

I've been using ATMs in Thailand for 9 years now, using both foreign and Thai debit cards.  So far I've only had one incident of a Bangkok Bank ATM eating my Bangkok Bank debit card.   That same ATM which was outside a Foodland here in Bangkok ate other peoples' cards that day also according to the Foodland folks we talked to a few days later.

Anyway, I went to my bank branch same day and got a replacement card for free.    So far, I've never been shorted by an ATM...anywhere in the world after decades of using ATMs.  Buy hey, my day will probably come.