Phone and internet coverage on the islands of koh Lanta, koh lipe etc.

leggo

Has anybody experience of the coverage on the islands in the Andaman sea; i.e Koh Lipe, Koh Lanta etc and who would be the best supplier .I am visiting the islands over Xmas and I've heard the hotel I'm staying in Koh Lipe has lousy wi-fi so I am wondering whther to buy a package for myself!?

AIS works perfectly on Koh Lanta. You can buy a month's contract with AIS for 499 thb which gives you Internet use / free AIS - AIS calls and some allowance for other calls, not sure exactly what, we just checked today and my wife was explaining it to me up to the point where I decided we don't need it and so I switched off and have not got the accurate details.

In Koh Lipe you can use AIS, DTAC or True. But if you are visiting the other islands around Koh Lipe, you need True because their tower is on the west end of the island which will allow service at Koh Adang in areas where there is no service from AIS or DTAC which have their towers on the east end of the islands. 

When you are in Koh Lanta, you will certainly want to go visit Koh Rok Nok where there is no tower. It seems only the tower at Koh Nagai or Koh Kradan will reach Koh Rok Nok and that tower is DTAC. In Koh Muk the best is AIS. I found good coverage in Koh Lanta with AIS with 4G+ True sucks in Koh Muk and Koh Rok Nok but it works great in Koh Lipe! The best is to have all three!