What is the VERY BEST thing about living in Thailand??

fashionablesally

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Does that translate into "being a male chauvinist pig, a paternalist and a racist, and getting away with it"?

Is it possible to be a racist and live and love Asian and African people in preference to European people?   Or did you mean racist as in liking Asian people and not liking white people?  I guess that's racism of a sort.  Is that what you meant?

4 minutes ago, amvet said:

Is it possible to be a racist and live and love Asian and African people in preference to European people?   Or did you mean racist as in liking Asian people and not liking white people?  I guess that's racism of a sort.  Is that what you meant?

No, I mean liking dark girls for sex.

Only dark girls.

Only sex.

12 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

There are also available in Thailand 20-year-olds who wouldn't be caught dead as a go-go dancer but they are in a different price range.

I am aware of that but I like to dance and with go go dancers one can establish dancing proficiency before taking them on a date.  Plus, I've found in addition to the dancing ability, in general, they speak better English than Thai PhD's, doctors and lawyers.  

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

No, I mean liking dark girls for sex.

Only dark girls.

Only sex.

Oh thanks.  I didn't know darkness was the criteria for racism.  There are light skinned Africans and Asians and dark skinned (tanned) Europeans.  Who would only like one color of person for sex?  How boring. 

8 minutes ago, bleble said:

Wait for your diabetes or first cancer and you will remember how you liked Thai food...

I agree - that is why I came to Thailand as on old man, the poison will not have enough time to build up in my body.

Anyone who comes to Asia as a young man is a fool.

1 minute ago, amvet said:

Oh thanks.  I didn't know darkness was the criteria for racism.  There are light skinned Africans and Asians and dark skinned (tanned) Europeans.  Who would only like one color of person for sex?  How boring. 

QUOTE: Who would only like one color of person for sex?  How boring. 

Most sexpats would disagree with you.

Anyway, they would not be able to afford a different choice: too poor, too old, too ugly, too boring.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: Who would only like one color of person for sex?  How boring. 

Most sexpats would disagree with you.

Anyway, they would not be able to afford a different choice: too poor, too old, too ugly, too boring.

One of the things I really like about Thailand is color is not near as important as it is in the West.  Sure there are some folks who think Thai Chinese people are brighter than the average Thai but they are too loony for me to talk to or associate with.  All the people I know don't discriminate based on color and that includes value of go go dancers.  Your mileage may vary and maybe you know more about go go dancers than I.  Who am I to say.

4 hours ago, thaijoe said:

1st thing is the girls, then the street food thats already cooked. I don't know where the people in here think this place is cheap. a lot of thing here is the same price back home, only the rent is cheap in some area's. to buy pork, beef is the same dam price if not more. 2 lbs of ground pork at makro is 180 baht, i just bought it, that equals the average say 5-6 dollars.. wow big savings, same if you ask me, bread 33 baht = 1 dollar. same. 1 bottle of fanta red pop 17 baht.- 50 cents, same,,, so tell me it is cheaper here, BS, my electric bill is 3,000 for a size room no bigger than my living room, where i pay back home that same price for electric in winter for the whole dam house half that in summer.

you guys should start comparing the prices again. have a  good day

3000 barts electricity bill .! Turn the air-con off and getta fan .. 

9 minutes ago, amvet said:

One of the things I really like about Thailand is color is not near as important as it is in the West.  Sure there are some folks who think Thai Chinese people are brighter than the average Thai but they are too loony for me to talk to or associate with.  All the people I know don't discriminate based on color and that includes value of go go dancers.  Your mileage may vary and maybe you know more about go go dancers than I.  Who am I to say.

oh boy

And as expected when i started the thread...the majority would have to say it has something to do with Thai women. I couldn't blame them because these Women are gorgeous!! and Yes i am straight. Haha. I mean the average American woman is most likely not to be as feminine as the average Thai woman...some men prefer this and some don't. At the end of the day, i would argue that it has got everything to do with the culture. Oozing some form of submissiveness has got everything to do with culture. Having friends that are Asian and African, i tend to think that women from these two cultures are most likely to be this way because it is sought of engraved in them. It's a part of them..and this doesn't necessarily have to be something bad or something that they should be ashamed of. In a current world full of Feminists...saying things like this can actually get you in trouble :post-4641-1156693976:  :shock1:

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

For me, in order of importance:

1/ my own small swimming pool (in Europe I didn't even dream of that)

2/ the 3 rai garden of my wife, with flowers, vegetables and fruit trees

3/ the cool dry season october > march (the other 6 months we are in Europe)

4/ the freedom to build a cheap house to my liking / to my needs - yes it will last only 10 years, but so what? I will not last another 10 years myself.

5/ durian 555 my favourite fruit

Mind you, if I were still young, I would say all the above is sooooooooo boring.

Hippy I was on the way to awarding you the full 5 out of 5 for that until I arrived at Durian being fave fruit .. So unfortunately on this occasion you will have to accept 4 outta 5 .. :sleep:

40 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Could you refrase that in Thai? My wife, daughter and grandson do not understand it, only the end "no money".

Not in Thai script, no. Greco-Roman alphabet can be very misleading when used for Thai words, so I'm not surprised they're a bit baffled.

Translated to English it means " Old already, not strong, not handsome, no money".

12 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Hippy I was on the way to awarding you the full 5 out of 5 for that until I arrived at Durian being fave fruit .. So unfortunately on this occasion you will have to accept 4 outta 5 .. :sleep:

If I replace durian by Very ripe Camembert, will you give me a 5?

Oh wait, the thread is about Thailand.

But if Camembert were a Thai cheese, would I get a 5?

PS. Please do not force me to put you on my ignore list.

5 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Not in Thai script, no. Greco-Roman alphabet can be very misleading when used for Thai words, so I'm not surprised they're a bit baffled.

Translated to English it means " Old already, not strong, not handsome, no money".

hehehe one has to be very fluent in English to understand Thai in Anglo Greco Roman alphabet.

And I am not a native English speaker.

21 minutes ago, fashionablesally said:

And as expected when i started the thread...the majority would have to say it has something to do with Thai women. I couldn't blame them because these Women are gorgeous!! and Yes i am straight. Haha. I mean the average American woman is most likely not to be as feminine as the average Thai woman...some men prefer this and some don't. At the end of the day, i would argue that it has got everything to do with the culture. Oozing some form of submissiveness has got everything to do with culture. Having friends that are Asian and African, i tend to think that women from these two cultures are most likely to be this way because it is sought of engraved in them. It's a part of them..and this doesn't necessarily have to be something bad or something that they should be ashamed of. In a current world full of Feminists...saying things like this can actually get you in trouble :post-4641-1156693976:  :shock1:

I was a feminist way back in the sixties. I still am. And I am a man.

Unfortunately, most feminists today are not real feminists.

Know what I mean?

Just now, oldhippy said:

hehehe one has to be very fluent in English to understand Thai in Anglo Greco Roman alphabet.

And I am not a native English speaker.

One of the reasons they may not have understood is I'm using Lanna Thai - it is different to Bangkok Thai.

One does have to be very careful with pronunciation and tone. There's a trendy street called Nimmanheimen in Chiang Mai, pronounce it incorrectly and the Thais will fall about laughing because then it's Lanna slang for female genitals. Just like you have to be careful where and how you use the expressions nong chai and nong sow.

17 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Can I share your Camembert, PLEASE :smile: 

31 minutes ago, fashionablesally said:

It's got a lot to do with the legal system as well. Divorce/separation laws in most Western countries heavily favour women. Here, the legal situation is far less threatening to men if things go pear-shaped. Defacto relationships are not recognised in Thai law. IMHO that creates an environment where commitment actually becomes easier.

38 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Indeed .. And the beloved leader obviously rates " Thai " Camembert higher than that French Norman rubbish .. I mean what would they know about it .. On the strength that I have now re-instated the one point deducted for you're lust of Durian I trust you will abide by you're side of the bargain not to put us on you're ignore list .. :smile:

sketch-1505292331650.png

Edited by Justgrazing
Spelling

1 hour ago, amvet said:

Color is very important to Thais, that's why there is lots of discrimination against Thais from Issan. A dark skin means you work in the rice fields, therefore low social status.

Haven't you noticed all the white-skinned Thai models, male and female, on Thai TV flogging skin whitening products?

46 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Not half as baffled if you speak cockney rhyming slang English to them... And don't even go anywhere near trying to translate rhsl in to Thai or vice-versa ..