What to do when an Ex Pat dies in Thailand.

nong38

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Sorry to be misleading but he was being fed by wife and able to eat that way (although she almost as weak) - just could not do by himself - but died after using toilet - just fell over and stopped breathing.  

Thank you for the clarification.  May he rest in peace.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 11:46 PM, nong38 said:

Worth thinking about if they know the ropes, can save you a lot of bother, for me I dont do facebook so would have to look elsewhere. The American Embassy had a list of approved Funeral Homes, your Embassy might do as well, something else to check out and is especially useful as Sheryl says if re patriation or sending possessions back to the homeland, if thats your plan look into it and dont forget the passport needs to be surrendered. You might want to take a copy for sentemental reasons.

The US State Department has an online program that allows citizens to register their emergency contact information. It is called Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). There are sections for emergency contacts and people who are NOT to be contacted. This is the system that US Embassy personnel check first when a US citizen in a foreign country is reported to them.https://step.state.gov/STEPMobile/Default.aspx

There is a lot of useful information on the US Embassy Bangkok website under the American Citizen Services tab. There you will find a host of resources to use concerning attorneys, translation services, and passport services. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

If the expat dies in hospital he wont get released from the morgue without a death certificate. If he dies at home then the police should arrive also a doctor to determine cause of death, the doctor should then produce one. At home its probably easiest to get the local headman involved he will have the contacts and know what to do, so identify him.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2019 at 7:09 AM, BTempleman said:

The US State Department has an online program that allows citizens to register their emergency contact information. It is called Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). There are sections for emergency contacts and people who are NOT to be contacted. This is the system that US Embassy personnel check first when a US citizen in a foreign country is reported to them.https://step.state.gov/STEPMobile/Default.aspx

There is a lot of useful information on the US Embassy Bangkok website under the American Citizen Services tab. There you will find a host of resources to use concerning attorneys, translation services, and passport services. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

The Australian Embassy (Bangkok) website is also quite informative and you can also complete and submit an instruction page to indicate what you want the embassy to do if you pass on.

E.g, you can indicate the name(s) (and provide contact details) of the people you want the embassy / Canberra to inform of your death.

Or you can indicate that you want nobody to be informed of your death. Your choice will be followed as far as what's within the control of the local embassy / Canberra.

It seems that it's automatic for the Thai police to quickly inform the Australian embassy when an Aust. Citizen dies in Thailand, and it's my understanding that (following Aust. laws) the Aust. embassy Bkk officially / quickly informs many Australian government agencies. (e.g. centrelink). All of this is regardless of the paragraph above.  

Edited by scorecard
What if you are informed the ex pat is dead but don't get death cert?
Depends on what your role is.

If you are the executor of their estate or otherwise wanting to help settle financial affairs or make burial/cremation arrangements then you have to get at least a Thai death certificate. If there are financial matters to handle in their home country ss well then you will often need some sort of endorsement or certificate from the relevant embassy as well.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not sure if my English friend who has lived here for a good few years is talking rubbish, but
he says that often when the police arrive at the house, one of the first things they demand is the passport and bank books, and sometimes any cash and gold assets.
Is this possible, or is he going senile ? 

Your friend is talking rubbish

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

All mandates cease eases upon death (not notification of it).

A Bank is protected until advice is received, but anyone accessing funds after death is acting fraudulently.

However, I agree that the other  party inherits by succession and in practical terms no one is going to do anything about it.

Is this your educated opinion, or so you have a relevant Thai law stating this?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Is this your educated opinion, or so you have a relevant Thai law stating this?

I can't give you a specific reference to the appropriate section of the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code but sift through the following by all means:-

https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thailand-civil-code-part-1.html

Also have a look here:-

https://tastythailand.com/what-to-do-if-a-loved-one-dies-while-visiting-thailand/

It has also been covered many times on here:-

15 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I can't give you a specific reference to the appropriate section of the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code but sift through the following by all means:-

https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thailand-civil-code-part-1.html

Also have a look here:-

https://tastythailand.com/what-to-do-if-a-loved-one-dies-while-visiting-thailand/

It has also been covered many times on here:-

Also keep in mind that the ultimate correct version of the law is the Thai language version and then the official (repeat official) English version.

Things written by commercial companies are not the official version of the law.

Statements made by local bank managers (and others) should never be taken as correct versions of the law. 

On 5/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, Sealbash said:

Your friend is talking rubbish

Sealbash, you responded to this:

Not sure if my English friend who has lived here for a good few years is talking rubbish, but
he says that often when the police arrive at the house, one of the first things they demand is the passport and bank books, and sometimes any cash and gold assets.

Fact is the police do ask for and get the passport.  Secondly, they have been known to remove cash from the safe box of the deceased.

Sealbash, you responded to this:

Fact is the police do ask for and get the passport.  Secondly, they have been known to remove cash from the safe box of the deceased.

Not in my experience. 4 different occasions

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

I had a friend passed away on me about 2 years ago.  some observations...

1.  hospital asked me to pay the hospital bill even though he had tricare that would pay for everything.

2.  usa consulate told me my friend who had just died has a wife.  I've knew him for 15+ years.  and never once seen a wife.

3.  the manager of the condo that he rented confiscated all his belongings the day he died.  took everything.

many other strange things popped up after his death.  I was his friend but I didn't want to get into any of it.  so, I told anybody who asked me about my friends affairs both personal and professional that I didn't want anything to do with it all.

I think some of these people had some bad intentions in mind because after I told them my status on my friends matters, they thanked me for not getting involved.

lesson I learned from my friend dying on me...  make a will.  it will save your friends a lot of headache.

• 1 month later...

My friend just died, he was very sick for a long time and his wife was taking care of him, good lady, paid out of her own business as he had little money. He also had dimensia for a long time and could not advise her.  She kept him alive by constantly bringing him to the hospital for two years, which I finally got her to stop and bring him home. He would not want that, he was a shell but did not prepare in time.   She does  not know what to do, she wants to go to the embassy but i seen no appointments for a long time.   what should she do as far as America is concerned, he has no one in America and she is not sure what to do.  Any help would be appreciated, she asked me what can she do but i haven't a clue.  They have been married legally for many years and she wants to do the funeral here as he has no family in the US.  Not even sure his visa is up to date as he has been hospital bed ridden for years. He has no assets, she basically pays for everything over his social security.  Does teh embassy have to be informed or can she do the funeral.  she is that but a christian.

The hospital/police (depending on where death took place) will notify the Embassy but she should call them to report death of American Citizen and let them know she is his wife and wants to take care of funeral (as if he did not list her with them they would not know and body can not be released without Embassy approval.  The number in Bangkok is 02205-4049.  If not workday can call  02205-4000 and ask for Duty Officer to report death of American and she should have his full name and social security number available and advise them she is his legal wife.

• Like 1

thanks for the help, i did find this at the US  embassy and it is working   

If you are reporting a new death, serious illness, violent crime against, or arrest of an American citizen in Thailand (excluding Chiang Mai province), you can also call the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok directly:

Embassy Bangkok (Emergency):                               

·         From inside Thailand: 02-205-4000

• 1 year later...