What to do when an Ex Pat dies in Thailand.

nong38

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

All mandates cease eases upon death (not notification of it).

A Bank is protected until advice is received, but anyone accessing funds after death is acting fraudulently.

However, I agree that the other  party inherits by succession and in practical terms no one is going to do anything about it.

Bank personnel don't like it when someone does this and become less than cooperative with the survivor if assistance is needed in the future.  

Case in point -- an expat wife did this, the bank wasn't happy but didn't "do anything".  Down the road she needed their help because it was discovered that Hubby hadn't been filing U.S. income tax returns or complying with FATCA.  She couldn't find all their old bankbooks, something needed to determine high bank balances for the year for the FATCA reports.  Bank refused to give her records of her husband's old bank account and their joint account without a court order.  If she'd been on friendlier terms with them, they probably would have requested this information from their home office without being so pissy about it.

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

When I asked my banker she said "mai pen rai"

I agree with that result - provided the person who has done the post-death withdrawals is the sole heir (either by Thai law or via the Will); otherwise, the legitimate heir(s) could have a problem with it.

Nancy, I suspect what you mean by "down the road" is after the widow's letters of authority expired.  If her letters were still valid (i.e., she was the legitimate executor with full powers from the Court at the time), I would have been rather hostile with the bank (and/or asked the Court to find the bank in contempt). 

Edited by CMBob
1 hour ago, CMBob said:

I agree with that result - provided the person who has done the post-death withdrawals is the sole heir (either by Thai law or via the Will); otherwise, the legitimate heir(s) could have a problem with it.

Nancy, I suspect what you mean by "down the road" is after the widow's letters of authority expired.  If her letters were still valid (i.e., she was the legitimate executor with full powers from the Court at the time), I would have been rather hostile with the bank (and/or asked the Court to find the bank in contempt). 

Nope, sadly the executor is the widow's son in the U.S. who was the one who discovered that dear old Dad hadn't been filing income tax returns or FATCA for years.  He hired a Chiang Mai lawyer to help mom.  I'm staying out of this one.  All I did is help her to "read" the bankbooks she did have and to send an email to the son detailing the high bank balance for each account for each year.

When guys "take shortcuts", like not filing income tax returns, FATCA reports, not having Final Wills, etc, etc, they have no idea of the mess they leave behind for their loved ones to clean up -- often reducing them to poverty in the process.

As we have got onto talking about PROBATE recently this begs another question, which is how long does the probate take to complete? This could be a how long is a bit of string but there should be a minimum time if everything falls into place quickly and the maximum likely could be whatever. The reason I ask this is that the our other half will likely have to wait for the completion of the process before she can access funds and what does she do in the mean time?

It might be prudent to collect a money transfer form from the local bank to trasnfer money into her account if things begin to look bleak, one form signed by you for each account of yours with a covering letter.

Have them ready, just sign them and date them and know where to find them.

This I would suggest could be handy with the recent thoughts on joint accounts and how we/banks/authorities might view the situation.

One question always leads to another.

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

As we have got onto talking about PROBATE recently this begs another question, which is how long does the probate take to complete? This could be a how long is a bit of string but there should be a minimum time if everything falls into place quickly and the maximum likely could be whatever. The reason I ask this is that the our other half will likely have to wait for the completion of the process before she can access funds and what does she do in the mean time?

I've been told 5 to 6 months but that's the way it works if there are no snags or complications.

Presuming your spouse/partner is the named executor in your Thai will and is the heir to your estate, then your spouse/partner ought to be able to access your funds (using her letters of authority) within a month or so of your death; however, presuming all funds are in your name, it seems to me that it's your responsibility to make sure that your spouse/partner has adequate funds for expenses (including funeral/cremation expenses) for at least some reasonable period of time following your death.  I suppose cash in a safe and/or a separate account in your spouse's/partner's name could help solve any shortfall problem.

Life insurance policies often will pay out to the beneficiary fairly soon after being presented with a death certificate -- usually within 2 - 4 weeks.  Also, sometimes Thai banks will release funds without probate upon being presented with the Final Will and death certificate if the sole heir is the joint account holder and spouse or parent.  I've seen this happen several times with Bangkok Bank KSK.  That process takes about a month from when the documents are presented to when the funds are released if the amount is over 50,000 baht.  Smaller amounts can be released more quickly because there is no need for the head office in Bangkok to approve.

But, things can get messy if the deceased has children from multiple marriages, ex-spouses, assets overseas, failure to file income taxes, etc.  

As mentioned, the best solution is for each party to have an account only in their name with enough to fund several months of living.

We do both have Life Policies and 4 weeks seems to me to be about the right time for those to pay out. They last for 11 years and then payout a lump sum assuming the recipient is still about and if that happens a lot the cash problems are then solved. These schemes do have a cut off age for applicants so if you want to look into one of these then look now, ours is with Thailife.com through Krungsri, SCB also do them with the company so I guess other banks do the same, its a popular product here.

Our lawyer lives about 1/2 km away which was handy and will continue to be so so long as he stays there!

So everyone should expect to provide petty cash of about 100,000bts, thats about 50k for the funeral and 50k for living expenses until things come to a close, something for everyone to consider how and when you deal with this.

100,000 baht may not be enough.  There may also be final hospital expenses and usually the hospital will not release the body until the bill is paid.  We each have at least 200,000 baht in our own accounts and I'm hoping our credit cards won't be frozen.  I doubt it -- they're issued by banks in the U.S.  Plus life insurance policies that should pay out within a month or so.

Steve''s combined hospital bills came to just under 200,000 bts. The private one charged for everything they did not miss a trick, 169,000 bts for 10 days. At least at the Government hospital he got an English speaking doctor!

The hospital costs are a bit of string and like Nancy says they wont release the body until the bills are paid.

I have been to the bank today and collected a few transfer slips and withdrawal slips, I also asked what was the position with death and my accounts when would the accounts be frozen and when would the funds be available to my partner.................30 days hmm a bit lost here in translation so am having to assume that as soon as the death certificate is shown to the bank they will then be blocked and 30 days for the process of winding up the estate to be completed, 30 days, nice figure and for a simple wind up that be possible without complications but expect it to be longer.

So, bearing the above in mind we had a chat about it and how we would like things to happen, the first is that if either of us were in hospital but dying we would like to be taken home to die.

If my partner finds me dead in bed ( bit of poetry there ) I told her to fill out the withdrawal slip for the joint account and withdraw most of it, on the way back call in and see the headman and tell him there is a dead man in my bed!! Start the ball rolling.

I only have one bank here in Thailand so it should be a one call stop to tie everything up and I will now look into how I can arrange/if I can arrange a transfer of my investments to my lady and as a prelude for this if it might be possible I will get her investments to mirror mine which they should/may make things simpler and cost effective.

All the problems above can be avoided with planning

I go for surgery soon, I am a retired Chartered Accountant

I have living will no life support, and no money wasted on lost cause, (now on my hospital file)

Donor card for my body done ( also on my hospital file)

All my investments in wifes  sole name and outside Thailand ( I have control and  irrevocable power of attorney)

UK bank account in joint names minimal balance

I put car into wife name ten days ago

My pension advisers have approved her letter requesting payment of fund, just needs death cert attaching, they agree and understand what I am doing

Houses here of course already in wife's name

Isle of man Bank account joint names will be minimal balance temporarily

Before surgery will clear Thai accounts to wife's account

On some accounts will be setting up automatic transfers 28 days forward, and cancell when I recover

In the event I do not survive all letters and envelopes, have been done just needs wife to date and sign and post, ( I have not put stamps on ! do not want to waste money ! ) and all then drops to her sole accounts

When I recover will reverse some of this, I actually have full control of all, even my wifes accounts via internet with my cell phone

No probate, no funeral, with planning and trust easy; also no costly trusts to set up, and maintain

Otherwise, probate UK, , Thailand,  Gibraltar ,  Isle of Man and Singapore, and many lawyers fees, and maybe a long time to close down,  in the UK if a professional executor and trustee used, once probate and tax office clearance obtained,  executors will insist on waiting a year in case claims might come in, they did this on my mothers estate, she was 92 and the lawyers argued there could be an unknown child, legally they were correct morally no

My wife no four has loved, looked after and cared for me for ten years, this is the least I can do, 

The UK embassy have advised for my body to be released their consent is not required as I am legally married, also they have no register for UK nationals living here

If I have missed anything any input appreciated

Edited by al007
On 10/14/2017 at 2:38 PM, charliebadenhop said:

So if someone has signing power on an account they are technically breaking the law if they take out any funds after the other party to the account dies?

Do you know of anywhere I can read about this?

When I asked my banker she said "mai pen rai"

Definately breaking the law, when my bank suggested this and I said breaking the law they agreed and I said no

Joint accounts can sometimes also require probate which is why the bulk of my assets are in wifes sole name

The other joint accounts there are letters to be posted signed by both of us  giving instructions to transfer the balance to acc ******** at ********, and then close the account, if you ask them to close the account and  then transfer the balance this could also take 2/3 weeks, get the money out first then close

3 hours ago, al007 said:

All the problems above can be avoided with planning

I go for surgery soon, I am a retired Chartered Accountant

I have living will no life support, and no money wasted on lost cause, (now on my hospital file)

Donor card for my body done ( also on my hospital file)

All my investments in wifes  sole name and outside Thailand ( I have control and  irrevocable power of attorney)

UK bank account in joint names minimal balance

I put car into wife name ten days ago

My pension advisers have approved her letter requesting payment of fund, just needs death cert attaching, they agree and understand what I am doing

Houses here of course already in wife's name

Isle of man Bank account joint names will be minimal balance temporarily

Before surgery will clear Thai accounts to wife's account

On some accounts will be setting up automatic transfers 28 days forward, and cancell when I recover

In the event I do not survive all letters and envelopes, have been done just needs wife to date and sign and post, ( I have not put stamps on ! do not want to waste money ! ) and all then drops to her sole accounts

When I recover will reverse some of this, I actually have full control of all, even my wifes accounts via internet with my cell phone

No probate, no funeral, with planning and trust easy; also no costly trusts to set up, and maintain

Otherwise, probate UK, , Thailand,  Gibraltar ,  Isle of Man and Singapore, and many lawyers fees, and maybe a long time to close down,  in the UK if a professional executor and trustee used, once probate and tax office clearance obtained,  executors will insist on waiting a year in case claims might come in, they did this on my mothers estate, she was 92 and the lawyers argued there could be an unknown child, legally they were correct morally no

My wife no four has loved, looked after and cared for me for ten years, this is the least I can do, 

The UK embassy have advised for my body to be released their consent is not required as I am legally married, also they have no register for UK nationals living here

Very well put and pretty well planned I would say, there are always things we miss, but we aim to catch most, that the best we can do.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, al007 said:

Assuming you're UK domiciled, there's the small matter of inheritance tax.  If your transfers to your wife fall outside the limited spouse exemption (currently GBP 325,000) there will be a tax return to be filed and IHT to be paid.

37 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Assuming you're UK domiciled, there's the small matter of inheritance tax.  If your transfers to your wife fall outside the limited spouse exemption (currently GBP 325,000) there will be a tax return to be filed and IHT to be paid.

Yes IHT is a cheek and I am currently working on how to deal with it in an advantageous way for others.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

As a retired Chartered Accountant I comment as follows

Maybe not clear, transfers to a UK Domiciled wife are fully exempt no tax to pay

If you transfer to a Thai  resident and non domiciled wife only overall exemption of approx. £300,000 ish will be available, and if your estate is split between many beneficiaries then the Thai wife will not get the full exemption

Note you can be Non Resident for UK taxes, but still Domiciled and liable to IHT

Residence and Domicile are complicated, and very separate issues if your assets are substantial you need expert advice, this applies even if you have a house worth say £400,000, you need advice from a properly qualified tax expert, who is likely to be a Chartered Accountant, or a UK lawyer, most Financial Advisers will tell you they know BUT they do not, when going for surgery I want the properly qualified person, same applies for tax

Financial Advisers in the UK are risky but at least regulated, outside the UK they are maybe mostly only interested in lining their own properties, I also put lawyers and Accountants outside the UK and USA into the same category

There are too many boiler house scammers around and even on TVF I have been approached by them, usually the question can you give me your UK FCA authorisation number so I can check, which is easy to do on their website; sends them packing

I had an unsolicited email last week offering a guaranteed 8% return, I replied I was looking for a home for a spare £2.0M and I wanted it quickly, they quoted a UK London address as well, I asked for their FCA registration so we could proceed, they never came back to me, I wonder why !

To release assets after death, in the UK probate has to be granted and to get this, tax clearance, including IHT must be obtained, some IHT can be due even before assets like house is sold, and if not paid penalties and interest may apply

Remember IHT applies to world wide assets including things like condos that may be in your name in Thailand

There is a lot to be said for not owning UK property, or assets as you get older say 65/70, and before that having life cover to cover the potential liability for IHT, written in trust so it does not get caught by IHT itself

If when you die and there are no UK assets; no probate required and probably the question of IHT will never be raised, and the argument as to whether or not UK domiciled will never require discussion

Investments and shares can also be transferred outside the UK net while still alive, if left with a UK broker again will be subject to probate

I have used Interactive Brokers to hold shares outside the UK, at one stage I used Interactive Brokers in the UK, I had to close that account and open another one not in the UK using my Thai address, and was all done online and paperless, and easy to do, note if it is a joint account it may still get frozen on death, there are also Singapore and Hongkong options and many others

Remember the  IHT tax office will hold all the cards without their agreement you can not get probate granted and release assets

Plan ahead and you can maybe save a lot of potential tax totally legally, change things after death and you could get involved in evasion with nasty penalties including jail, for those involved, and professional trustees and advisers will not allow

The tax people get more sophisticated every year

Thailand is very tax friendly but again in time it may change, so also if your wife is resident here maybe keep assets outside Thailand, remember so long as income generated outside Thailand is not remitted in the year in which it is earnt there is no tax to pay either for Thais or Foreigners, this may change

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NancyL said:

al007 -- you've done a heap of planning, but nowhere do I see a mention of a Final Will.   Is there some reason you're trying to avoid having a Final Will?

Yes I have a Will in English and in Thai, covers assets globally, in the same document, have had it since I came here, my wife is my executor, a clause in there if I die without having seen a doctor for three months must be an autopsy for wife to inherit, also in the case of dispute the english language takes precedence, I sort of presume everyone would have this basic in place, and of course far too many don't

I strongly urge those who have no will to do so, it is easy to do and not expensive, and very unkind to love ones not to have

This was prepared by a Thai Lawyer, and witnessed by him, a copy in his office and one in my house

My wife is under strict instructions to stay away from this lawyer he threatened me once with defamation, when I asked if something had been done correctly, I was very happy he exposed this bad side of himself, it served as a warning, he is neither executor nor anything so far as my will is concerned

When I did this will, I was not certain my wife was trustworth, ten years on I feel very strongly she is

Because the way assets held my wife also has will leaving everything to me, VERY important especially with the roads here in Thailand

I am very much hoping to come out of this forthcoming surgery OK, and be around for a few more years in my home in Thailand which we love, but life is scary at the moment, there is a saying the mind is a dangerous place and should not be visited alone and without a good flashlight

But you Nancy have to much experience of messes created because of bad planning and mistrust

Some will say I am over the top, but other than time and thought it has cost little, and protects my loved one, it is the summation of two years research, and looking at many options including expensive trusts, I am comfortable today not rich, and so have to be conscious I do not want professionals taking a too large share of the cake

My assets pass to my wife unfettered with no restrictions, but she and the broker have my wishes on how to proceed, in line with what Warren Buffet says

I have told my wife trust no one not even the broker,  ( she will say to family she has not been well provided for) follow what I say and she should with a little luck be well set up for life, and able to continue our existing lifestyle, Four Alsations, Beautiful  couple of houses and gardens and three helpers in the house and gardens, and able to provide education for her teenage stepsons

My wife knows everything, I trust her ! ! ! she has worked very hard and deserves to be looked after

My children, 40 plus, in the UK know what is happening and as my daughter says my wife deserves what she might get, my son is mad, ( he owns four houses in London that I helped him get )and says why not his children, and my wife is under orders if he turns up threatening, as he has suggested, my wish is call the police and have him removed

I must not forget to mention I say a very big thank you God as well, and will also visit the temple before going to hospital, I am non religious 

• Like 2

One thing in my plans I did not mention, is my wife knows the password to my computer and on it is a folder on the desk top called codes

This has a password, same as my computer has on it is a list of all my user names passwords, and all those of my wife as well, in todays age we need to be able to pass all this on as well, it covers everything from banks cards to stores, lazarda, ebay etc etc, it is almost impossible to remember them all and in todays age also not sensible to have only one

it also has other info like UK national insurance number, passport numbers and other important information, all bank account numbers brokers contacts etc etc

Edited by al007
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, al007 said:

One thing in my plans I did not mention, is my wife knows the password to my computer and on it is a folder on the desk top called codes

This has a password, same as my computer has on it is a list of all my user names passwords, and all those of my wife as well, in todays age we need to be able to pass all this on as well, it covers everything from banks cards to stores, lazarda, ebay etc etc, it is almost impossible to remember them all and in todays age also not sensible to have only one

it also has other info like UK national insurance number, passport numbers and other important information, all bank account numbers brokers contacts etc etc

Does she have your ThaiVisa account info?  We'd like to know the outcome of your surgery, you know.  

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2017 at 5:42 PM, NancyL said:

Nope, sadly the executor is the widow's son in the U.S. who was the one who discovered that dear old Dad hadn't been filing income tax returns or FATCA for years.  He hired a Chiang Mai lawyer to help mom.  I'm staying out of this one.  All I did is help her to "read" the bankbooks she did have and to send an email to the son detailing the high bank balance for each account for each year.

When guys "take shortcuts", like not filing income tax returns, FATCA reports, not having Final Wills, etc, etc, they have no idea of the mess they leave behind for their loved ones to clean up -- often reducing them to poverty in the process.

"When guys "take shortcuts", like not filing income tax returns, FATCA reports, not having Final Wills, etc, etc, they have no idea of the mess they leave behind for their loved ones to clean up -- often reducing them to poverty in the process."

Well said, and I see it coming in the near future with an old UK guy, very successful businessman in 3 countries, very wealthy in term of land and property, ongoing business income and cash in the UK, Australia and he owns multiple condos around Pattaya.

Friends have been trying for years to take him to a lawyer to prepare his will.

He flatly refuses with the retort - 'it's not necessary, everybody knows who should get a share'. Friends have tried to get him to expand on this but he just refuses to talk further.

He will leave quite some unnecessary mess. 

Edited by scorecard
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:28 AM, al007 said:

Yes I have a Will in English and in Thai, covers assets globally, in the same document, have had it since I came here, my wife is my executor, a clause in there if I die without having seen a doctor for three months must be an autopsy for wife to inherit, also in the case of dispute the english language takes precedence, I sort of presume everyone would have this basic in place, and of course far too many don't

I strongly urge those who have no will to do so, it is easy to do and not expensive, and very unkind to love ones not to have

This was prepared by a Thai Lawyer, and witnessed by him, a copy in his office and one in my house

My wife is under strict instructions to stay away from this lawyer he threatened me once with defamation, when I asked if something had been done correctly, I was very happy he exposed this bad side of himself, it served as a warning, he is neither executor nor anything so far as my will is concerned

When I did this will, I was not certain my wife was trustworth, ten years on I feel very strongly she is

Because the way assets held my wife also has will leaving everything to me, VERY important especially with the roads here in Thailand

I am very much hoping to come out of this forthcoming surgery OK, and be around for a few more years in my home in Thailand which we love, but life is scary at the moment, there is a saying the mind is a dangerous place and should not be visited alone and without a good flashlight

But you Nancy have to much experience of messes created because of bad planning and mistrust

Some will say I am over the top, but other than time and thought it has cost little, and protects my loved one, it is the summation of two years research, and looking at many options including expensive trusts, I am comfortable today not rich, and so have to be conscious I do not want professionals taking a too large share of the cake

My assets pass to my wife unfettered with no restrictions, but she and the broker have my wishes on how to proceed, in line with what Warren Buffet says

I have told my wife trust no one not even the broker,  ( she will say to family she has not been well provided for) follow what I say and she should with a little luck be well set up for life, and able to continue our existing lifestyle, Four Alsations, Beautiful  couple of houses and gardens and three helpers in the house and gardens, and able to provide education for her teenage stepsons

My wife knows everything, I trust her ! ! ! she has worked very hard and deserves to be looked after

My children, 40 plus, in the UK know what is happening and as my daughter says my wife deserves what she might get, my son is mad, ( he owns four houses in London that I helped him get )and says why not his children, and my wife is under orders if he turns up threatening, as he has suggested, my wish is call the police and have him removed

I must not forget to mention I say a very big thank you God as well, and will also visit the temple before going to hospital, I am non religious 

Well done for trying to cover everything and get it tidied up, when the time comes it is best if its all addressed and made as simple as possible for those who have to deal with things.

Good luck with health issues.

On 9/13/2017 at 9:24 PM, Sheryl said:

3 - This firm specializes in expat funeral/cremation etc. Their prices are reasonable and they can do anything form a no frills cremation/burial to a full funeral or repatriation of remains - whatever is desired. I have dealt with them and there was no sales pitch or pressure to go with anything more elaborate than what the relatives wanted (which in the case I dealt with was no funeral,  basic cremation and the ashes in a wooden urn).  They will also take care of the death certificate, getting the letter form the Embassy, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/allisonmonkhousethailand/

They offer prepaid funeral plans so it is possible to set everything up and pay for it in advance (does not have to include a funeral, could be just burial or cremation - whatever.)

That Facebook page no longer seems to be valid, as best as I can tell...

There is still the Australia based Monkhouse operation:

https://www.facebook.com/AllisonMonkhouseFD/

And then, the Thai part of that operation seems to have become housed under a Jomtien law firm.

http://www.thai888.com/

They also seem to have an entry and reviews under Google Maps and the name

"Thai888 Law Company and Allison Monkhouse Funeral Directors in Jomtien"

But I can't seem to link to it here.

Many Thai temples will do cremation at nery reasonable cost.  In our area usually in the form of a donation.  You will notice an ornate little elevated house with a very rall chimbney.

This is a web site for Chang Mai but gives a lot of info, so much info that it makes the process seem complicated.  http://www.lannacarenet.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2016Funeral-AssistanceSEP2016.docx.html

If it is a Thai bank, then a joint account will frozen upon your death until your estate is probated.  A "cosigner" is not is not assumed to be the co-owner of the funds.  If your daughter withdraws funds after your death, she could get into trouble, especially if challenged by other heirs.  If someone at your bank told you that your daughter could continue to use a joint account after your death, then you were told wrong.  It probably was a misunderstanding due to language problems.

Sadly, as Nancy said in the above, joint accounts in Thailand ain't what they are in the West. The below quote says as much:

If any Thai assets are registered in joint names (including that of the deceased)  then a Thai Court Order will have to be obtained to make any changes in the joint registration (in other words in Thailand the surviving joint owners do not automatically inherit the underlying jointly owned assets). This is particularly the case for jointly owned bank accounts where a court order authorising any change must be obtained.

http://www.probateresealing.co.uk/services/probate-resealing/thailand/

However, if you went by the advice of Thai888, a legal firm here in Thailand, you just might be confused:

One way to ensure that the partner will be able to access some funds is for the foreigner to set up a joint account with the partner and deposit some money in that account. A joint account is not frozen when the foreigner passes away; the partner still has access.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwjYnteQ44vZAhUIQ48KHd9JCfsQFghRMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcecnews.com%2FpermNL%2Fmar08_2015meetingsummary.pdf&usg=AOvVaw03d0ddWI18HISRMl5xebuf

I asked an employee of Thai888, Blackjack -- a contributor here -- to please clarify the probate implications of joint accounts. He never responded.

Thus, I think we can assume that your loved one, named in a joint account, might be cut off by a bank manager who knows of your joint owner's death. And, if this resulted in the freezing of the account, no funds available until probate unwinds several months down stream. But, as some wiser folks have said, a bird in the hand, especially by a joint owner, and sole undisputed beneficiary, is the way to go.

• Like 1

My good friend Aloo7,( he is doing ok and remains ever optimistic !) has donor cards both at Chulalongkorn in Bangkok and at Srinakarin University hospital in KhonKaen, easy to do present your pink identity card hey presto, I just have KhonKaen

Body goes to assist learning, considered ultimate gesture in Thai faith

Funeral dealt with, no fuss, no cost and helping others sounds good to me, no involvement required from Embassy required so long as you properly married

• Like 1
Does anyone on this thread know the situation with an Australian expat?
I have Thai and Australian wills which both state all assets in Thailand go to my Thai GF, and all assets in Australia go to my son and sister. Don't know what the story is with a death certificate, though.
Post # 40 is good advice...Lanna Lawyers in CM.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 9:24 PM, Sheryl said:

Thank you for this, I am going to pin the topic.

Would like to add:

1 - Some Embassies have a system whereby their nationals in Thailand can register their whereabouts and emergency contact info. If your Embassy has this system, avail of it. That way they have ready access to info on whom to contact.

2 - If you have any assets in your home country, a certificate from your Embassy will be needed to confirm your death (similiar to a death certificate, though the actual death certificate will be the Thai one. The Thai death certificate has to be submitted to the Embassy and they will issue a document called something like "Notification of Death Abroad" which can then be used  with home country banks etc.

3 - This firm specializes in expat funeral/cremation etc. Their prices are reasonable and they can do anything form a no frills cremation/burial to a full funeral or repatriation of remains - whatever is desired. I have dealt with them and there was no sales pitch or pressure to go with anything more elaborate than what the relatives wanted (which in the case I dealt with was no funeral,  basic cremation and the ashes in a wooden urn).  They will also take care of the death certificate, getting the letter form the Embassy, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/allisonmonkhousethailand/

They offer prepaid funeral plans so it is possible to set everything up and pay for it in advance (does not have to include a funeral, could be just burial or cremation - whatever.)

At this point in time 25/3/18 Allison Monkhouse due to internal issues no longer are active in Thailand. they are in the process of creating a New company in Thailand and have assured me that they will my Contract when I pop of to Valhalla and the same goes for others who were covered by Allison Monkhouse. should any one want a new contact point for them please PM me and I can arrange it for them  Regards Dezza 

On 3/25/2018 at 6:39 PM, Ban Phe Dezza said:

At this point in time 25/3/18 Allison Monkhouse due to internal issues no longer are active in Thailand. they are in the process of creating a New company in Thailand and have assured me that they will my Contract when I pop of to Valhalla and the same goes for others who were covered by Allison Monkhouse. should any one want a new contact point for them please PM me and I can arrange it for them  Regards Dezza 

I seem to have left out the word Honour in my Message the important point is that they  will honour their existing contracts regards Dezza