Teach Thailand without formal Degree

sklmeeera

6 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Baggage?? What baggage?

Don't look around this forum - check the Thai expatriate Facebook groups for an idea of the way many TEFL teachers are hatched.

Either some guy'sfallen in love with a local girl and wants her to stop working as a "cashier" or he can't find a decent paying job back home with the tiddlywinks degree from community college but, usually, he/she's run out of money but desperately wants to stay "lit"

All the unwashed will chip in saying "Teach English, bro/sis" and "it's easy, all you need is to look Western".

They don't give a monkey's about their students - they just want to fund the craic

Wow, someone in the know then.....?   eyes.gif.08a11a6054924c474db3b222193d21bb.gif

15 hours ago, mike888 said:

The "degree supremacists" on here dont understand int he real world noone gives a shit about your degree after your first job. Especially in business (not big corporate) and creative industries real world exp always trumps degree.

To think that these glorified babysitters even need so many qualifications in a country with a such a shit education/indoctrination system to make 1-2K/month makes me laugh lol

Thailand always has something for every budget, so I'm sure some schools have harvard educated nobodies, and others will just hire some nigerians with fake degrees for 30% of a white guy.

BTW I have an MBA and an honors bachelor degree from an ivy league college so I know how worthless they really are.

Sure you do.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Wow, someone in the know then.....?   eyes.gif.08a11a6054924c474db3b222193d21bb.gif

That's right!

I've got a reasonable sample of acquaintances to know that what I wrote is true.

You, on the other hand........... almost every single viewpoint I've ever heard you put forward on this forum has been adopted/adapted in some way from some drivel you've gleaned from either the Daily Mail or Thaivisa.

Offer a rebuttal or go fish for likes somewhere else.

30 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

They don't give a monkey's about their students - they just want to fund the craic

It's these kinds of discussions that give me considerable pause, when I consider the training and quality of some doctors here... or when I mull the prospect of a future high speed train in Thailand....  or a nuclear power plant....

Ahh.... the wonderful Thai education system, where teachers don't need to be teachers, and where graduates don't necessarily need to learn or know anything... Cheating and cutting corners abounds...

33 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

That's right!

I've got a reasonable sample of acquaintances to know that what I wrote is true.

You, on the other hand........... almost every single viewpoint I've ever heard you put forward on this forum has been adopted/adapted in some way from some drivel you've gleaned from either the Daily Mail or Thaivisa.

Offer a rebuttal or go fish for likes somewhere else.

Really, I am impressed that you know everything and folk like me read the Daily Mail, which I don't..

I am also impressed that you follow my input on the forums to post your view point...sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif.d452fa22771cc33f3133a9beab3378c9.gif

3 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Baggage?? What baggage?

Don't look around this forum - check the Thai expatriate Facebook groups for an idea of the way many TEFL teachers are hatched.

Either some guy'sfallen in love with a local girl and wants her to stop working as a "cashier" or he can't find a decent paying job back home with the tiddlywinks degree from community college but, usually, he/she's run out of money but desperately wants to stay "lit"

All the unwashed will chip in saying "Teach English, bro/sis" and "it's easy, all you need is to look Western".

You suggested the majority of NES teachers in Thailand are losers who can't get a job back home or are after  pussy. 

You suggest anyone teaching are the "unwashed" and don't give a monkey's whatever about the students.

You claim to know about a bunch of English teachers as poor examples. Where are you meeting them? In the bar?

I happen to know far more who give a sh@# about the job and students than don't. They're doing their best in a flawed system.

Edited by duanebigsby
grammar

11 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

You suggested the majority of NES teachers in Thailand are losers who can't get a job back home or are after  pussy. 

You suggest anyone teaching are the "unwashed" and don't give a monkey's whatever about the students.

You claim to know about a bunch of English teachers as poor examples. Where are you meeting them? In the bar?

I happen to know far more who give a sh@# about the job and students than don't. They're doing their best in a flawed system.

I didn't suggest that "anyone" teaching is one of the "unwashed".

Professional teachers at universities and private institutions aren't unwashed.

Professional language teachers working at these places are paid well and deservedly so.

I do know a hell of a lot of TEFL teachers - I repeat - TEFL teachers who are shit and that's why they're paid shit.

What's wrong with meeting people in bars - just because you're in a bar doesn't mean you're pissed up does it??

Some were met in a bar, some at the gym, some at other places - what does it matter?

Almost to a man/woman, the first thing that comes out of their mouths is how soul-destroying their work is followed by "could you get me something in your line of work?"

When I ask why, they typically say, it was "just something to tide me over 'til I found something better"

On 11/01/2017 at 9:54 PM, mike888 said:

The "degree supremacists" on here dont understand int he real world noone gives a shit about your degree after your first job. Especially in business (not big corporate) and creative industries real world exp always trumps degree.

To think that these glorified babysitters even need so many qualifications in a country with a such a shit education/indoctrination system to make 1-2K/month makes me laugh lol

Thailand always has something for every budget, so I'm sure some schools have harvard educated nobodies, and others will just hire some nigerians with fake degrees for 30% of a white guy.

BTW I have an MBA and an honors bachelor degree from an ivy league college so I know how worthless they really are.

Sort of speaks to your own personal genius. Graduate from university, believe it was a waste of time but return to complete another two years and expense of the ivy league. You sat in class, squeezed by and learned much of nothing.

You can't teach public school without a degree. The Thai are consistent with every developed nations and most of the developing countries as well.

These threads should just be locked immediately. We can't openly discuss other illegal activities, why teaching illegally?

There are many persons with degrees in Thailand who are marginal teachers but the notion that those without degrees can do a better job or even an adequate job is just a laugh. Especially those under 50 yo.

Can these tools entertain a class? Sure. What are the odds they have exposure to academic writing, grammar, reading skills, forensics, literature and Humanities? Further, university set a foundation for my demeanor, classroom management, ability to successfully take on extracurricular activities, etc.

You just sound like some snowflake trust fund baby trolling the foru

You've wasted your life, sad but obvious.

Edited by ozmeldo

On 11/02/2017 at 5:33 PM, Thai Ron said:

Professional language teachers working at these places are paid well and deservedly so.

I do know a hell of a lot of TEFL teachers - I repeat - TEFL teachers who are shit and that's why they're paid shit.

What's wrong with meeting people in bars - just because you're in a bar doesn't mean you're pissed up does it??

Some were met in a bar, some at the gym, some at other places - what does it matter?

Almost to a man/woman, the first thing that comes out of their mouths is how soul-destroying their work is followed by "could you get me something in your line of work?"

When I ask why, they typically say, it was "just something to tide me over 'til I found something better"

I've had some difficult jobs here in Thailand. Nearly all made so first by agency foreign management, next by crazy, lazy and incompetent foreign teachers and finally by Thai admin and teachers who either never gave me a serious look until I was headed out the door or were just genuinely nasty people.

I've always loved my kids, even in the few throwaway classes I've had.

I've worked hard, taken risks and been rewarded. My kids are amazing and the Thai teachers wai me and call me Ajarn. They bring me tedious little grammar issues to discuss and help with writing their exams. This is no slouch school and I'm appreciated and respected.

Smart people learn fast how to avoid bad jobs. Unless mitigating factors, no serious teacher should be miserable and or making 28-38k a month.

Filipino's and Africans are not the answer that's for damn certain.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:33 PM, Thai Ron said:

You seem to have met a bunch of TEFLers who hate their jobs and are losers. I've had the opposite experience and have met a lot of decent, hard working, conscientious teachers. How do you know they were SHIT teachers?

Did you watch them teach? Are you a professional teacher and therefore able to judge? Or do you just disrespect anyone who would stoop to the lowly wage of 30k a month? Judgmental to say the least.

16 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Sort of speaks to your own personal genius. Graduate from university, believe it was a waste of time but return to complete another two years and expense of the ivy league. You sat in class, squeezed by and learned much of nothing.

You can't teach public school without a degree. The Thai are consistent with every developed nations and most of the developing countries as well.

These threads should just be locked immediately. We can't openly discuss other illegal activities, why teaching illegally?

There are many persons with degrees in Thailand who are marginal teachers but the notion that those without degrees can do a better job or even an adequate job is just a laugh. Especially those under 50 yo.

Can these tools entertain a class? Sure. What are the odds they have exposure to academic writing, grammar, reading skills, forensics, literature and Humanities? Further, university set a foundation for my demeanor, classroom management, ability to successfully take on extracurricular activities, etc.

You just sound like some snowflake trust fund baby trolling the foru

You've wasted your life, sad but obvious.

Im not a snowman or a trustfund baby. Sometimes I do think I wasted my life as most of the people I went to school with are all making millions and I am not, although I havent had to work for a large corporation for 3 years, while they still live under their desks.

Only reason I did a graduate degree was because I hated my career (too many scumbags on wall st) and that was the best way to do a switch. They also offered me 50% off of tuition because I did grad school same place as undergrad and got a few scholarships.

To be dead honest, you sound like a legit teacher but you definitely in the minority. Most teachers in thailand are just the dregs of society trying to "keep the party going". 

Forget it. You're an unqualified amateur so you'll be earning 20,000 baht a month if you're lucky. I know one or two unqualified so-called English teachers in Bangkok who are earning around that and eating all their meals on the street and sleeping without air con... Stay in your own country and get qualified. You can't afford to live in Thailand, stop dreaming.

3 minutes ago, Thainess said:

Forget it. You're an unqualified amateur so you'll be earning 20,000 baht a month if you're lucky. I know one or two unqualified so-called English teachers in Bangkok who are earning around that and eating all their meals on the street and sleeping without air con... Stay in your own country and get qualified. You can't afford to live in Thailand, stop dreaming.

Easy enough to "get qualified" in Thailand, as there are two places you take a CELTA course.  It's exactly the same course, whether you take it in Thailand or a western country.  Taking it in Thailand has advantages as the teaching practice is with Thai students.