Here's what the Full Moon Party looked like 25 years ago

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

When the Thai girl asked, have full moon in your country, I replied no, only in Thailand.

we had some great one's in Malibu in the 60's and 70's. one Lewis "Moon Fire" Marvin who was an heir to the S&H Green Stamp fortune, bought a mountain top over looking the Pacific, built a temple on top that was featured in the film "Harper" with Paul Newman.  it was right out of Fellini. 

On 15/09/2017 at 3:16 AM, seancbk said:

The old farts who've never done a pill, a tab of acid, a line of coke or any other fun chemicals will hate this thread.  

The 20 years I spent doing all of the above (and more) were the best years of my life.   

what happened after 20 years to make you stop?.....pmsl....just asking

On 9/14/2017 at 10:34 PM, Minnehaha said:

I don't recall there being as many people but not sure where this video is from.  Or where I was for that matter.  Ha.  Samui prob.  Koh pang nga was nothing.  Had a guy living there almost alone.  He had a pet bear.  Anybody remember him? 

The crowd looks like a bit of yaa maa was in mix.  That was the beginning of meth production on massive scale.  Also lots shrooms and ecstacy 

its clearly Hadrin beach in some of the shots, i suspect its vinyl and paradise pub, drop in was far more commercial.

re ya maa, it wasnt in play then e was. and you could purchase diet pills from any pharmacy with ease as well as speed. meth or yaba were simply not there. Acid was however readily available.

i came on to the scene in late 95.

at that time the road from thongsala to haadrin was non existent, so haadrin had alot of freedom being isolated from the rest of the island

47 minutes ago, wombat said:
On 15/09/2017 at 12:16 AM, seancbk said:

The old farts who've never done a pill, a tab of acid, a line of coke or any other fun chemicals will hate this thread.  

The 20 years I spent doing all of the above (and more) were the best years of my life.   

what happened after 20 years to make you stop?.....pmsl....just asking

Actually I didn't really stop.  I still listen to the music, I still like going to clubs and dancing.   As mentioned in an earlier comment the only thing that is different is I don't take drugs (despite wishing I still could).   

14 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Actually I didn't really stop.  I still listen to the music, I still like going to clubs and dancing.   As mentioned in an earlier comment the only thing that is different is I don't take drugs (despite wishing I still could).   

I just make sure the evening is worth the comedown, and a few times a year it definitely is.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:11 PM, connda said:

So, what's it look like today?

Almost same-same, but different with 100-fold more folks now on days nights...:wink:

wDSC03148_full-beach.jpg.77b9425619c19838482a1b92b4bf1607.jpg

(March 2015)

w20160916_DSC03813_paradise(1024w).jpg.9fd7954e0fdb47141f11bc0bbaa48048.jpg
(February 2016)

wDSC03482_fmp-2016-02-23(1024w).jpg.e771d75f2aa43dbeaecb0213dedacfc9.jpg
(February 2016)

DSC04018_mar2018(1024w).jpg.86e06127630c3541e579e3828d41ba28.jpg

–almost same-same, apart from iPhones (March 2018)

:smile:

On 9/15/2017 at 2:13 PM, lust said:

How do people think this is fun? 

Didn't look like fun to you? They didn't seem happy ? You must have lived a very boring life. I have never done drugs but used to hang out with friends who got a little high on MJ or drinks and had no problem dancing to good music with pretty girls and vasically just letting lose and forgetting the care of the world for a time. looks like and seemed like fun at the time.

On 9/15/2017 at 12:16 AM, seancbk said:

Most "old farts" have done some or all of those things but not for 20 years, we got over it in our late teens/early twenties and went on to build careers families and lives apart from those things.

On 11/28/2017 at 10:59 AM, geriatrickid said:

Doesn't matter now. He's most likely dead as are a majority of those who are in that video. Lifestyle choices have an impact  upon mortality rates.

What, dancing and having fun is lethal? I honestly think some people grew up old.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, geriatrickid said:

Doesn't matter now. He's most likely dead as are a majority of those who are in that video. Lifestyle choices have an impact  upon mortality rates.

Like you'd know... :cheesy:

But really you don't have a clue, because you were never "there", nor did you turn up, tune in and drop out...

On 9/14/2017 at 11:18 PM, johnnybangkok said:

It never ceases to amaze me how some people went straight from childhood to old miserable gits. I was there 2 years after this video was taken and I can tell you it was a complete hoot; great fun, great people, great drugs. The 90's were as cool as and if you didn't participate, you missed out bigly! 

I agree, The 90's in Thailand was great! That's before the large number of tourists starting coming and before the Thais become aggressive towards expats and tourists. 

I believe late 97 early 98 were probably the best time as the Thai baht lost value and hotels, girls etc didn't adjust for the change as fast as the value was being lost. 

15 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Most "old farts" have done some or all of those things but not for 20 years, we got over it in our late teens/early twenties and went on to build careers families and lives apart from those things.

What makes you think that doing "those things" and having a career and family are mutually exclusive?

2 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

What makes you think that doing "those things" and having a career and family are mutually exclusive?

I might be mistaken but most jobs tend to frown on employees tripping on acid or being stoned in the workplace, it's unreasonable I know but what can be said. And whilst the little lady may not mind her hubby coming home and doing a few lines, it's probably not the best influence for little Jimmi and Mary, but that's just me. I'm sure I'm out of touch regarding these things and if so, many things hitherto unexplained in the world around have just been made more clear.

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I might be mistaken but most jobs tend to frown on employees tripping on acid or being stoned in the workplace, it's unreasonable I know but what can be said. And whilst the little lady may not mind her hubby coming home and doing a few lines, it's probably not the best influence for little Jimmi and Mary, but that's just me. I'm sure I'm out of touch regarding these things and if so, many things hitherto unexplained in the world around have just been made more clear.

Again, are you so obtuse you cant understand that a friday night or saturday on the dance floor is not tripping at work?

How many children watch mom or  dad sit around all weekend with a beer or a glass of wine. The bit about the little lady says quite a bit about your world view.

And again, who said anything about doing drugs in front of the children?

17 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

Again, are you so obtuse you cant understand that a friday night or saturday on the dance floor is not tripping at work?

How many children watch mom or  dad sit around all weekend with a beer or a glass of wine. The bit about the little lady says quite a bit about your world view.

And again, who said anything about doing drugs in front of the children?

Ah, a closet junkie perhaps.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Ah, a closet junkie perhaps.

your world view is limited. 

you probably know countless functional alcoholics and may well be one yourself, yet someone who does coke or mdma once a month and has a bit of dance is a closet junkie.

your ignorance is not a bad thing however, it ensures our paths will never cross, to both our benefits.

12 hours ago, ericthai said:

I agree, The 90's in Thailand was great! That's before the large number of tourists starting coming and before the Thais become aggressive towards expats and tourists. 

I believe late 97 early 98 were probably the best time as the Thai baht lost value and hotels, girls etc didn't adjust for the change as fast as the value was being lost. 

i was here for that. domestically, not much value was lost at all. 

only those in a position to exchange currency suffered or benefited.

10 hours ago, HooHaa said:

i was here for that. domestically, not much value was lost at all. 

only those in a position to exchange currency suffered or benefited.

This was the Asian crisis, so people in Thailand lost billions of dollars. Property values dropped (as they were over valued) construction on building stopped almost over night. We had deposits down on 3 projects from customers in Thailand for factory expansions, that were all canceled with no return of any funds. So sorry that is incorrect.

18 hours ago, ericthai said:

This was the Asian crisis, so people in Thailand lost billions of dollars. Property values dropped (as they were over valued) construction on building stopped almost over night. We had deposits down on 3 projects from customers in Thailand for factory expansions, that were all canceled with no return of any funds. So sorry that is incorrect.

You miss my point.

Im talking about the spending potential of the thai baht itself throughout the crisis. On the ground, in thailand, the cost of things except imported goods did not change radically. Yes projects stopped, bangkok remained like a great mouth full of half grown and half rotting teeth for years as a result.

People (thais included) with cash offshore made out very well here, and folks with expenses offshore to be paid in thai baht most certainly suffered. There were car auctions around onnut and thonglor where you could pick up a benz cheap or many other luxury items from thai families with responsibilities outside thailand like children studying overseas

But a bowl of noodles, a bag of pineapple, a taxi, the rent, etc all remained the same with very little increase.

Thankfully, an entirely unloved and uncredited government under chuan knuckled down and made some very unpopular choices whose result were credited to their successors under thaksin, and the cycle of insanity we currently inhabit is the result.

The restraint and discretion of those with money offshore who made out well throught the crisis beagan to erode and the thaksin era began with a country back on its feet and once again ripe to be milked.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

As an aside, i just realized that this is a full moon party topic, and a ridiculous thing to me discussing here.

As a secondary aside, that crash in baht allowed me to acquire very inexpensive  property on the island and build a very nice house there for a fraction of what it would have cost even a year previous.

Cost of living on the island at that time was shockingly cheap as well, and prices did not change as a result of the exchange rate.

I certainly wouldnt do it now with the current baht.

Again apologies for the digression. 

Archived