Producers Against American Pork Import Proposal

snoop1130

Producers Against American Pork Import Proposal

by CityNews

ต้านหมูนอก-1-1024x768.jpg

CityNews – A hundred pig farmers from Chiang Mai and Lamphun marched to the City Hall in Chiang Mai, protesting against a proposal by the United States to import pork to Thailand.

On September 13th, after a rumour that United State Administration has been pushing Thai Government to buy pork from them, a protest group was formed to oppose the idea.

According to the President of the Northern Pig Producer Association, the pork meat in Thailand is already over supplied with the selling price at just 57 to 58 baht per kilo, of which 55 to 56 baht are incurred in costs leaving just 1 or 2 baht profit per kilo.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/producers-against-american-pork-import-proposal/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2017-9-14

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the President of the Northern Pig Producer Association, the pork meat in Thailand is already over supplied

Pretty dumb Thai farmers again trying to create mountains of things they can't sell, rather than diversify. According to their statement, the price is already low as they are producing too much - talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Thai's just hate competition, it's all got to be for them, hence, anything imported has huge taxes imposed on it.    Where are all the supposed tax free items imported from other Asean countries ?

My car, which is made in another ASEAN country, Malaysia, costs 500,000 baht more in Thailand than the same car, made in Malaysia, sold in Australia, which is not an ASEAN country. TAX FREE asean items in THAILAND? not when they can rip people off

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

protesting against a proposal by the United States to import pork to Thailand.

That's fine. The US might counter for example with higher import tariffs on Thai processed seafood. Thailand exported $1.1 billion in 2016 to the US.

https://ethailand.com/featured-news/top-10-thailands-exports-to-usa-and-europe-where-and-why-they-differ/2347/

Allowing US pork into Thailand would be a small price to pay to maintain Thailand's Most Favored Nation (MFN) tariff rate which limits the ability of U.S. exporters of such products to compete in the Thai market. https://www.export.gov/article?id=Thailand-Import-Tariffs

7 hours ago, johnno2 said:

My car, which is made in another ASEAN country, Malaysia, costs 500,000 baht more in Thailand than the same car, made in Malaysia, sold in Australia, which is not an ASEAN country. TAX FREE asean items in THAILAND? not when they can rip people off

Can you specify the model and why does it come to that problem in price - I saw - PROTON - PERODUA - seem to come into Thailand at "Normal" prices. 

"for goods originating within ASEAN, ASEAN members are to apply a tariff rate of 0-5 %"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASEAN_Free_Trade_Area

13 hours ago, johnno2 said:

That's interesting....what is the car?

Someone is making a bundle out of the pigs...we used to grow pigs on contract buy from breeder at about 20kg fatten them, using feed exclusively purchased from breeder sell them when they about 100 kg. Also we have no agreed price until pigs picked up...at the mercy of market forces ! Rarely was price good. So all we do is buy family a job and the cost of building.  The last straw when they pickup pigs market only pay 54c per kg...no profit, visit supermarket that evening and saw retail price....end pig farming then and there.  Nothing new multinationals 6 battlers nil !

I normally root for American products, but I agree with a few here that US pork is not needed here, the Thai pork is tastier, and what will they sell the imported pigs for??   Much higher priced I am sure............The US should back off that and export something that is not readily available in Thailand.  Whats next??  Chicken??  Our Dept of Agriculture needs their head examined,

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The selling price at just 57 to 58 baht per kilo",

where is it been sold at that price ?, the prices

in markets,supermarkets,and Makro is at least,

100 THB Kg.

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, Greenside said:

Probably the farm gate pre-slaughtered/processed price, given that these are farmers.

http://www.indexmundi.com/de/rohstoffpreise/?ware=schweinefleisch&wahrung=thb

World Market price is about that = 57 Baht kg, 27 B. a pound meat :wink:

Yes, smaller farmers only get 54 baht a kilo. That is of course liveweight. After slaughter you loose maybe 25%, so farmer gets about 72 baht deadweight. After slaughter costs, transport, wholesale and retail markup, you would have to pay more than 100 baht a kilo in the shops. Farmer  works 4-6 months and happy to make 5 baht a kilo and shoulders most of the risk. The rest in the chain work for a day or two and make twice as much.....

3 hours ago, rickudon said:

Yes, smaller farmers only get 54 baht a kilo. That is of course liveweight. After slaughter you loose maybe 25%, so farmer gets about 72 baht deadweight. After slaughter costs, transport, wholesale and retail markup, you would have to pay more than 100 baht a kilo in the shops. Farmer  works 4-6 months and happy to make 5 baht a kilo and shoulders most of the risk. The rest in the chain work for a day or two and make twice as much.....

Prices I found are for -  "Pigs (pork), 51-52% lean pigs" 

http://www.indexmundi.com/de/rohstoffpreise/?ware=schweinefleisch&wahrung=thb

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:32 AM, ALFREDO said:

Can you specify the model and why does it come to that problem in price - I saw - PROTON - PERODUA - seem to come into Thailand at "Normal" prices. 

"for goods originating within ASEAN, ASEAN members are to apply a tariff rate of 0-5 %"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASEAN_Free_Trade_Area

Thailand price for base models CX5........Mazda CX-5 ข้อมูลเฉพาะและราคา

2.0 C.............1,220,000 บาท

Australian price for comparable model, this is the new model which isn't for sale yet in Thailand, here they are still getting rid of the last model ....MAZDA
CX-5

Series
MY17.5 (KF SERIES 2)
MAXX SPORT (4x2)
A$34,390
MRLP
34,390 AUD =909,384.62THB

Edited by johnno2

59 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Really....I thought all the Mazdas were made in Thailand. My BT50 was. Learnt something new today. Thanks.

Construction of Mazda Malaysia's assembly facility, located on the same grounds as the body shop, started in May 2013. Construction will be completed and operations commence in the spring of next year. The Mazda CX-5, which is currently assembled at Inokom's factory, will then be moved to the new facility............http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/release/2013/201306/130605a.html

1 hour ago, johnno2 said:

Thailand price for base models CX5........Mazda CX-5 ข้อมูลเฉพาะและราคา

2.0 C.............1,220,000 บาท

Australian price for comparable model, this is the new model which isn't for sale yet in Thailand, here they are still getting rid of the last model ....MAZDA
CX-5

Series
MY17.5 (KF SERIES 2)
MAXX SPORT (4x2)
A$34,390
MRLP
34,390 AUD =909,384.62THB

Gee, a little off topic aren't we?  What in the heck has it got to do with the cost of pork?:wai:

18 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Gee, a little off topic aren't we?  What in the heck has it got to do with the cost of pork?:wai:

nothing, but as I was replying to post #3 where the question was asked "Where are all the supposed tax free items imported from other Asean countries ? ", it has a lot to do with Thailand imposing exorbitant taxes on ASEAN products. 

And in reply to this "So, better buy a car which is really made in Thailand. :thumbsup:", if there was a SUV made in Thailand which was of comparible quality and price to Mazda CX5 or Subaru XV, I would have :shock1:

Edited by johnno2