Getting a new passport to "reset your SETV count" sounds too good to be true

26 minutes ago, jamieoutlook said:

NZ passport is modern tech.

When you request a new one and receive it, the old one is auto cancelled online..none of the old cut the corners nonsense  now.

They cut the corner so it is obviously usleess cant be used by rum buggers or sold on.

Why do posters continue to raise topics such as these? Any and everything regarding retirement and marriage extensions of stay  have been discussed ad nauseum over the years, yet posters bring up the same old questions over and over again. If you are unable to find the answer to your question  from the numerous topics already discussed on TV then go to your Immigration Office; be polite and respectful, explain your circumstances and you will be treated accordingly. Finally if you hold an extension of stay based on retirement, marriage or whatever and you are not aware that you need a re-entry permit when you leave Thailand. then tough luck. it is nothing new.

2 hours ago, jamieoutlook said:

NZ passport is modern tech.

When you request a new one and receive it, the old one is auto cancelled online..none of the old cut the corners nonsense  now.

Thumbs up, New Zealand, for being a world leader in that regard. So how do they prevent you from still using the old one in some countries?

2 hours ago, glasswort said:

Why do posters continue to raise topics such as these? Any and everything regarding retirement and marriage extensions of stay  have been discussed ad nauseum over the years, yet posters bring up the same old questions over and over again. If you are unable to find the answer to your question  from the numerous topics already discussed on TV then go to your Immigration Office; be polite and respectful, explain your circumstances and you will be treated accordingly.

Well, I could imagine that:

1. There are new members.

2. Regulations, esp. in Thailand seem to change all the time: what was valid and correct in 2015 might be totally outdated in mid 2017.

3. You don't want to travel to, say Chaengwattana, and find out that one or two documents are missing, forcing you to do the long trip there again and again.

4. Being able to call there or send an email to your local immigration office would be very useful, but for obvious reasons this is not possible, except, of course, if you're fluent in Thai and happen to get the 'right' person on the line.

5. Thanks to the fact, that every little immigration office is their own fiefdom with their 'special' rules and requirements, creates a lot of confusion.

6. Isn't that the idea of the forum, to exchange information, experience and advice? Of course one could create a post each for marriage, and retirement visas, pinning them to the top, and updating them regularly, if changes occur.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thumbs up, New Zealand, for being a world leader in that regard. So how do they prevent you from still using the old one in some countries?

Thumbs up indeed for making such a well respected and high tech passport.

I guess that if you are going to try to enter some 3rd world country without any scanning abilities you may get away with it, unless of course it had actually expired already.

In the same scenario ,If a 3rd party has possession of it, unless they were a dead ringer for you, in the two pics which are built into the plastic page, [can't replace the photo, as in others ]there is probably not much chance of using it.

I presume that if the NZ authorities have gone to so much trouble to make such a good passport initially, they they would have some other built in protection.,

Because Thai consular at Vientiane will give a red stamp when they see 4 TR Visas in the same Passport which means they won't issue that Passport any more after that.

If you leave a new passport with 0 Visas in it, they will add up to 4 inside the new Passport before they red stamp you.

With that said, the Thai consular can issue the Visa but when you get to Immigration, he will still see how long you have been in Thailand and see your old Visas on the monitor and it will be up to him if he decides to let you in or not.  Getting a new Passport just allows you to get a fresh new Visa from Vientiane after doing 4 back to back Visa runs. 

So essentially you can do 8 Visa runs to vientiane with 2 Passports.... But the question is, at which point will the IO deny you?? Anyone ever get 8 TR Visas from 2 Passports and still get let in at Immigration??

29 minutes ago, acenase said:

Anyone ever get 8 TR Visas from 2 Passports and still get let in at Immigration??

Some have managed a lot more than 8 TR visas and still been allowed entry. This is even with those visas being back-to-back. Whether this will continue is a good question. Some immigration officials at airports are taking a jaundiced view of the practice though, strictly legally, they are powerless to stop it unless there is evidence of illegal working.

41 minutes ago, acenase said:

.... But the question is, at which point will the IO deny you?? Anyone ever get 8 TR Visas from 2 Passports and still get let in at Immigration??

Many more than that.  The only places you would have a problem are if entering at airports or the Poipet/Aranya land-border.  They follow the actual laws everywhere else - for now.

I would, however, caution anyone making long-term plans, to consider this policy could be officially changed by police-order at any time.  So far, when changing other policies, they have not touched this one (no visa-count or days/yr limit on Tourist Visa use) - likely because one has to demonstrate some degree of financial independence to continue the Tourist-Visa hop.  But everyone doing this should have a "Plan B" for what to do if/when they do decide to put yet more Thais out of work by denying even more self-funded farangs from entering, as has already been done with additional visa-exempt restrictions, increasing the cost of ED Visa options, etc.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Some have managed a lot more than 8 TR visas and still been allowed entry. This is even with those visas being back-to-back. Whether this will continue is a good question. Some immigration officials at airports are taking a jaundiced view of the practice though, strictly legally, they are powerless to stop it unless there is evidence of illegal working.

'Suspicion' of illegal working can be enough.

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

'Suspicion' of illegal working can be enough.

What do you think the suspicion would be?

What do they based it from? If there is no hard evidence, but they suspect you of workin (even if you are not) what do you think they make that judgment from? By the way you dress? Just the mood they are in?

23 minutes ago, acenase said:

What do you think the suspicion would be?

What do they based it from? If there is no hard evidence, but they suspect you of workin (even if you are not) what do you think they make that judgment from? By the way you dress? Just the mood they are in?

Probably.

A few years ago one of my friends took his girlfriend to UK and he waited a while as his girlfriend was questioned for a long time by Imm'. He asked what the problem was and said 'she already has a visa, why all the questions? '

Answer he got was, Just wait Sir because it's my decision to allow entry or not even if she has a visa.

Not just Thailand, it happens everywhere.

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

A few years ago one of my friends took his girlfriend to UK and he waited a while as his girlfriend was questioned for a long time by Imm'. He asked what the problem was and said 'she already has a visa, why all the questions? '

Answer he got was, Just wait Sir because it's my decision to allow entry or not even if she has a visa.

Not just Thailand, it happens everywhere.

IOs have more discretion to deny-entry for various reasons in many other countries.  In the USA, a person can be denied entry on a Tourist Visa if they admit to "knowing a girl there online" or even "if they have family in the USA" - because they "might seek" to change to an immigrant-visa status.  Meanwhile, illegal-immigrants who actually harm citizens' lives can flood in to live and work illegally - with "protected" status in many areas of the country.  This is somewhat similar to how foreigners from countries bordering Thailand can enter easier than foreigners from wealthier nations who are much less likely to seek illegal work.  Granted, however, provinces in Thailand do out outwardly violate national immigration laws with impunity to keep labor-pay rates for citizens at poverty levels (as cities and states do in the USA).

In Thailand, the IO has a list of only very specific reasons they can deny entry, though some IOs (airports) are not happy about this state of affairs, it seems.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:48 AM, JackThompson said:

In Thailand, the IO has a list of only very specific reasons they can deny entry, though some IOs (airports) are not happy about this state of affairs, it seems.

When I lived in mainland China, my Thai girlfriend often stayed with me. She had a valid visa for China, and no-one there ever questioned her what she did in China. Bummer - every month she had to do a border run, which took her to the Hong Kong border. Those creeps grilled her every single time, and let her wait in the immigration waiting room for up to 2 hours! The HK immigration asking her: "What are you doing in China, and when are you going back to Thailand..." - Because of that I had to give up my lucrative job in China, cause my girlfriend just couldn't go through this nonsense every single month. Hope, all HK people will be deported to mainland labour camps in 2047! And no whining about 'no democracy' anymore, please.

Edited by StayinThailand2much