Why do Thai drivers continually modulate the throttle?

VocalNeal

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Misunderstanding as l see it, it's your opinion of who you say do not know how to drive correctly.

Ever seen a downhill stretch of road where you don't need to brake.

Ever seen the traffic lights change to red way up ahead where you have no need to get to quickly you can just coast to them.  

Ever seen a kid run out into a road...? 

A competent driver is taught to be in control of the vehicle at all times, you argue that IYO there are certain times when it is safe not to have engine braking, brake servo assistance and powered steering on vehicles designed for it/them??

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Ever seen a downhill stretch of road where you don't need to brake.

Yes, but you don't go into neutral.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Ever seen the traffic lights change to red way up ahead where you have no need to get to quickly you can just coast to them. 

Yes, but you don't go into neutral. In a manual slow down by downshifting, breaking when necessary, popping into neutral when stopped and apply handbrake. In an auto slow down by feathering brakes until stopped remain on the brake pedal and apply handbrake.

Maybe you should check the internet for things you shouldn't do in an automatic. Coasting downhill is one of them. Manual; never ride the clutch.

Edited by dinsdale

9 hours ago, Lokie said:

Ever seen a kid run out into a road...? 

A competent driver is taught to be in control of the vehicle at all times, you argue that IYO there are certain times when it is safe not to have engine braking, brake servo assistance and powered steering on vehicles designed for it/them??

l understand have children of my own and OK Patong says is all,  you are the advanced driver in the south. :laugh:

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Yes, but you don't go into neutral. In a manual slow down by downshifting, breaking when necessary, popping into neutral when stopped and apply handbrake. In an auto slow down by feathering brakes until stopped remain on the brake pedal and apply handbrake.

Maybe you should check the internet for things you shouldn't do in an automatic. Coasting downhill is one of them. Manual; never ride the clutch.

BS. but OK brainwashed HSE.com carrying on living in your western bubble. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

l understand have children of my own and OK Patong says is all,  you are the advanced driver in the south. :laugh:

No not really mate, but I do know how to drive and ride bikes safely (and what does Patong have to do with the price of fish?)

I hope you don't carry out your excellent driving techniques with the children in your ride at same time... really mate, is not the best thing to do, think about what could happen unexpected while 'coasting' in examples you gave yourself? and here in LOS?? (i.e anything could happen when all seems ok)

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

BS. but OK brainwashed HSE.com carrying on living in your western bubble.

Magnificent retort. Guess you checked the internet. No one likes a sore loser. Reality is you're wrong. If you can find anything that states coasting down hill is ok please post it. That's that. Don't know where you're from but maybe you could modify your driving habits for yourself, your family if you have one (no dis-respect), your car, everyone in your car and everyone who may get in front of your car when you're "coasting". Stay safe.

p.s. w..t..f is HSE.com and I don't live in a "western bubble" what ever that means, I live in Thailand and have for many years(15+). 

Edited by dinsdale

9 hours ago, Lokie said:

No not really mate, but I do know how to drive and ride bikes safely (and what does Patong have to do with the price of fish?)

I hope you don't carry out your excellent driving techniques with the children in your ride at same time... really mate, is not the best thing to do, think about what could happen unexpected while 'coasting' in examples you gave yourself? and here in LOS?? (i.e anything could happen when all seems ok)

Agree when in very busy areas but it's just not like that in many places all over Thailand.

The argument on safe driving is a wide subject and will go on forever as well as over the top rhetoric on doing something in a safe situation.

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Magnificent retort. Guess you checked the internet. No one likes a sore loser. Reality is you're wrong. If you can find anything that states coasting down hill is ok please post it. That's that. Don't know where you're from but maybe you could modify your driving habits for yourself, your family if you have one (no dis-respect), your car, everyone in your car and everyone who may get in front of your car when you're "coasting". Stay safe.

p.s. w..t..f is HSE.com and I don't live in a "western bubble" what ever that means, I live in Thailand and have for many years(15+). 

6234834_orig.jpeg.df5086dcf9f992ff4078ab19a1d04966.jpeg

• 2 months later...

There is no good reason to shift a modern automatic transmission into Neutral while moving, it even deactivates your stability control if you have it. I know one lady who shifts her Mazda minivan into N everytime she decelerates. Won’t listen. She also won’t believe keeping the equivalent of the entire contents of a small home garage in the car has an effect on fuel economy.

“OK your’re right but never letting you drive my vehicle”.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 18/09/2017 at 9:03 PM, dinsdale said:

Well I didn't say this. Maybe you've misread my post. I'm saying if you go into neutral going down hill you will have to use your brakes to slow you down where you should be using a lower gear/engine braking. Autos do have lower gears so you can drop down and feather your brakes. Going downhill in neutral is only for those who do not know how to drive correctly.

Going downhill in neutral is actually reserved for idiots in any country.

On the flat slowing down to stop at lights should be done using the brakes and matching gear to engine and road speed meaning at all times when braking you are still in the correct gear at the correct time.

Manual or auto when stopped at the lights both cases should be handbrake on and in neutral.

Re' the throttle getting gently massaged while driving was something my wife was guilty of until I pointed out that on long journeys when I was driving we used a lot less of the go juice. That appealed to her and she slowly got out of the habit.

Edited by overherebc

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

On the flat slowing down to stop at lights should be done using the brakes and matching gear to engine and road speed meaning at all times when braking you are still in the correct gear at the correct time.

A mechanic once pointed out to me that brake linings are much cheaper to replace than gearboxes.

50 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

A mechanic once pointed out to me that brake linings are much cheaper to replace than gearboxes.

:laugh: l would've said the clutch pressure plate on manuals, autos not really a prob these days but good practice putting in 'N' when in long wait situations.

I like my 'N' bad habits and it's my choice.

51 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

:laugh: l would've said the clutch pressure plate on manuals, autos not really a prob these days but good practice putting in 'N' when in long wait situations.

Fairly essential on a vintage Harley or was it Indian with the 

'dead man's foot operated clutch' at a busy junction. 

Sometimes called suicide clutch.

images (7).jpeg

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Neutral stopped at traffic lights, saves wear and tear on an automatic and a manual clutch pressure plate - yes.

Coasting when moving in neutral - no. Less control of the vehicle. Are there still d******ds that do that?

4 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Neutral stopped at traffic lights, saves wear and tear on an automatic and a manual clutch pressure plate - yes.

Coasting when moving in neutral - no. Less control of the vehicle. Are there still d******ds that do that?

With manual yes and not good with auto only when stopped.

Don't care what you think or what you do when driving.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

With manual yes and not good with auto only when stopped.

Don't care what you think or what you do when driving.

Never have had a demerit point on any driver's licence. Last accident I had was about 40 years ago, when a drunk rear-ended me when I was stopped at a traffic light. Maybe his brain was in neutral as well.

The brake/gearbox thing has a text book answer and a real application answer depending on which optima you're seeking.

F1 Cars are designed not only to win, but to be survivable with sacrificial progression of the entire cars design.  It's cargo (the person) are the most valuable.

Mass produced cars are designed for economic write off and being sued as little as possible.

Pickups are a tribe of their own.  Imagine an unbreakable ladder chassis and an engine.  You point and squirt and it does what it should, within the confines of natural law.  The person is a 'wetware' error to be tolerated and managed.

I sold the pickup.