Removing windshield to install protection/tint film ? Is it usual process ?

bleble

hello,

Sorry to ask this in a separate post I am so surprises that the shop where I asked removes the cars windshields to install the protection film, is it usual ?

No risk of any bad job or leak ? What about all sensors for automatic wipers, etc.. ?

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Never heard of that...:sad:

Really?  But film is always installed inside the car right ? so how do they do it ?

I am sure that the big shop that I visited removes the windshield as they were working on 3 cars when I went there, but am I wrong to find it scary ?

Thank you.

Just now, bleble said:

Really?  But film is always installed inside the car right ? so how do they do it ?

I am sure that the big shop that I visited removes the windshield as they were working on 3 cars when I went there, but am I wrong to find it scary ?

Thank you.

Yes inside, but l would never put the stuff on the screen anyhooo, except above eye level...:stoner:

37 minutes ago, bleble said:

so how do they do it ?

With a cutter knife, water, a hotair gun, patience, and skill. First lay it on outsides, blow hot air on it so the film takes the contour of the glass, then wet the inside and put it on. Squeeze the water out between glass and film and cut it to form. Done.

39 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

With a cutter knife, water, a hotair gun, patience, and skill. First lay it on outsides, blow hot air on it so the film takes the contour of the glass, then wet the inside and put it on. Squeeze the water out between glass and film and cut it to form. Done.

so you mean that they don't need to move the windshield ?

About 3M crystaline, the darkest CR40 already looks totally clear on the windshield, I don't think that it change vision even at night:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835624

If I'm not mistaken no more than 30% filter (of visible light) is the max in Thailand. 

Of course, people exceed that all the time - I don't and don't feel there is any need to, air-con works well... and the car would get hot it parked in the sun all day even with 100% tint / block.

In answer to the Ops question: NO.. it most definitely is not necessary to remove the windscreen or any windows upon installing tint. 

Op: did they give you any reason for wishing to remove the windscreen? or are you simply assuming they might?

Tinting car windscreens is dangerous. May seem fine in the daylight, but night vision is very definately darkened, and in Thailand, the last thing you need is diminished vision ...... night or day.

I'm guessing that many expats would be of senior age, and let's be honest, our eyesight is no longer as good as it used to be, particularly at night.

Windscreen tinting is banned in many countries, for good reason.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If I'm not mistaken no more than 30% filter (of visible light) is the max in Thailand. 

Of course, people exceed that all the time - I don't and don't feel there is any need to, air-con works well... and the car would get hot it parked in the sun all day even with 100% tint / block.

In answer to the Ops question: NO.. it most definitely is not necessary to remove the windscreen or any windows upon installing tint. 

Op: did they give you any reason for wishing to remove the windscreen? or are you simply assuming they might?

It's a shop that works for insurance companies and also change windshields, so I guess that they are trained to remove any windshield. So, because they know how to do and because it is easier to install film on a removed windshield, maybe the reason why they do it this way ? I had never seen this before also.

5 hours ago, electric said:

Tinting car windscreens is dangerous. May seem fine in the daylight, but night vision is very definately darkened, and in Thailand, the last thing you need is diminished vision ...... night or day.

I'm guessing that many expats would be of senior age, and let's be honest, our eyesight is no longer as good as it used to be, particularly at night.

Windscreen tinting is banned in many countries, for good reason.

Having 3M cristaline is like having nothing, perfectly clear, even the darkest. But it protects from heat and UV.

Many people have a tint on their windscreen and do not even know because it's light.

34 minutes ago, bleble said:

It's a shop that works for insurance companies and also change windshields, so I guess that they are trained to remove any windshield. So, because they know how to do and because it is easier to install film on a removed windshield, maybe the reason why they do it this way ? I had never seen this before also.

Why would you remove the windscreen unless it was broken? Makes no sense whatsoever. Anyway, it isn't normal practice to remove a windscreen for tint, and as many will tell you, it's not necessary to have tint on a windscreen, side and rear windows are sufficient.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Why would you remove the windscreen unless it was broken? Makes no sense whatsoever. Anyway, it isn't normal practice to remove a windscreen for tint, and as many will tell you, it's not necessary to have tint on a windscreen, side and rear windows are sufficient.

Many can tell anything they think it's true, but I always had a tint because of course it is useful to protect an expensive German car interior leather from sun. And many still do not seem to understand that with 7500 thb (for windshield) tint, one can see exactly as clearly as without film.

Thank you for your reply.

35 minutes ago, bleble said:

Many can tell anything they think it's true, but I always had a tint because of course it is useful to protect an expensive German car interior leather from sun. And many still do not seem to understand that with 7500 thb (for windshield) tint, one can see exactly as clearly as without film.

You're clearly more knowledgeable on the subject than anyone else posting here. Any chance you could post a video of the shop removing your windscreen to install the new film? I'm sure many would find it of interest.

2 hours ago, kkerry said:

You're clearly more knowledgeable on the subject than anyone else posting here. Any chance you could post a video of the shop removing your windscreen to install the new film? I'm sure many would find it of interest.

No because I won't do it at this shop. Thank you for the kind words :-)