Drinking Very Cold Water.

NoshowJones

I have just recovered from a sore throat when I lost my voice completely. I have never had a really sore throat since I came to Thailand, My wife says I should not drink very cold water.

I do regular exercise, so I drink a lot of cold water. Is there any truth in what she says? Thanks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, tonray said:

No.. That's an Asian thing handed down from Chinese superstition. Cold water is warm by the time it reaches your gut. No effect

Thanks, I don't think I could survive here without drinking cold water.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

No.. That's an Asian thing handed down from Chinese superstition. Cold water is warm by the time it reaches your gut. No effect

I was told not to drink cold water also when I had sore throat. It has nothing to do with when it gets to the gut. It has to do when passing through the throat. Also warm water is best to drink anyways health wise.

11 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I was told not to drink cold water also when I had sore throat. It has nothing to do with when it gets to the gut. It has to do when passing through the throat. Also warm water is best to drink anyways health wise.

There is no scientific evidence that warm water is healthier. 

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Nothing at all wrong with drinking cool or cold water. Superstition.

Thanks Sheryl, spoken to my wife again. She meant that you should not take cold

water along with these pills you get, as that is what her doctor told her.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Nothing at all wrong with drinking cool or cold water. Superstition.

I completely agree with you but how do you tell this to the Thai medical establishment?  Do they threaten to banish you from the country when you tell them this? 

8 hours ago, amvet said:

I completely agree with you but how do you tell this to the Thai medical establishment?  Do they threaten to banish you from the country when you tell them this? 

I Just Don't take medical advice from people who rather believe in superstition and amulets than medical science.... 

Gee doctors in Canada have told me warm water is easier on the digestive system.It gets into the system quicker. Cold water takes longer and heats the body because the body must generate heat to warm it before the body can use it properly But hey these are Canadian doctors what do they know?

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

Gee doctors in Canada have told me warm water is easier on the digestive system.It gets into the system quicker. Cold water takes longer and heats the body because the body must generate heat to warm it before the body can use it properly But hey these are Canadian doctors what do they know?

That must be why cold drinks warm you up in the dead of a Canadian winter....ha ha. I bet they also eat Pizza with pineapple...how can they be trusted ?

I'm a 65 years old, caucasian Canadian, live in Canada, travel a lot in the tropics for months at a time, sometimes living for many months in Thailand, Cambodia, soon the Philippines and back to Thailand... been drinking cold water all my life.. the colder the better as long as it isn't frozen..      Ice cubes in it.    I've never had a problem with it.  Never gotten a sore throat.   

I've never heard of it causing sore throat.  

Of course in SE Asia or India or Africa... any third world and many second world countries.... you should stick to sealed bottled water....even for brushing your teeth.   When I'm renting an apartment in SE Asia, I will only use the tap water for showering, being careful to not get the water in my mouth. And for cleaning my butt with the Butt Gun.....

Perhaps you have an underlying problem that was already there in the background.  Ice water itself never caused me any problems..

Do you smoke ?    Smoke anything ? Then quit !      Are you in a city with very bad air pollution?   Possible throat infection ?   See a doc... 

Edited by Catoni
spelling correction

8 hours ago, speedtripler said:

I Just Don't take medical advice from people who rather believe in superstition and amulets than medical science.... 

Good advice, but who are the people giving advice who believe in superstition and amulets and base it on their medical advice? I would imagine Thai doctors and nurses would act on what they are taught during their training, and a lot of them are trained in Western countries.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I recall the hospital bringing me ice cream after having my tonsils out.. Cold must be soothing...

Yes, that is very true, in the UK I was always told that ice cream was good for sore throats.

Mrs Possum was horrified when I told her I was going out to buy some ice cream.

When I was a kid, my parents were always  complaining about me complaining of sore throats.

Edited by possum1931

23 minutes ago, cooked said:

Ice water in a restaurant = tap water, possibly with a bad taste. Only time I got Thai gut rot was after drinking iced water in a restaurant. Stick to beer.

I am not a drinker, but don't they put ice cubes in beer?

I twice got bronchitis and was told by doctors here that it was because I drank water cold from the fridge. I changed to room temperature water and have not had a problem in the 5-6 years since. Co-incidence? I used to hate room temperature water but made myself get used to it. Now I don't like it cold from the fridge. I do occasionally have a cold coke or root beer from the fridge, but as I don't do that regularly I guess it's irrelevant in the big picture.

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have always drank ice cold water in the twelve years I have

lived in Thailand, and hardly ever have I had diarrhea.

Lucky for you.

Now I don't have a fridge , so no temptation to drink it , even when it is too hot like 11 months a year here.

16 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

I get diarrhea from drinking very cold water .

Cold water does not cause Diarrhea !

If you have it then you have either parasites or a compromised digestive system...cold water may simply be a trigger for an underlying problem that should be addressed.

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am not a drinker, but don't they put ice cubes in beer?

Quite often..   Their ice cubes could be perfectly fine.  I would guess most of the very popular bars/restaurants get their ice cubes from a safe source.  But you can never know for sure unless you investigate.

But I would assume that when you have such a business.... you don't want to make your customers sick. You would soon get a very bad reputation and lose your business.

You're going to source your ice cubes from respectable good source.

In all my time in Thailand and Cambodia, I never got sick from ice cubes in my drinks ...regular Coca Cola.. or hard drinks..   But I also only went to establishments that had been around and in business for years, and had good reputations among both locals and expats.

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Cold water does not cause Diarrhea !

If you have it then you have either parasites or a compromised digestive system...cold water may simply be a trigger for an underlying problem that should be addressed.

We're in Thailand , everything causes diarrhea :smile:.

Just now, BuaBS said:

We're in Thailand , everything causes diarrhea :smile:.

Not if you are healthy .... get yourself checked out. Many people acquire chronic amoebic infections that stay with them for years....a simple course of meds can take care of that.

3 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Quite often..   Their ice cubes could be perfectly fine.  I would guess most of the very popular bars/restaurants get their ice cubes from a safe source.  But you can never know for sure unless you investigate.

But I would assume that when you have such a business.... you don't want to make your customers sick. You would soon get a very bad reputation and lose your business.

You're going to source your ice cubes from respectable good source.

In all my time in Thailand and Cambodia, I never got sick from ice cubes in my drinks ...regular Coca Cola.. or hard drinks..   But I also only went to establishments that had been around and in business for years, and had good reputations among both locals and expats.

I have had ice cubes just about everywhere, small stalls to Mall shops. They all buy from the same large suppliers in a city. It costs too much in electricity to make your own ice....cheaper to buy than to use tap water and freeze your own...and small Thai food sellers will not spend more than they have to. 

All are very safe as far as I am concerned. Too many nervous nellies here.