Tax Increased for Cigarettes and Alcohol from Saturday Sept 16

snoop1130

Tax Increased for Cigarettes and Alcohol from Saturday Sept 16

by CityNews

info2-1024x941.jpg

CityNews – The cabinet has approved a new set of excise tax rates which will come into effect on September 16th affecting the price of alcohol, cigarettes and playing cards.

Cigarettes tax will be collected both from volume and value, calculated per cigarette. In term of volume, both cigarette producer and importers will be taxed 1.5 baht per cigarette, increased from 1.1 and then, in term of value, the taxation is divided into two rates, 20% tax for a pack of cigarette that is being sold below 60 baht and 40% tax for above.

According to BBC Thailand, under this new excise tax, a pack of 20 cigarettes are expected to increase by roughly 30 baht.

This new taxation aims to lower the gap of low-priced cigarette and high-priced cigarette. It was reported by Bangkok Post that most of the cheap cigarettes are produced by Thai companies and will be taxed less as they are below the 60 baht threshold.

For alcohol, the new tax structure is changing the leverage between taxing the value and the volume from 80:20 to 60:40. In layman’s terms, alcohol will be taxed depending on its alcohol percentage as opposed to its retail price used currently.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/tax-increased-for-cigarettes-and-alcohol-from-saturday-sept-16/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2017-9-15

This is absolute madness, in the west we are used to annual excise increases in line with inflation of maybe between 1-3% but this is twice now this government has increased the mentioned products by huge amounts - anything from 30-80% in one go, this is absolute lunacy and will have a crippling effect on business and tourism, all because the current PM doesn't drink or smoke, his own personal preferences should not be involved in governing the country, this is going to hurt every aspect of Thailand society and tourism, it is stupidity beyond belief.

The correct way to work this out is by looking at your competitive markets in the region and you aim to compete not completely destroy yourself - your people - your tourism and your economy.

Prayut Chan-o-cha, from this day forward I completely withdraw what little support I had remaining, you have shown yourself to have absolutely no clue about Business - Finance and Economics, what you are doing is shameful  

30 Baht increase on a pack of cigarettes and 37 Baht on a beer?????

Are they <deleted> crazy?

I thought my dad was nuts when he bought 36 cases of beer today, but clearly he was not.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed: 8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Autocracies (can't use the correct term) tend to be puritanical when it comes to the behavior of the common people (not the "quality people").  Closing times being enforced, 300 meter rule being enforced and now a big tax increase on alcohol and tobacco. 

This may go too far.  37 baht a bottle increase on already expensive (by regional standards) beer is going to cut into sales.   The families that own Singha and Chang breweries are rich and influential, and can probably find other rich and influential allies to explain to the junta that a tax on common folk will hurt the bottom line of quality people.

BTW, the latest victim of the 300 meter rule is Ai Sushi restaurant on Huay Kaew.  Even though it is clearly a restaurant and not a bar, it is close to a high school and can no longer sell beer.  That will definitely hurt its business.

Edited by heybruce

what it ultimately boils down too is that we have military men getting involved in national commerce and showing that they have absolutely no clue and are well out of their depth. They have definitely not taken any experts under advisement but rather it seems made choices based on certain personal ideals and are trying to impose them on the whole country, this will result in a huge failure and cause massive economic damage. 

They have also stepped well outside normal process when making various military procurements - well while I'm here I'll buy those subs I've always wanted but in reality don't actually need ..... as one example, there are many things wrong with Thailand and buying subs isn't going to address any of them, it adds no value to the country and certainly not the people.

There have been some positives but this isn't one of them, they really need to go back to the drawing board and think this through with the help of people that actually know what they are doing. 

13 hours ago, smedly said:

This is absolute madness, in the west we are used to annual excise increases in line with inflation of maybe between 1-3% but this is twice now this government has increased the mentioned products by huge amounts - anything from 30-80% in one go, 

In the United States we are used to large cigarette tax increases in some of our states, although not all.  California just increased it's cigarette tax this year from US$0.87 to US$2.87 a pack.   This year instead of a tax, Oklahoma is adding a US$1.50 "fee" to its US$1.01 tax per pack.   New York state is the highest with a tax of US$4.85 per pack, plus New York City charges an additional tax for cigarettes sold in the city.  The mayor of New York wants to raise the city cigarette tax to US$2.50 making a pack of cigarettes sold in the city cost US$13.  

There is also a federal/national tax of US$1.01 per pack that is not included in the state taxes that I mentioned.

A few years ago a man, Eric Garner, selling untaxed cigarettes in New York City was killed by police. 

14 hours ago, ezflip said:

Am I reading this right? Playing cards?

Excuse me while I rush of to BigC and stock up on playing cards.

Gambling is illegal in Thailand and Thais associate playing cards with gambling.

A group of foreigners playing bridge were arrested in Pattaya.  I believe the oldest player was in their 80s.

17 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Gambling is illegal in Thailand and Thais associate playing cards with gambling.

A group of foreigners playing bridge were arrested in Pattaya.  I believe the oldest player was in their 80s.

Must un-install my Microsoft Soltaire Colection from my PC.

if they start taxing sex I am absolutely confident the majority of posters here will start bashing Thai women and affectionately embrace the charms of Big and Beautiful western women.

Just too funny watching all the people who call me a thai basher lose their sh.. over alcohol taxes.

loling and Rolfing at this development

Grog shop in Theprassit Road Jomtien closed for the last few days, thinking that TODAY, she would be inundated with customers & will make a killing with the price hike ????? Ummmm, really, I like many others bought up supplies BEFORE today.. I fail, but am not surprised, at the (il)logic !