Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the wine suppliers will just up the % of fruit juice they mix in already as a tax dodge.

The truth is the rich Thais won't give a **** it just hits the ordinary Thais but the secondary gain is the Junta will be even MORE hated than they are now.

I only drink imported beer and it was already expensive but I doubt another 10% will stop anyone who likes to drink or smoke.... 

It will probably hurt the kids more than anyone else because if they parents are addicted anyway there's less cash for the ordinary household stuff like food and clothes

4 hours ago, maeab101 said:

This is good news for Thailand.

Absolutely!

Higher taxes means higher prices.
Higher prices means fewer drinkers.
Fewer drinkers means fewer bars.
Fewer bars means fewer tourists.
Fewer tourists means fewer people to complain about higher prices.

It's a win-win!

Just now, Techno Viking said:

It is my understanding the new price does not come into effect until Sept 1st.

Today is Sep. 16?

Everything I've read says "immediately" and "effective today", but presumably all product which has left the production facility is under the previous "scheme", and anything leaving as of today is under the new "scheme"?

The "authorities" did this in a confusing manner to keep everyone off-guard and prevent a run on stock. I guess?

Lord, forgive them for they don't know what they are doing.

I've seen Thai-plated police cars at the duty free shop in Thanaleng (Lao side of the friendship bridge) being loaded by uniformed Thais; guess that "import" back to Thailand has not seen any duty.

In landlocked Laos beer retails for LAK 10'000 in a restaurant for the big 0.6l bottle, that clocks THB 45 of very quaffable beer. Any wine, lest forget the spirits are less than half the price of Thailand and they still make not only money but it includes duty, wholesale and retail commission as well and is facing higher logistic costs due to the landlocked location of Laos - go figure!

I assume that smuggling through certain unformed channels will reach new heights while the real boozer bigwigs doing the Mekong, Saengsoms, the LaoKhaos etc. will pump out even more of their local firewaters. 

Thailands biggest enemy is and stays its people at the helm - how sad! 

11 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Unfortunately the wine suppliers will just up the % of fruit juice they mix in already as a tax dodge.

The truth is the rich Thais won't give a **** it just hits the ordinary Thais but the secondary gain is the Junta will be even MORE hated than they are now.

I'm pretty sure most Thais won't give a flying f.ck about the price of wine!

So what will be the increase per bottle of beer?I guess that is what a lot of people would like to know.
It will not last long anyway,as soon as they find out this increase will actually make them less money they will revoke this real fast.

Unfortunately not , as with the western world [emoji289] they go up every 6 months , never go down . Answer never eat before drinking . It's a lot cheaper to get the same affects.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am in czech rep right now and a great glass of Czech pilsner is around 20BHT!! A glass of wine is about 25BHT. Thais have once again put another nail in the tourist coffin. No one from the west wants to pay 5X more for <deleted> thai lager beer! Idiotic

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm pretty sure most Thais won't give a flying f.ck about the price of wine!

My post was in two parts was hoping you would grasp that? first part was about wine. Second part, separated,  was a more general point about ALL booze and, last time I looked, Thais like their beer.

The way I read it based on volume a beer at .375l x .05 alcohol x 420baht = 7.87 baht per bottle  (small) I dont understand however if they intend that, plus 22%  of retail value.

Either way I'm sure the local and ferlang bar owners will be hiking their price by far more and blaming the tax hike! 

EDIT just re read it and it appears its both! Might be something like 40 baht x 22% plus 7.87 baht for the volume = 16.67 Baht tax!

Edited by eiszele2005
Error

I ran into a strange situation last night (15/9/17).
I tried to purchase a carton of cigarettes from two of the local stores, 
where I usually can always find several cartons of cigs available.
Yet last night, there were no shops willing to sell a carton,
just packs, and not more than two packs.

What was really strange, was that these same shops are family owned, 
and these stores typically sell alcohol all day, and night, while they are open, 
regardless of what the laws state for sell times.

Yet they were all to happy to prohibit the sell of cartons on the day before the price hike...

Today, after the increase, it's business as usual.

Happened to me this morning, restricted to 2 packets of cigs at 7/11. Must have thought I was trying to stock pile before the tax hike.

I had just been reading about the tax about 10 minutes before so no arguments ensued with the 7/11 staff.....

18 minutes ago, eiszele2005 said:

The way I read it based on volume a beer at .375l x .05 alcohol x 420baht = 7.87 baht per bottle  (small) I dont understand however if they intend that, plus 22%  of retail value.

Either way I'm sure the local and ferlang bar owners will be hiking their price by far more and blaming the tax hike! 

The tax per can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2 .66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326861

Prices were the same in the ma & pa shop near my house. Not checked out the 7/11 yet though. Like most I think the size of the increase in the tax is the main problem not the actual tax itself. I hope that the general Thai public kick up a stink about it and the moron that made this decision gets a good slap around the head. 

24 minutes ago, KMA said:

I am in czech rep right now and a great glass of Czech pilsner is around 20BHT!! A glass of wine is about 25BHT. Thais have once again put another nail in the tourist coffin. No one from the west wants to pay 5X more for <deleted> thai lager beer! Idiotic

Please don't make posts like that - you've spoilt my day!

41 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Today is Sep. 16?

Everything I've read says "immediately" and "effective today", but presumably all product which has left the production facility is under the previous "scheme", and anything leaving as of today is under the new "scheme"?

The "authorities" did this in a confusing manner to keep everyone off-guard and prevent a run on stock. I guess?

yeah my bad meant October.

anywho got 25 boxes of Leo being delivered for the current price, that will keep me going for 6 months before any price hike becomes an issue.

17 minutes ago, hocuspocus said:

So my large Leo is going up from 95 Baht to what price tonight? What a stupid way to put up prices,why can't they say prices up by 5 Baht or something like that for a large beer. Third World Country but we love it don't we?

So when does it go up when old stocks run out l guess.

Bought 3 large Changs today in 7-11 @ 158 baht.

Went aft later into new town bar/shop l go and still 53 baht.

Just got back from 1 beer at soi bar/shop 50 baht.