No memorial service for 90 victims of OG269 crash in Phuket

rooster59

No memorial service for 90 victims of OG269 crash in Phuket

The Phuket News

1505555836_1.jpg

A McDonnell Douglas MD-82 crashed in Phuket on September 16, 2007, leaving 90 dead and 40 injured. Photo: NTSB / Wikimedia Commons

PHUKET: There will be no official memorial service in Phuket to remember the 90 people who died in the crash of One-Two-Go flight on this day 10 years ago.

Phuket's deadliest air disaster since the opening of Phuket International Airport happened on September 16, 2007, when a One-Two-Go aircraft crashed during an attempted go-around after an aborted landing.

A McDonnell Douglas MD-82 with 123 passengers and 7 crew members on board was performing a scheduled Bankok-Phuket flight (OG269). The plane was scheduled to land at around 3.40pm but shortly before that ground control denied landing and instructed the crew to execute a go-around. The plane crashed into one of the runway embankments and burst into flames.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-memorial-service-for-90-victims-of-og269-crash-in-phuket-63914.php#t9QrFL3GGCywIsrg.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-16

27 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

A McDonnell Douglas MD-82 crashed in Phuket on September 16, 2017, leaving 90 dead and 40 injured. Photo: NTSB / Wikimedia Commons

I know I had a couple of beers, well more than a couple, 

But isn't September 16  2017 today?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Typo fixed. Changed the 1 to a 0.

Thanks, 

I usually ,just scan a story before I read it to see if it's of any interest before I invest time and precious brain cells  on it.

Initially I was confused  (not a difficult thing to happen to me:sad:). and had to read it twise, it took a while but eventually my remaining three good brain cell fired up ,  I realised it was a typo, and my juvenile intellect decided to make a jock of it.  

Now that you repaired it people will be wondering what the heck I am talking about and would suggest I have a few more beers, which in the balance of it, is not such a bad suggestion.:laugh:

To be fair why is there a need for all these memorials? It seems that people are off all grief stricken at the drop of a hat these days.

I completely forgot it was the date of another event last Monday, although others would have been wailing and beating their chests.

Nothing to do with 'covering it up'- life moves on. This may seem callous to some but a memorial would have had little effect for those not involved in this incident.

Edited by Psimbo

People should remember this particular tragedy. Because, for anyone who takes the time to learn the history of this crash, it's a telling and frightening lesson in just how bad and poor aviation safety can get in this country. Not just because the jet crashed, but the reasons it crashed and how the airline was operating at the time without any meaningful oversight by the government's aviation regulators.

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

No need to bother remembering anything negative, plenty of tourists are still coming, brush it under the carpet and hope everyone forgets.

It's the Thai way.

Like various other tourist aircraft having accidents anywhere in the world?

Must be the worlds' way, or maybe profit's way.

Some TV members may recall that a spirit house memorial was erected close to Nai Yang beach, just outside the airport boundary fence, (because the airport authorities refused to allow this small memorial to be placed on their land).

Only a few months later, that memorial disappeared during the night.......