TV no longer most about visas, now about booze and cigs

inThailand

In the past, most posts were about getting or renewing a visa. But based on the number and quick posts, it's now about the price of beer and cigarettes. <comment on moderation removed>

Why are Tv posters so concerned about booze and fags?

Edited by Crossy

Because visas and extensions are a once a year or 90-day type thing but beer and cigarettes (at least for some) is an everyday event.

When some say that they need a reason to get up in the morning, I have replied that their reason to get up in the morning may be that they ran out of beer and cigarettes the night before.

Edited by JLCrab

Beer is healthy for you. It actually lowers the blood pressure if you have 1 or 2 glasses of it. I am dissapointed the Government is penalising me for leading a heathy lifsetyle if you must know.

As for 'fags' i steer well clear of homosexuals if i possiby can - although there are many of them amongst us.

Other than work, if you are actually allowed to do such a thing, what else is there in Thailand ?  It is not a playground for intellectual activities.  There is good food and some eye candy.  Found Thailand stifling, so I left and only return if needed.   

Edited by yellowboat

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Other than work, if you are actually allowed to do such a thing, what else is there in Thailand ?  It is not a playground for intellectual activities.  There is good food and some eye candy.  Found Thailand stifling, so I left and only return if needed.   

so you come to TVF for intellectual stimulation..............................

and guess what...you are not needed

Edited by tryasimight

22 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

so you come to TVF for intellectual stimulation..............................

Intellectual stimulation:cheesy: thats a cracker.

Also i dont care about the price of beer and cigs, never smoked, cannot drink now ( due to medication ) so not affected by price increases.

Also with the way the pound is at the moment, after my pension has been paid, i need a magnifying glass to see any change in my bank balance.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

No intellectual stuff.....I am gasted and flabbered at the thought that l may have been wasting my time here...facepalm.gif.a7f39015a5ca1bae84f9cf816e20d422.gif

5 hours ago, wombat said:

if TV members didn't have something to whinge about their day would not be complete

Generally they don't even need something identifiable to whinge about. Each first of April there is some ridiculous post made that is obviously unbelievable and just some far-fetched April Fools joke,  but TV posters go berserk trying to demonstrate their intellectual superiority by proclaiming TIT and blaming Thai culture or education, unaware they're proving how foolish they themselves are.

Remember the 1st April when it was alleged that Thailand was switching to driving on the right side of the road in stages. First private cars and later commercial vehicles?? Or the post claiming that you could do 90 day reports at 7/Eleven??  The whingeing or fault-finding went hyperbolic . And some people were still asking how to do 90 reports at 7/Eleven months later.

Sadly a fair number of people in the TV community are a few fries short of a happy meal.

Edited by Suradit69

12 hours ago, inThailand said:

In the past, most posts were about getting or renewing a visa. But based on the number and quick posts, it's now about the price of beer and cigarettes.

Well once you have your visa sussed, why would you continue to talk about it?  I think most topics here are either cultural observations or current news.

3 hours ago, transam said:

No intellectual stuff.....I am gasted and flabbered at the thought that l may have been wasting my time here...facepalm.gif.a7f39015a5ca1bae84f9cf816e20d422.gif

I think you'll find there's a wide range of opinion on what constitutes intellectual stuff. Now where have I put that Captain Marvel comic?

4 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

"Why are Tv posters so concerned about booze and fags?"

When starting an OP,  please next time make an effort to be a little more precise.

Why are some Tv posters so concerned about booze and fags?

Thank you :jap:

Based on the number and speed of posts it's more like most.

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

You are obviously mixing in the wrong circles dear boy!

15 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Because visas and extensions are a once a year or 90-day type thing but beer and cigarettes (at least for some) is an everyday event.

When some say that they need a reason to get up in the morning, I have replied that their reason to get up in the morning may be that they ran out of beer and cigarettes the night before.

I think it goes into discretionary income. Many are on such a tight budget that even a small increase in beer or cigarette prices means they will have to cut down on something else. I have never seen so many Westerners rolling cigarettes with the cheapest local tobacco and drinking whatever was the cheapest beer.  

1 hour ago, Blackheart1916 said:

You are obviously mixing in the wrong circles dear boy!

Perhaps, but I was one of the last of many in my circle to leave.  There are some remaining who are in relationships with Thai nationals who have remained, but if you enjoy your work and want to continue, Thailand just about the most stifling place in Asia.  It does have some wonderful benefits, but those are better enjoyed outside the country.  

The Thai government recently changed the basis of taxing alcohol and tobacco. Many people, me included, did not understand the affect on prices and a general discussion took place. Sorry if this upset the OP. Perhaps he or she could let us know what subjects meet with their approval.

10 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Generally they don't even need something identifiable to whinge about. Each first of April there is some ridiculous post made that is obviously unbelievable and just some far-fetched April Fools joke,  but TV posters go berserk trying to demonstrate their intellectual superiority by proclaiming TIT and blaming Thai culture or education, unaware they're proving how foolish they themselves are.

Remember the 1st April when it was alleged that Thailand was switching to driving on the right side of the road in stages. First private cars and later commercial vehicles?? Or the post claiming that you could do 90 day reports at 7/Eleven??  The whingeing or fault-finding went hyperbolic . And some people were still asking how to do 90 reports at 7/Eleven months later.

Sadly a fair number of people in the TV community are a few fries short of a happy meal.

I understand some of that comment,

but let's face it April 1st happens here at least every few weeks...

:wink:

On 9/16/2017 at 3:33 PM, JLCrab said:

I have a much better reason for getting (it) up in the morning?

Edited by HerbalEd