Retirement visa expired.

On 17 September, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Jack james said:

I had my passport stamped in Cambodia before I left to go abroad. Thai border gave me 1 year stamp. I was told thats all I needed to return, then renew my retirement visa. Customs told me no. They gave me 30 day visa. Now what?

Firstly, you need to be absolutely clear in what you write otherwise people will not understand what you are talking about. You had your passport "stamped" in Cambodia before leaving to go abroad....  what do you mean by this?  Then "Thai border gave a 1 year 'stamp' " - what does that mean.  You do not get a one year 'stamp' at a Thai border.  Was that on entry or exit? Be clear.  If you want people to help you, and I am guessing that is why you wrote here, then you must be clear, otherwise you leave people speculating about what your problem is.

There is an absolute mine of information in the visa section of this website.  It is very informative, and if you search the various threads you can fine the information you need.  Which is why I am thinking that you are trolling this site in order to waste people's time.  Either that, or you are severely challenged some way mentally, in which case nobody can help you.

I am guessing that English is not your first language, as you seem unable to express yourself clearly and lucidly.  May I suggest the excellent German and/or French language websites based in Pattaya and Chiangmai.  Maybe you will get a better and more fuller answer there.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks Tanoshi,

One question :

Surely I can get an extension ( 1 year ) of my permission to stay on 21/06/2018 rather than get another visa ?

Absolutely.

You can apply for an annual extension within the last 30 days of any 90 day permission to stay, provided you can meet the financial requirements.

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can apply for an annual extension within the last 30 days of any 90 day permission to stay, provided you can meet the financial requirements.

I think you meant a one year permit to stay since he has a OA visa.

7 hours ago, Jack james said:

I am new to all this. These answers are very confusing and I am not getting clear answers. What should have I done in my situation to keep my visa from expiring. What didn't I do right. Please make it simple. Most of the replys are from people that are experienced, and for a newbie it is hard to follow.

Appreciate that Jack.

Firstly you cannot stop a Visa from expiring. All Visas have an 'enter before' date at which point the Visa has expired.

You can only obtain a new Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand.

When you enter Thailand you are given a 'permission to stay' date.

The permission to stay date is completely different from the expiry date of a Visa.

You obtained a Non Imm O-A Visa in Aug 2016. It had an enter before date of 4th August 2017.

Under the conditions of that Visa each entry allows you to stay for 1 year (permission to stay until ..........)

You must have exited Thailand at some point and returned in April 2017 so were given permission to stay until April 2018.

You didn't stay though, you exited Thailand again on 1st May 2017 and did not return before your Visas 'enter before' date of 4th Aug 2017, so your Visa had expired along with any allowable entries. 

If you had re-entered on 3rd August 2017 (before the Visa expired) you would have been given permission to stay for another year until Aug 2018.

If you are going to leave the Country and return after your Visa expires, you must purchase a re-entry permit, which will allow entry after the expiry date of your Visa, but keep any permission to stay date valid.

You unfortunately did not understand the difference between the 'enter before' date on your Visa and the 'permission to stay' date given on your previous entry to Thailand, so didn't purchase a re-entry permit.

Your not the first to fall foul of this misunderstanding and you won't be the last either.

• Like 2

@Jack james

There are only 4 options available for you to stay in Thailand long term.

The Non Imm O multi entry Visa. Valid 1 year. 

The Non Imm O-A Visa. Valid 1 year.

Thai Elite Visa. Valid 5 years, costs 500,000 baht

Annual extensions of 'permission to stay' based on retirement or marriage.

Each one carries different conditions to qualify.

Perhaps if you could tell us your age and what periods you stay in Thailand for, we could advise better.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

The Non Imm O multi entry Visa. Valid 1 year. 

The Non Imm O-A Visa. Valid 1 year.

Thai Elite Visa. Valid 5 years, costs 500,000 baht

Annual extensions of 'permission to stay' based on retirement or marriage.

The above is essentially correct with a correction.

The Non Imm O multi entry Visa. Valid 1 year. - This visa does NOT allow you to stay in Thailand long term, you would be required to depart and re-enter Thailand every 90 days.

As you originally had an O-A visa, then you must be over 50 years old, so in my opinion, your best way forward would be to get a Non-O single entry visa and apply to extend the stay based on retirement for a further year in Thailand, noting that there are financial requirements etc. to fulfil prior to applying for an extension.

2 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

Not all countries will issue a Non Immi O ME Visa for one year,based on retirement.

So that is a red herring.

Which is why I stated 'each one carries a different conditions to qualify'.

Please state where I said based on retirement for a Non Imm O ME.

Your adding your own wording to what I stated.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

The above is essentially correct with a correction.

The Non Imm O multi entry Visa. Valid 1 year. - This visa does NOT allow you to stay in Thailand long term, you would be required to depart and re-enter Thailand every 90 days.

As you originally had an O-A visa, then you must be over 50 years old, so in my opinion, your best way forward would be to get a Non-O single entry visa and apply to extend the stay based on retirement for a further year in Thailand, noting that there are financial requirements etc. to fulfil prior to applying for an extension.

Another one adding conflicting wording.

I only stated the Non Imm O ME Visa was valid for 1 year.

My statement is correct, you didn't make a correction, you made an addition of the terms of entry of the Visa, i.e. each entry is valid for 90 days.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Another one adding conflicting wording.

I only stated the Non Imm O ME Visa was valid for 1 year.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I beg to differ, as there were no conflicting words whatsoever, your statement was that 'there are only 4 options for you to STAY in Thailand long term',

By definition, he cannot STAY in Thailand on a Non O ME visa, plus he would also need to have a valid reason to apply for this type of visa and most likely if retirement, then from his home country.

Granted, if he wishes to leave the country every 90 days, then the ME O visa would be an option, not sure that it would work mind if it didn't on on OA visa!

41 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I beg to differ, as there were no conflicting words whatsoever, your statement was that 'there are only 4 options for you to STAY in Thailand long term',

By definition, he cannot STAY in Thailand on a Non O ME visa, plus he would also need to have a valid reason to apply for this type of visa and most likely if retirement, then from his home country.

Granted, if he wishes to leave the country every 90 days, then the ME O visa would be an option, not sure that it would work mind if it didn't on on OA visa!

Then lets agree to disagree on the term 'staying' in Thailand.

Thousands of expats married to a Thai 'stay' in Thailand on the Non Imm O ME Visa for up to 17 months if used correctly.

The fact they spend 30 minutes 3 times a year in Lao to turn around and re-enter hardly omits the fact that they spend the other 364 days 22 1/2 hours 'staying' in Thailand. I'd call that staying long term, but if you want to be pedantic!

By definition, no Visa allows you to stay in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Which is why I stated 'each one carries a different conditions to qualify'.

Please state where I said based on retirement for a Non Imm O ME.

Your adding your own wording to what I stated.

Read the OP again and look at the topic heading ...

On 9/17/2017 at 1:32 PM, pby92 said:

As it's impossible to state if the op has:

A single Non Imm O Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate

or:

A multi entry Non Imm O Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate

or:

An extension of stay based on retirement obtained from an Immigration office.

its impossible to give a correct answer 

May be he can make pictures of stamps in his passport 

The only intelligent answer to the OP so far. The number of people that will  "guess" his circumstances is amazing. Only the mods are giving out correct info.

2 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

Read the OP again and look at the topic heading ...

Oh, I've read every post, which is more than some have.

The topic heading is deceiving. What is a Retirement Visa???

It was only on page 2 we discovered the OP had a Non Imm O ME Visa (long stay)

He's now on a 30 day Visa exempt entry.

30 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Oh, I've read every post, which is more than some have.

The topic heading is deceiving. What is a Retirement Visa???

It was only on page 2 we discovered the OP had a Non Imm O ME Visa (long stay)

He's now on a 30 day Visa exempt entry.

I was just looking and there is no such visa as a Non Immigrant O ME Visa. This from the Royal Thai Consulate Los Angeles where I got my last two O visas. And the OP had a Non Immigrant O-A, which are now only multi entry but you can extend you stay by doing a 90 report or by re-entering before the expire date.

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA ( Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand )
Purpose of visit :
- To conduct business, attend conference, or to work (Category “B”)
- To study (Category “ED”)
- To visit family (Category “O”)
- To conduct scientific research or training (Category “RS”)
- To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned (Category “RA”)
- To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter (Category “M”)
- To perform official duties (Category “F”)
- Retirement/Long-Stay )Category "O-A")
- Other activities (Category “O”)

1 hour ago, Jimi007 said:

I was just looking and there is no such visa as a Non Immigrant O ME Visa. 

um stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand )

Please get your facts correct.

There is a Non-O single entry 

There is a Non-O Multiple Entry (Non Immigrant O ME Visa)

I have one at the moment.

Non-immigrant visas 

Validity of visa
- The single entry visa must be utilized within 90 days from the date of issuance. 

-Multiple entries must be used within 1 year from the date of issuance

source

Royal Thai Embassy Tokyo

Non-Immigrant Visa 
  Single entry
9,000 Yen
  1 Year Multiple entry
22,000 Yen

you can not extend your stay by doing a 90 day report. 

If you are in Thailand more than 90 days you must do a report.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Please get your facts correct.

There is a Non-O single entry 

There is a Non-O Multiple Entry (Non Immigrant O ME Visa)

I have one at the moment.

Non-immigrant visas 

Validity of visa
- The single entry visa must be utilized within 90 days from the date of issuance. 

-Multiple entries must be used within 1 year from the date of issuance

source

Royal Thai Embassy Tokyo

Non-Immigrant Visa 
  Single entry
9,000 Yen
  1 Year Multiple entry
22,000 Yen

you can not extend your stay by doing a 90 day report. 

If you are in Thailand more than 90 days you must do a report.

As I said O-A visas are multi entry only now. They used to be single or multi. Where in the list I provided from the US Consulate is there an O ME? It is not a category of visa. O, OA, B etc are. On my visas (yes I have many) it has a  category (O or O-A) and then entries; S or Multi. Still no O ME. I guess it's just some TV jargon... You are correct about a 90 day report not being an extension of stay, but if you don't report, you are subject to fines. 

4 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

As I said O-A visas are multi entry only now. They used to be single or multi. Where in the list I provided from the US Consulate is there an O ME? It is not a category of visa. O, OA, B etc are. On my visas (yes I have many) it has a  category (O or O-A) and then entries; S or Multi. Still no O ME. I guess it's just some TV jargon... You are correct about a 90 day report not being an extension of stay, but if you don't report, you are subject to fines. 

Non-Immigrant Visa 
  Single entry
9,000 Yen
  1 Year Multiple entry
22,000 Yen
  3 Years Multiple entry for
holders of the APEC Business Travel Card or related documents
44,000 Yen
Non-Immigrant Type O-A "Long Stay" Visa 
22,000 Yen 
(1 Year Multiple entry)

So

Non-O SE 

Non-O ME

Non-O-A (all now) ME

and FWIW for tourists 

SETV

METV

If you prefer from your consulate 

Non-Immigrant Visas :
- Single Entry - No single-entry Non-Immigrant O-A Visas US$80.00
- 1 Year Multiple-Entry (each entry 90 days)
- Non-Immigrant "O-A" Long-Stay Retirement Visa (one year stay)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:
Non-Immigrant Visa 
  Single entry
9,000 Yen
  1 Year Multiple entry
22,000 Yen
  3 Years Multiple entry for
holders of the APEC Business Travel Card or related documents
44,000 Yen
Non-Immigrant Type O-A "Long Stay" Visa 
22,000 Yen 
(1 Year Multiple entry)

So

Non-O SE 

Non-O ME

Non-O-A (all now) ME

and FWIW for tourists 

SETV

METV

If you prefer from your consulate 

Non-Immigrant Visas :
- Single Entry - No single-entry Non-Immigrant O-A Visas US$80.00
- 1 Year Multiple-Entry (each entry 90 days)
- Non-Immigrant "O-A" Long-Stay Retirement Visa (one year stay)

ROFLMAO

• Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 10:19 AM, Frotting said:

Firstly, you need to be absolutely clear in what you write otherwise people will not understand what you are talking about. You had your passport "stamped" in Cambodia before leaving to go abroad....  what do you mean by this?  Then "Thai border gave a 1 year 'stamp' " - what does that mean.  You do not get a one year 'stamp' at a Thai border.  Was that on entry or exit? Be clear.  If you want people to help you, and I am guessing that is why you wrote here, then you must be clear, otherwise you leave people speculating about what your problem is.

There is an absolute mine of information in the visa section of this website.  It is very informative, and if you search the various threads you can fine the information you need.  Which is why I am thinking that you are trolling this site in order to waste people's time.  Either that, or you are severely challenged some way mentally, in which case nobody can help you.

I am guessing that English is not your first language, as you seem unable to express yourself clearly and lucidly.  May I suggest the excellent German and/or French language websites based in Pattaya and Chiangmai.  Maybe you will get a better and more fuller answer there.

No need to be insulting. I'm an american. I posted picks of my passport earlier. It was a 1 year stamp from the border of Thailand. 

In my opinion it is your job to find out WHAT immigration wants WHAT forms you need to fill in, understand 90 day report, what visa do I need, re-entry permit etc etc. - YOUR job and YOUR job alone!!

You can not expect from Immigration Officers (at land crossings, immigration offices and airports) to explain to you ( in one minutes as more people are waiting) what kind of papers you need for your stay in Thailand.

Every person comes from a different country and everyone has different requirements and to make it even more difficult some Immigration Offices maybe even have additional requirements.

So again it is YOUR job and not THEIR job to find out what YOU need, Immigration Officers only check if the papers you give to them are correct for your situation.

If you have no idea, use Internet / Thai Visa to find out what you need in your situation.

Before people start to complain that the requirements are not clear, correct - welcome in Thailand :-)

Edited by Cloggie

15 hours ago, Cloggie said:

In my opinion it is your job to find out WHAT immigration wants WHAT forms you need to fill in, understand 90 day report, what visa do I need, re-entry permit etc etc. - YOUR job and YOUR job alone!!

You can not expect from Immigration Officers (at land crossings, immigration offices and airports) to explain to you ( in one minutes as more people are waiting) what kind of papers you need for your stay in Thailand.

Every person comes from a different country and everyone has different requirements and to make it even more difficult some Immigration Offices maybe even have additional requirements.

So again it is YOUR job and not THEIR job to find out what YOU need, Immigration Officers only check if the papers you give to them are correct for your situation.

If you have no idea, use Internet / Thai Visa to find out what you need in your situation.

Before people start to complain that the requirements are not clear, correct - welcome in Thailand :-)

don't assume... I went to thai immigration office before I left to go home,and asked what I needed to do . I knew I wouldn't be back before my o a visa expired. He told me a border run is all I needed to keep my visa active. That was bullsheet. 

14 minutes ago, Jack james said:

don't assume... I went to thai immigration office before I left to go home,and asked what I needed to do . I knew I wouldn't be back before my o a visa expired. He told me a border run is all I needed to keep my visa active. That was bullsheet. 

The only explanation that makes any sense would be that the immigration officer advising you at that time was either not made aware, or didn't fully understand, that you would be returning after the enter before date on the visa.

The correct advise would have been a reentry permit.

At least you do now know the way forward.

32 minutes ago, Jack james said:

He probably told you that a border run, ie, out/in same day by land or air 'before' the 'enter by date' was required. Once done you would then need a re-entry permit multi entry for future out/in travel during the second year.

Simple misunderstanding, not Bullsheet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack james said:

Don't really on their terminology. There English is usually limited to referring to 'extensions' as Visas.

This is one reason you need to understand the difference between the conditions of a Visa and the conditions of your 'permission to stay' .

Doing a border run before your Visa expired would have given you a new 12 month permission to stay stamp, but if you wanted to leave and re-enter during that permission to stay period and your Visa expired in-between, then you needed a re-entry permit.

According to your stamps, you didn't do a border run, you left at a Cambodian border, then returned to the US.

On 9/19/2017 at 11:17 AM, Tanoshi said:

Appreciate that Jack.

Firstly you cannot stop a Visa from expiring. All Visas have an 'enter before' date at which point the Visa has expired.

You can only obtain a new Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand.

When you enter Thailand you are given a 'permission to stay' date.

The permission to stay date is completely different from the expiry date of a Visa.

You obtained a Non Imm O-A Visa in Aug 2016. It had an enter before date of 4th August 2017.

Under the conditions of that Visa each entry allows you to stay for 1 year (permission to stay until ..........)

You must have exited Thailand at some point and returned in April 2017 so were given permission to stay until April 2018.

You didn't stay though, you exited Thailand again on 1st May 2017 and did not return before your Visas 'enter before' date of 4th Aug 2017, so your Visa had expired along with any allowable entries. 

If you had re-entered on 3rd August 2017 (before the Visa expired) you would have been given permission to stay for another year until Aug 2018.

If you are going to leave the Country and return after your Visa expires, you must purchase a re-entry permit, which will allow entry after the expiry date of your Visa, but keep any permission to stay date valid.

You unfortunately did not understand the difference between the 'enter before' date on your Visa and the 'permission to stay' date given on your previous entry to Thailand, so didn't purchase a re-entry permit.

Your not the first to fall foul of this misunderstanding and you won't be the last either.

Thank you... That's the best explanation yet. I think my best option now is go for non o. Going for boarder run every 90 days no big deal. Thanks!