Retirement visa expired.

21 hours ago, xerostar said:

They can even give you wrong information, if they don't want to be bothered understanding your particular circumstances.

seems many of us assume the immigration officers are helpful and competent; isnt necessarily so, add the cases where they are just simply racist (meaning they are in the wrong job) and you get lots of opportunity to run afoul of the immigration morass

14 minutes ago, Jack james said:

What are my options to stay long term? If I stay 3 months, it will be in december, after 2017 do I get another 3 months?

What 3 months are you asking about.

You can extend your 30 day entry for 30 days at an immigration office. 

12 minutes ago, Jack james said:

What should I have done to renew my visa? How?

Your visa cannot be renewed. You would have to go back to the states to apply for a new OA visa.

You can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based upon retirement at an immigration office.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income by way an income affidavit done at the US embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You would first have to a apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry apply for the one year extension.

54 minutes ago, Jack james said:

Your Visa was only valid for 1 year.

It expired on 4th August 2017.

Read my previous post (30) to understand how a Non Imm O-A Visa works.

The validity of a Visa and the validity of your permission to stay are not the same.

Although you were previously given permission to stay until 18th April 2018, you chose to leave again on 1st May 2017 and your Visa expired on 4th August 2017.

To keep your permission to stay valid after the 'enter before' date of the Visa you needed to obtain a re-entry permit if you intended to return after the expiry date of the Visa.

1 hour ago, Jack james said:

What are my options to stay long term? If I stay 3 months, it will be in december, after 2017 do I get another 3 months?

You have a 30 day Visa exempt which you can extend for another 30 days.

Short term Tourist Visa valid for 60 days + 30 day extensions = 90 days.

Long term return to US for another O-A Visa, or obtain an extension of stay based on retirement as advised by UJ in post 35.

On 9/17/2017 at 12:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is incorrect information. You have no amount of days to get another extension. The extension ended as soon as the 30 day stamp was done. You have to start all over again by getting a new non-o visa entry and then apply for another extension.

My O-A visa issued in USA will expire will expire July 18. If I return to Thailand before that date I know I can get extension of stay. Would I also have the option of  going to CW and getting re-entry permit only which would give me an additional year on the original visa ?  Less hassle than extension of stay and I spend only 6 months a year here now. I am used no getting new visa every other year.

18 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

My O-A visa issued in USA will expire will expire July 18. If I return to Thailand before that date I know I can get extension of stay. Would I also have the option of  going to CW and getting re-entry permit only which would give me an additional year on the original visa ?  Less hassle than extension of stay and I spend only 6 months a year here now. I am used no getting new visa every other year.

If you enter anytime up to July 18th 2018, you will be given a 1 year permission to stay stamp.

The Visa is multi entry until the 'enter before date' at which time the Visa expires along with the ME facility.

If you entered in July 2018, you'll be given permission to stay until July 2019.

Once the Visa expires though you then need a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay from July 2018 - July 2019 valid.

Single or ME re-entry permits are available.

A re-entry permit does not give you an extra year on the Visa.

A re-entry permit allows you to re-enter and keep any remaining time of the 1 year permission to stay period valid after the Visa has expired, 

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

You get "an additional year on the original visa" only by leaving and returning to Thailand before the Visa's "enter before" date - not by visiting an Immigration office in Thailand.  Therefore, if you return before the "enter before" date of July 18 on a Non-OA Visa, you would get one year "permitted stay" (not an extension) from your date of entry. 

At that point, you can apply for the re-entry permit, to preserve your "admitted until" date, in case you leave and return to Thailand after the "enter before" date on your Non-O-A Visa has passed.  All a re-entry stamp does, is preserve whatever "admitted until" date was last stamped in your passport.   

20 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Get a multiple entry re-entry permit at the same time as you do the annual Non-O visa extension. That way, you never have to think about it for another year and you'll be bullet-proof.

An annual Non O visa would be a multi entry so a re-entry permit would not be needed. A conversion to an extention of stay at the end of the annual Non O visa would require a re-entry permit. At the time of conversion to an extension of stay would mean the original visa is finished, gone, dead and was only the basis the extension of stay was issued on. It may be referred to in the extension but it has not been extended. That's why they usually stamp USED on it.

And yes a non O-A is different.

Edited by overherebc

37 minutes ago, overherebc said:

An annual Non O visa would be a multi entry so a re-entry permit would not be needed. A conversion to an extention of stay at the end of the annual Non O visa would require a re-entry permit. At the time of conversion to an extension of stay would mean the original visa is finished, gone, dead and was only the basis the extension of stay was issued on. It may be referred to in the extension but it has not been extended. That's why they usually stamp USED on it.

And yes a non O-A is different.

What?

17 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

What?

Do you mean what is an annual non  O visa ?

I'm on my 12th and they are only issued as multi entry requiring 90 day in/out trips from Thailand.

Except of course the O-A which is issued as a 1 year visa requiring 90 day reports and not in/out. That one ( Non O-A ) could be called a retirement visa, it can also last two years with one in out at the end of the first year and continuing 90 days reports, or you could leave and return as often as you like during it's life span and then carry on with 90 day reports unless you leave and re-enter before the 90 days is up. 

Edited by overherebc

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Do you mean what is an annual non  O visa ?

I'm on my 12th and they are only issued as multi entry requiring 90 day in/out trips from Thailand.

Except of course the O-A which is issued as a 1 year visa requiring 90 day reports and not in/out. That one ( Non O-A ) could be called a retirement visa, it can also last two years with one in out at the end of the first year and continuing 90 days reports, or you could leave and return as often as you like during it's life span and then carry on with 90 day reports unless you leave and re-enter before the 90 days is up. 

No.

What is your point with regard to my post that you quoted?

44 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

No.

What is your point with regard to my post that you quoted?

You stated annual non O visa. They can only be issued outside Thailand and if for one year will be multi entry. So they don't require a re-entry permit.

Edited by overherebc

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

You stated annual non O visa. They can only be issued outside Thailand and if for one year will be multi entry. So they don't require a re-entry permit.

This is what I said:-

"Get a multiple entry re-entry permit at the same time as you do the annual Non-O visa extension".

See? Annual Non-O visa extension. The extension is issued within Thailand, 30 to 45 days before the Non-O visa, or, previous one year extension is due to expire.

Your comments are non-sequitur.

47 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

"Get a multiple entry re-entry permit at the same time as you do the annual Non-O visa extension".

See? Annual Non-O visa extension. The extension is issued within Thailand, 30 to 45 days before the Non-O visa, or, previous one year extension is due to expire.

You cannot extend a Visa.

The Visa expires on the 'enter before' date.

It is not an extension of a Non O Visa, it is an annual extension of your permission to stay.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I just extented my last 90 day entry on my Non O visa by 60 days. That's the maximum extention you can get on any 90 day entry on your valid Non O visa.

Soon I will either get a new Non O multi entry visa or I might get a one year extension of permission to stay based on being 'retired'.  At 'that' point I will no longer have a visa. I will have a one year permission of stay requiring 90 day reports, if I leave Thailand I will need a re-entry permit to keep my permission to stay live.

I've been on Non O visa multi entries for many years and have never done a 90 day report.I've been inside an Imm office  for a cert of residence and the last 60 day extension of my 90 day entry on my Non O VISA.

If you are doing 90 day reports you don't have a visa unless it's an O-A.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I just extented my last 90 day entry on my Non O visa by 60 days. That's the maximum extention you can get on any 90 day entry on your valid Non O visa.

Soon I will either get a new Non O multi entry visa or I might get a one year extension of permission to stay based on being 'retired'.  At 'that' point I will no longer have a visa. I will have a one year permission of stay requiring 90 day reports, if I leave Thailand I will need a re-entry permit to keep my permission to stay live.

I've been on Non O visa multi entries for many years and have never done a 90 day report.I've been inside an Imm office  for a cert of residence and the last 60 day extension of my 90 day entry on my Non O VISA.

You must have a non immigrant O visa or O-A visa in order to apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement. You can also go the O visa married to a Thai national route for a one year extension of stay based on marriage, which is a bigger pain than the retirement extension. But you must have a non immigrant visa from some year either O or O-A in order to get a one year extension. O-As used to be fairly easy 12 years ago when I first got one, now they are a pain to get the police clearance. The last two times I was out of the country when my one year extension expired. No big deal for me. I'm married to a Thai. I just applied for the O based on marriage, then after 60 days applied for a one year extension based on retirement. Easiest way for me these days. The marriage one year extensions require loads of photos and documentation, your whole family going to the Immigration office. Here is a thread on one year extensions based on marriage. 

I'm on an O-A visa ( entry before date 17/10/2017 ).
I'm currently on an " admitted until date " of 21/06/2018 but realise I need a re-entry permit after 17/10/2017.

I'll be leaving the country 10/10/2017 for 6 weeks so will need a re-entry permit for my return.

What is the procedure/requirements for obtaining a multi re-entry permit. ?

17 hours ago, Jack james said:

I am new to all this. These answers are very confusing and I am not getting clear answers. What should have I done in my situation to keep my visa from expiring. What didn't I do right. Please make it simple. Most of the replys are from people that are experienced, and for a newbie it is hard to follow.

4 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

If you are doing 90 day reports you don't have a visa unless it's

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

This is confusing. What do you mean 90 day reports?

3 hours ago, Jack james said:

See if I got this now. I have a 30 allowance now. So now I go get another visitor visa for a 30 visa which can be extended up to 90. While I apply for a type O?

I posted this on page 3.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What 3 months are you asking about.

You can extend your 30 day entry for 30 days at an immigration office. 

Your visa cannot be renewed. You would have to go back to the states to apply for a new OA visa.

You can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based upon retirement at an immigration office.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income by way an income affidavit done at the US embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You would first have to a apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry apply for the one year extension.

It shows how not understanding the difference between a Visa and an Extension causes self inflicted problems.
When someone states they have a Retirement Visa, it could mean either;
A single Non Imm O Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate
A multi entry Non Imm O Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate
An extension of stay based on retirement obtained from an Immigration office.

Even the most experienced on TV can only give informative answers after establishing which of the above they actually have.
The biggest clue is right there under your nose in your Passport.

In my case a multi entry Non Imm O visa obtained via an agent in Bangkok. Later I tried unsuccessfully to get an extension at Changwattana. Was told the best to start over and get one in Oz.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I'm on an O-A visa ( entry before date 17/10/2017 ).
I'm currently on an " admitted until date " of 21/06/2018 but realise I need a re-entry permit after 17/10/2017.

I'll be leaving the country 10/10/2017 for 6 weeks so will need a re-entry permit for my return.

What is the procedure/requirements for obtaining a multi re-entry permit. ?

Hi Andrew,

Yes you'll need a re-entry permit to re-enter.

You realise the permit will only keep your current 'admitted until date' valid (21/6/18).

Your Visa will expire on 17/10/17 and your permission to stay will expire 21/6/18, then you need another Visa.

You can obtain a re-entry permit from your Immigration office or at the Airport.

TM 8

1 x 4x6cm Passport photo.

Passport

Copy of passport homepage.

Copy of current Visa

Copy of last entry stamp

TM6 + copy

The fee (3,800 baht multi)

TM 8.pdf

Edited by Tanoshi

That is incorrect information. You have no amount of days to get another extension. The extension ended as soon as the 30 day stamp was done. You have to start all over again by getting a new non-o visa entry and then apply for another extension.

Well that is what happened. I didn't need to reapply. But it was a few years ago when things were flexible.

9 minutes ago, ICECOOL said:

Well that is what happened. I didn't need to reapply. But it was a few years ago when things were flexible.

They either did a conversion process, or you were extremely fortunate and met a sympathetic IO on a good day.

23 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Hi Andrew,

Yes you'll need a re-entry permit to re-enter.

You realise the permit will only keep your current 'admitted until date' valid (21/6/18).

Your Visa will expire on 17/10/17 and your permission to stay will expire 21/6/18, then you need another Visa.

You can obtain a re-entry permit from your Immigration office or at the Airport.

TM 8

1 x 4x6cm Passport photo.

Passport

Copy of passport homepage.

Copy of current Visa

Copy of last entry stamp

TM6 + copy

The fee (3,800 baht multi)

TM 8.pdf

Thanks Tanoshi,

One question :

Surely I can get an extension ( 1 year ) of my permission to stay on 21/06/2018 rather than get another visa ?

Edited by Andrew Dwyer