New beer prices

aussiesteve63

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about a box of beer.

This is what is in the news

The tax on a can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2.66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2.

Source. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1002604-cigarettes-alcoholic-drinks-to-cost-more/

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

I was amazes Beer prices in Shag City were the same as I payed upcountry , 65 to 90 ish , then realized it was only a half bottle n no Glass.[emoji481]?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

These small bottles are the worst invention ever. I try to avoid bars not selling big ones but it's getting pretty tough. Why should I pay 30% more just so the bar can sell more of their silly small bottles? Why not offer both sizes?

FYI, in proper Thai places you can't even get small bottles. This is all a farang and a rip-off thing.

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

I was amazes Beer prices in Shag City were the same as I payed upcountry , 65 to 90 ish , then realized it was only a half bottle n no Glass.[emoji481]?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If prices are the most important factor then choose the right places to drink....... Sutus Court bar and Katisiree were selling large LEO/Chang @ 65 Baht before the tax rise.

Don't know about boxes, but one m&p shop nearby is 57 baht for Leo large (was 55).

Another shop nearby charges 40 baht for a can of Leo (was 36) - and old stock too.  In a way I prefer that price, because with the right notes I can be in and out of there in 10 seconds rather than standing around waiting for minutes while they think about the change, count it on their fingers, then when that doesn't suffice, switch to the calculator, then check all their pockets for small coins...Arggh! let me do it for you.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

If prices are the most important factor then choose the right places to drink....... Sutus Court bar and Katisiree were selling large LEO/Chang @ 65 Baht before the tax rise.

No idea why this thread developed in the Isaan forum, but from Isaan to Soi Buakhao (Pattaya) for a beer is a bit far :biggrin:

(did the opposite travel yesterday)

My regular cafe opposite Hua Chang landing charges me Bt65 Leo (can't stand Chang), though tourists pay Bt70. I'm an old customer (12 yrs), speak Thai, advise owner,  correct menus (Thai & English), look after the place if she goes out. Suspect I'll pay Bt70 soon. It's fair.

According to my brother soi 7 bars well at least the ones he frequents Lovley Corner being his main watering hole will stay at 64bht a bottle 0600 to 1800 but will rise from 90bht to 100bht 1800 to 0600.

Edited by jeab1980

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

According to my brother soi 7 bars well at least the ones he frequents Lovley Corner being his main watering hole will stay at 64bht a bottle 0600 to 1800 but will rise from 90bht to 100bht 1800 to 0600.

Sounds like the tiered alcohol pricing I have seen in Singapore bars located in the tourist trap areas like Orchard where it is cheaper in the arvo but maybe double the price by midnight? They claimed it was to discourage excessive drinking (and driving?) as a night out drew to a close. The old, "drink's in, wit's out" mantra. We trumped the 'system' by playing Western Australia (Perth) rules of leaving the office on Friday for a long lunch and just not going back. Usually managed to stagger home by tea time. Left the weekends to the real tourists.