"Knorr" powder,what is it.

chiangrai

I saw my wife putting a powder in the food she was cooking.

I asked her what it was and she said it was "ka-naw".

I asked her what was in it and she didn't know and gave me the packet to read.

"Ka-naw" was"Knorr" which is a brand name I'm used to from Europe but that was the

only word I could read as the rest was in Thai.

Does any one know what this powder is and what is in it.

Chicken Knorr:  salt, monosodium glutamate, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, chicken fat, hydrolyzed soy/corn protein, dehydrated mechanically separated cooked chicken, dehydrated chicken meat, dehydrated chicken broth, autolyzed yeast extract, dehydrated onions & parsley, lactose, water, colour, spices & spice extract, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, citric acid, tartaric acid, hydrogenated soybean oil and sulphites.

Yummy!

15 hours ago, chiangrai said:

It could be stock alright.Knorr made stock cube in Europe.

This could be powdered stock.

If so I would love to know what the ingredients are,some thing tells me there

is a strong chance of some MSG in there as  well.

Repeat after me: there is NOTHING WRONG with MSG

On 9/18/2017 at 6:04 AM, Oxx said:

Chicken Knorr:  salt, monosodium glutamate, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, chicken fat, hydrolyzed soy/corn protein, dehydrated mechanically separated cooked chicken, dehydrated chicken meat, dehydrated chicken broth, autolyzed yeast extract, dehydrated onions & parsley, lactose, water, colour, spices & spice extract, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, citric acid, tartaric acid, hydrogenated soybean oil and sulphites.

Yummy!

A quote from "famous" chef Marco Pierre White:

"Knorr is the best f***ing ingredient in the world, let's not kid ourselves".... it is the best f***king ingredient, it is one that is a good deal better than the sum of its f***ing parts."

But: A Knorr chicken stock cube includes enough flavour enhancers (monosodium glutamate, disodium 5'-ribonucleotides and disodium guanylate) to scare off many health-conscious consumers. Even more people will be repelled by the presence on the label of hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is widely agreed to be harmful. Then there is the salt: one cube contains 4.25 grams - nearly 75 per cent of the recommended daily intake for an adult.

That, plus half a bagful of sugar makes all Thai food yummeeee!  Mai pen rai. :shock1:

I wouldn't knock broth cubes, I'm with 'ol Marco - Pierre on this one...if ye needa cup of chicken broth for a recipe whaddaya gonna do? simmer a carcass and some veges over night on the stove???

plus if ye check the list of ingredients of common local cooking sauces ye'll find that they don't do any better in the 'organic' department...

'better living through chemistry...'

btw, RoyDee is correct about the salt content...when using a broth cube fer the preparation always do a taste check before adding any additional salt...gonna use a suitably diluted broth cube fer the cup of chicken broth required for my chicken paprika tonight...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

On 9/17/2017 at 8:47 PM, chiangrai said:

It could be stock alright.Knorr made stock cube in Europe.

This could be powdered stock.

If so I would love to know what the ingredients are,some thing tells me there

is a strong chance of some MSG in there as  well.

I could be wrong but have a feeling there is 34% MSG. I will go up top and have a look once this downpour stops.

This will have to do for now.

Ingredients and Allergen Information. Salt, Maltodextrin,Monosodium Glutamate, Cornflour, Chicken Meat and Fat,Sugar, Permitted Flavouring (Contains Egg), Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein, Sodium Inosinate and Guanylate, Soy Sauce(Contains Wheat), Spices.